Question Wii/N64 combo console questions

BocuD

Portables
Hey this is perfect! Any idea what I should do with the grounds from either console? Would it be safe to wire them both to the ground from the PSU without a switch between them

Another question: How would I go about wiring up a single power button for both consoles that powers on the correct console depending on the selector switch?
In this case current will only flow through the circuit if there is a voltage potential. So if you only connect GND to the circuit for example and NOT 12v, there will be no voltage potential and thus there will be no current flowing. This is why you can just connect the gnds of each console together and the power supply together. For turning on the right console just putting a switch (sp3t will work, google it) between 12v from the power supply and the "console selector switch" will work just fine. This will make it so that one way on the switch will be off, one way will be "wii mode" and one way will be "n64 mode". On the custom regulator part, if you use them, just wire the 12v pins on the switch image to the inputs of the custom regulators. I hope this explains it well. Good luck with your project!

Luke

Portables
If he were to add another switch, he just needs a spst to turn the power on/off; no need for a sp3t, he's already doing that selection with the other switch.

But what do you think about my idea: You could get an even crazier switch, a 4p3t switch (this would be a rotary switch) and wire it up as follows:
rotary2.jpg

rotary.png

One console would be a slight rotation to the left, the other would be a slight rotation to the right, and middle would be off. One switch needed.

BocuD

Portables
If he were to add another switch, he just needs a spst to turn the power on/off; no need for a sp3t, he's already doing that selection with the other switch.

But what do you think about my idea: You could get an even crazier switch, a 4p3t switch (this would be a rotary switch) and wire it up as follows:
View attachment 5801

View attachment 5800

One console would be a slight rotation to the left, the other would be a slight rotation to the right, and middle would be off. One switch needed.
Hmm yeah ur right, that would be better. Not sure why I said sp3t.

Wow you guys have been invaluable. I'm torn between both ideas really. Waiting on a few things in the mail and then I'll get those consoles open and start attaching wires. Thanks a ton guys.