Worklog The Galaxii Boi

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
No ragrets, contest entry ho!

Imma leave this here as a mental checklist so I don't forget what I have/need.

What I have:
  • A working NAND bend for impending LMAO trim
  • A spare Wii in case I BocuD the trim
  • Sliders, buttons, and PCBs for controls
  • Some dank little 20mm 2w speakers and assorted amps
  • GC+ with modified firmware for two stage momentary switches (Courtesy of based Aurelio)
  • 4x 3400mAh 18650s with protection PCBs (no mumbling here)
  • Assorted tact switches, sp4t power switch, shittons of wire and other misc gubbins
  • Programmer for a tart meme
  • Working hot air
  • Nice new set of assorted files and sandpaper
  • Screen
  • GCDual -sans two needed caps
  • Kester 951 boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
What I need:
  • OSHpark to make my boards.
  • Better iron tips
  • To finish designing a case
  • A fucking clue
Hoping to get this done before June starts as a sort of early birthday present to myself.

Last edited:
Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
You see, I thought you bumped my Thread, for my Galaxy boi, then I remembered I changed the name.

Do you plan to make it look galaxy/space theme?
When you say a "Better 3.5 inch screen" I'm assuming Vga memes?

ALSO THATS AlOt Of CaPs, nice memes

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You see, I thought you bumped my Thread, for my Galaxy boi, then I remembered I changed the name.

Do you plan to make it look galaxy/space theme?
When you say a "Better 3.5 inch screen" I'm assuming Vga memes?

ALSO THATS AlOt Of CaPs, nice memes
Yeah, I'm going to paint a Luma on it and such. And yeah I'm going to test a VGA meme.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So I did some tinkering, and thanks to some resources from Noah and a lot of help and suggestions from Aurelio, I think I have a new power solution to work with. It's pretty much a PowerMii Lite clone, reconfigured to run on a 1S4P battery setup. It's not the most optimal thing I've ever designed, but for a first project I'm quite happy with it.
powermyself.PNG

Haven't the foggiest what to name it yet. If anyone has any good ideas, I'm open. Design will be shared on OSHpark once I confirm it works reliably and efficiently enough to be worth it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Finalised the design and added DaftMike's low battery indicator circuit. Decided to go with the clone angle and call it "RunMii".

Looks pretty in purple, now for the case. I've decided that the DMG just isn't suitable for my martian hands, so I'm going to design a portrait case of approximately the same size.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Finalised the design and added DaftMike's low battery indicator circuit. Decided to go with the clone angle and call it "RunMii".

Looks pretty in purple, now for the case. I've decided that the DMG just isn't suitable for my martian hands, so I'm going to design a portrait case of approximately the same size.
OKay, Imma and an extra "I" to mine, then call it "RuinMii", and it'll explode after five uses.

Since you are designing a new case, are you still gonna do an lmao?

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
OKay, Imma add an "I" to mine, then call it "RuinMii", and it'll explode after five uses.

might wanna fix that ;)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
OKay, Imma and an extra "I" to mine, then call it "RuinMii", and it'll explode after five uses.

Yep, still probably doing LMAO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hit a snag with VGA, the GCDual isn't actually physically compatible with the Wii firmware. I've asked Unseen for help, but if he says no, this may be dead in the water for a while.

Last edited:

Bakuku

Portables
Hit a snag with VGA, the GCDual isn't actually physically compatible with the Wii firmware. I've asked Unseen for help, but if he says no, this may be dead in the water for a while.
Citrus3000psi said: “The best option would be to use the GCMax 1.2. Omit the hdmi, toslink, button and ir receiver. Then recompile the firmware for the Wii with an updated constraints file. I’m helping shank from bitbuilt forums right now on this”

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Citrus3000psi said: “The best option would be to use the GCMax 1.2. Omit the hdmi, toslink, button and ir receiver. Then recompile the firmware for the Wii with an updated constraints file. I’m helping shank from bitbuilt forums right now on this”
Ya, see, I don't have the tools or knowledge to do that.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
We have fucking liftoff!
20180517_164407.jpg

Biggest thanks to Aurelio for spending ages with me yesterday debugging this thing and doing his magic with the firmware so I had something flashable, and Unseen as well for being a massive legend and compiling a custom firmware package just for me!

Bakuku

Portables
Care to post some pictures of the wiring and customboard?

Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Sure, here it is. Excuse the shitty wiring, this was the literal 5th time I've done this wiring in two days and I was going fast to avoid further spine injury.
20180518_101431.jpg

It was actually pretty easy to do, almost everything was available on digikey. L1 is temporarily shorted because there was an inductor missing from the BOM, so I'm waiting on that now. One thing about these boards, they all arrived faulty. If you plan on assembling one, check every single one of those castellated vias (the vias on the bottom edge that are cut in half) for shorts against each other, voltage lines, and ground. All of my boards had shorted the 54MHz pad to the tiny ground vias to the right of the pad, the first board had all the VDATA input pads shorted to ground, and the DAC's RGBS outputs shorted to 5Vin which killed the DAC. So check all them edges under a magnifying glass and 600 grit sand/xacto knife away the edges until they're nice and separate.

Btw that FFC connector pad on the right is for a small ESD protected HDMI out board, this thing can output HDMI and VGA at the same time! I can also tell it to output at 240p, which is perfect for my screen since it's 320x240. So even though Aurelio's VGA patches are releasing soon, I'll be using it for this project. If anyone else is interested in building one of these for some reason, let me know and I'll give you the pinout and custom firmware bin.