Question Component video shielding

Portables
is there an easy way to make unshielded wire shielded? I already soldered unshielded video connections to my board and I noticed a bit of interference. Any ideas/ products I should know about?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
is there an easy way to make unshielded wire shielded? I already soldered unshielded video connections to my board and I noticed a bit of interference. Any ideas/ products I should know about?
Well, you could wrap tinfoil around the wire and solder ground lines to the tinfoil, but that's ghetto as fuck and will short on everything unless you then cover the tinfoil in electrical/kapton tape. Better to just replace the unshielded wires with shielded ones.

Besides that, the routing of your wires is important in regards to interference. Try to keep video wires away from power wires, regulators, and the cooling fan if at all possible. Video wires should also be as short as physically possible, and if using component video, as similar in length as possible.

Portables
Well, you could wrap tinfoil around the wire and solder ground lines to the tinfoil, but that's ghetto as fuck and will short on everything unless you then cover the tinfoil in electrical/kapton tape. Better to just replace the unshielded wires with shielded ones.

Besides that, the routing of your wires is important in regards to interference. Try to keep video wires away from power wires, regulators, and the cooling fan if at all possible. Video wires should also be as short as physically possible, and if using component video, as similar in length as possible.
Alright, thanks.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
If you have the Wii Wifi modules they use shielded wire that you can steal for your video. Though with just the two you may not have enough to wire up all the wires for component. Also if you are going to just wrap tinfoil around your wire plz at least put some heatshrink over it.

Portables
If you have the Wii Wifi modules they use shielded wire that you can steal for your video. Though with just the two you may not have enough to wire up all the wires for component. Also if you are going to just wrap tinfoil around your wire plz at least put some heatshrink over it.
Would I need to wrap each individual wire in foil or all 3 as a whole?

Luke

Portables
...Neither, replace what you have with shielded wire.

How on earth is unsoldering and resoldering a couple wires more troublesome than wrapping existing wires with tin foil and soldering wires to both sides of the tin foil and insulating the whole thing?

Last edited:
Portables
...Neither, replace what you have with shielded wire.

How on earth is unsoldering and resoldering a couple wires more troublesome than wrapping existing wires with tin foil and soldering wires to both sides of the tin foil and insulating the whole thing?
I was stupid and already hotglued everything.

Luke

Portables
Also if you still can't manage to get it off, it probably wouldn't be so bad to trim the wire as close as you can to the board, and then solder shielded wire to that.

Portables
I got all that nasty hotglue off without stripping any pads.:) I also found some old shielded video wire I had laying around. Time to go to work.