Question VGA Mod

Hey BitBuilt! Ive been lurking here for a while trying to create my own PS2 Portable. I am having a bit of trouble though, I cant seem to get working native VGA. I have wired the RGB signals coming from the A / V Port and am using the H and V sync signals from the CPU vias.
IMG_20180417_130642.jpg
IMG_20180417_130607.jpg

I have tried changing from YPbPr to RGB in the system menu but that still hasnt changed anything. I also tried using 270 Ohm resistors on the RGB signals but that still didnt work (read that somewhere online). So i am really at a road block and I don't know how to get past it. Has anyone got any ideas, surely I'm doing something wrong.

First of all, you need flux bro

Second, the H and V signals from the CPU vias are only 1.8 volts, the only way to use them for VGA is to use a logic level shifter to up their signal voltage to 3.3 or 5, I'm not sure which, @Gman knows

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Another thing to note is that the PS2 outputs interlaced 15KHz VGA. The standard for VGA is 32KHz progressive scan, so you need a specific LCD screen with a driver board that can accept and display the interlaced 15KHz signal. Such screens are uncommon and fairly expensive.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Second, the H and V signals from the CPU vias are only 1.8 volts, the only way to use them for VGA is to use a logic level shifter to up their signal voltage to 3.3 or 5, I'm not sure which, @Gman knows
VGA uses a 5v logic level. In my experiences, the screen doesn't care if it is 1.8v or 5v.
Such screens are uncommon and fairly expensive.
All the Dalian screens I've tried work fine. They aren't too uncommon

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread, I got called to go into work so I haven't been able to respond. Thanks to everyone for the input!
When I was first testing the accuracy of my soldering I was just using a plain old desktop monitor, I'm guessing that's why it never picked up the signals from the console. :P

So basically these Dalian screens work fine when it comes to using the 15KHz VGA (which is the sync signals from the CPU?)
I hope I am getting this right but I reckon i'll order that screen right now, thanks Stitches!

Thanks once again and I hope i'm not being annoying when I ask these noobie questions!

Cheers!

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread, I got called to go into work so I haven't been able to respond. Thanks to everyone for the input!
When I was first testing the accuracy of my soldering I was just using a plain old desktop monitor, I'm guessing that's why it never picked up the signals from the console. :P

So basically these Dalian screens work fine when it comes to using the 15KHz VGA (which is the sync signals from the CPU?)
I hope I am getting this right but I reckon i'll order that screen right now, thanks Stitches!

Thanks once again and I hope i'm not being annoying when I ask these noobie questions!

Cheers!
Nah dude, it's not annoying, it's how you learn. Good questions make the world go round! The threads that are annoying are the "can i buy ur potable 4 23 dullars???".