Question Controlls stop working when I launch a game

Portables
Either this happens all the time and it’s a really simple answer and I just didn’t search hard enough, or nobody has ever seen this problem before.

I finally got all the essential parts together for my portable and put it all together (outside of the case). But when I was testing it, I noticed something odd.
In the menu the controller worked just fine. As soon as I launched Wind Waker, however, controls stopped working entirely.
Something else interesting I noticed is that the game in the menu seems to dip below 60 or even 30 FPS from time to time, and the game doesn’t seem to fill the entire screen. This leads me to believe I may have received a fake copy that just plays a video file of the intro sequences. Could it be possible? I didn’t know fake GameCube games floated around eBay if it is.
And yes, it is being read from the disc drive.
What do you guys think? Do you think it’s a fake disc, or is there something even more interesting going on?

I'm having the same issue with super mario sunshine on my wii portable, I lose controller function through gc+ and im loading it in nintendont via usb

Portables
Not to derail your thread, but why not just make a Wii portable where you can load GC games easily from USB?
I already had a gamecube i had bought for portabalizing years ago and had done tons of research before Portablize Mii came around, so I decided I might as well finally finish a portable with the knowledge I had gained from taking an electronics class in school. It wasn't until I was pretty far in that I had heard about Wii portabalizing. I am planning on making a Wii Portable for my next project, but I want to finish this one first.

Portables
So I figured out the issue, and it was just a really stupid mistake I made. I accidentally hardwired the controller to the Player 4 port! :facepalm::XD:
I also hard wired the memory card to the wrong card slot as well.
I re-wired the two to the correct places and everything works just fine now. Lesson learned! Double check that you’re soldiering to the correct port.