Question Help Needed Badly

So I really wanted to make an Arcade Pedestal for Super Smash Bros by using Wiimotes to solder arcade buttons to because they dont use analog sticks so it would be sweet and simple. Could use it for other games to that use horizontal control which would have been a plus. So i soldered everything, no bridging (Checked with multimeter a million times), and for some unexplainable reason there is ghosting. Buttons go off and Some wont go off when pressed after a few hours or even minutes of playing. Its seriously like the worst thing i ve encountered and i even switched to other wiimotes(Same thing happened). So if anyone has an explanation it would be great, i used an american arcade joystick with american buttons.

So I really wanted to make an Arcade Pedestal for Super Smash Bros by using Wiimotes to solder arcade buttons to because they dont use analog sticks so it would be sweet and simple. Could use it for other games to that use horizontal control which would have been a plus. So i soldered everything, no bridging (Checked with multimeter a million times), and for some unexplainable reason there is ghosting. Buttons go off and Some wont go off when pressed after a few hours or even minutes of playing. Its seriously like the worst thing i ve encountered and i even switched to other wiimotes(Same thing happened). So if anyone has an explanation it would be great, i used an american arcade joystick with american buttons.

I even tested it with gamecube controllers and the same thing happened, idk maybe its the arcade parts but i checked them with my multimeter too! Maybe its the fact that i use lead free solder hahahaha i have no idea i just really wish i my plan worked cause it was really really nice when there was no ghosting

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Are the buttons digital, like a tact switch? In other words, with your multimeter, two pins should be disconnected when the button is not pressed, and continuous when the button is pressed.

Are the buttons digital, like a tact switch? In other words, with your multimeter, two pins should be disconnected when the button is not pressed, and continuous when the button is pressed.
Microswitches with 3 Pins, Same for Joystick

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
What battery are you using for the wiimote?

I'm inclined to think it's the buttons if they also don't work on a gc controller. That, or wiring. I don't know anything about arcade buttons, but they might not be digital presses. If you replace them all with tact switches and the problem goes away, it's the buttons.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I suggest using a multimeter to continuity check each microswitch to ensure they're all functional internally. It looks like you've wired to the NO and C pins, but were you consistent with the wiring? It's hard to tell from the far off photo and fatass wires, but you should have the positive trace for each button going to NO and ground should go to C.

Could you take some closer photos of the switches and Wiimote board individually?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Check for fraying, those look similar to other arcade wiring I've used that had some wire strands sticking off that would occasionally push buttons

Also, what brand are those microswitches? I've never seen the red and black before