Worklog The DreamPad

[QUOTE = "Nold, post: 25822, member: 1499"]Thanks mate... but you better watch out for your "PTHs".. when they come from china, they will likely be a ripoff! but IDK...
ATM I'm waiting for my new 3D-Printer, as I was fu**ed off by the size of my case again... so I'll do something else :P

As for pinouts, I already created the definitive DC trimming guide, so you might check that out ;-)
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-dc-trimming-guide.1925/

Also there will be more DC action soon! :)[/CITAR]

Dude, can you explain me better about my regulators in china?
they're of bad quality, is that it?
I waited so long for them ... =(

And thank you very much for the guide, I had not seen it yet ... I'm in the middle of a PS2 project, but when I finish it for sure I'll go back to Dreamcast thanks to your guide ... Thank you! Your work is amazing!!!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
He just means that anything from China is risky because there is a good chance it is of poor quality. Are your PTHs branded TI? If so, they’re probably ok and you just bought from a Chinese reseller.

He just means that anything from China is risky because there is a good chance it is of poor quality. Are your PTHs branded TI? If so, they’re probably ok and you just bought from a Chinese reseller.
I understood...

Here are the photos of the regulators I bought:
20180314_075156.jpg

20180314_075250.jpg

Are they of bad quality ?? Will not they work?

I found these PTHs in a server junk, someone knows if they are usable:

20180314_100400.jpg

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
First pic has the Texas Instruments logo on the board. I’d say you’re ok.

I’ve not seen the PTH in that last pic before. I’d recommend looking for a data sheet for it before using it.

First pic has the Texas Instruments logo on the board. I’d say you’re ok.

I’ve not seen the PTH in that last pic before. I’d recommend looking for a data sheet for it before using it.
Great! I was worried, I waited so long for them, and I paid dearly for them ... Thank you friend!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Great! I was worried, I waited so long for them, and I paid dearly for them ... Thank you friend!
Looking at the datasheet you may have a problem with the PTH05050. Looks like it only accepts an input voltage in the range of 4.5-5.5V. This means you cannot use this module with a standard battery setup.

Portables
Man, WHOA!

Firstly, you are RIGHT. it IS the year for Dreamcast Portables.

And secondly, DAMN, I'm about to try that DC board trim, probably tomorrow, I got a few DC's, but I need to get everything together. I'm a HUGE fan of Frankencasing (All of my portables are frankencased) and I refuse to do it any other way. You are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for keeping the DCp Dream ALIVE, bruv.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
i think i'm slowly getting into CAD... starting to love this parametric stuff! It takes much time to "program" but I hope it'll become nice to reuse & share :)

parametric_case.jpg

btw,; waiting for my Prusa is even worse than waiting for a print to finish... <.< hope it finally gets shipped next week..

England Buckingham Palace with a fake tash
Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
my portable console is my shield K1 tablet with a dream cast emulator lol defeats the point i know. its power of knowledge man.

mknrls

I'm still working my DCp guide, it's quite some work, writing everything down.. ^^.. so here is a little pic of my testing setup.Everything (re-)attached, tested & working nicely!

Serial-SD, CompactFlash G1-ATA, Custom Dreamshell BIOS, VGA, RTC-Battery, Controller, Audio via relocated DAC, all onboard voltage regulators replace by PTH080808's.

The power consumption of the DC is roughly about 8~10W (0.6A min to 0.8A max @ 12V).. So that's pretty awesome, too!

View attachment 5039

Hope to find some motivation to continue working on the case, soon..
amazing work! Where did get that heatsink tho, really like how low profile it is

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
amazing work! Where did get that heatsink tho, really like how low profile it is
Yea, i really like them, too! Used them for all my portables basically.
I salvaged them from old Fujitsi Primepower 800 Systemboards back in the Gamecube days, since they have pretty much of the size of the GC Heatsink.

mknrls

I'm still working my DCp guide, it's quite some work, writing everything down.. ^^.. so here is a little pic of my testing setup.Everything (re-)attached, tested & working nicely!

Serial-SD, CompactFlash G1-ATA, Custom Dreamshell BIOS, VGA, RTC-Battery, Controller, Audio via relocated DAC, all onboard voltage regulators replace by PTH080808's.

The power consumption of the DC is roughly about 8~10W (0.6A min to 0.8A max @ 12V).. So that's pretty awesome, too!

View attachment 5039

Hope to find some motivation to continue working on the case, soon..
in the previous pictures, you were using two the regulator did that switch to four afterward?

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
all onboard voltage regulators replace by PTH080808's.
in the previous pictures, you were using two the regulator did that switch to four afterward?
Yea, as said above, i replaced the two onboard regs, too. You'll find more infos in the DC Trimming guide.
Also you can't (/shouldn't) use a PTH080808 for 3.3v without replacing the onboard regs, too. Cause it'll draw to much current otherwise.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I’ve been revisiting this thread because TrueSonic has been sharing his DC woes in the Discord. Saw this from the first post that I must have missed the first time around:
Funfact: The 12V Gamecube power adapter is not capable of driving the whole DC via 12V. It will reboot randomly if something is wrong with the PSU.
So is it probable that my old ebay-found DC has a bad PSU? It occasionally restarts on its own. Usually if I leave it powered off for an extended period. Then once I have it going for a little while it seems more stable. I always assumed it was the disk drive giving out and that it just restarted as a means of crash recovery.

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
So is it probable that my old ebay-found DC has a bad PSU? It occasionally restarts on its own. Usually if I leave it powered off for an extended period. Then once I have it going for a little while it seems more stable. I always assumed it was the disk drive giving out and that it just restarted as a means of crash recovery.
Yea, this is actually a quite common problem with the DC. It's mostly related to a bad connection between the PSU & DC Mainboard.
Check out mmmonkey's site for more infos: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/dreamcast-random-reset-and-common-fixes/

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Long time no update.. but finally used my prusa for what i initially bought it for! :mrgreen:
First proto print of the case, still some work to do but for my first CAD case it came out pretty awesome!

DSCF6840.JPG

I'm also really happy with my new printing setup. Spoolholder works great. The granite slab is a great addition, too! Print quality & speed is simply awesome compared to the little M3D.

Prusa is live - Prusa is love! <3

I've been also working on improving the DC trim, but had a lot of trouble with the board i trimmed.. don't know when i will finish it..

nobble

Finally catching up on all this! What a journey so far. I am really interested in working on a DCp this summer now.

BTW, did you switch the case design from frankencasing to 3d printed because of the board having issues? That handmade one looked sick! :)

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
BTW, did you switch the case design from frankencasing to 3d printed because of the board having issues? That handmade one looked sick! :)
I liked the first frankaced design, too.. but after some time & work on it, i thought: "Damn, this looks too bulky again..".
So I got a prusa ^^ .. the size of the case is now much more satisfying - it's as long as the Switch & only ~5cm taler.

Long time no update.. but finally used my prusa for what i initially bought it for! :mrgreen:
First proto print of the case, still some work to do but for my first CAD case it came out pretty awesome!

View attachment 5957

I'm also really happy with my new printing setup. Spoolholder works great. The granite slab is a great addition, too! Print quality & speed is simply awesome compared to the little M3D.

Prusa is live - Prusa is love! <3

I've been also working on improving the DC trim, but had a lot of trouble with the board i trimmed.. don't know when i will finish it..

Wow! great print! The case looks really cool!
I am eager to see the progress of this project ... I am a fan of SEGA, and Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles ....
Can you answer me because the 4 buttons at the top if the dreamcast only has 2, L and R.
And on the right side has an extra hole that seems to be a second analog?

Congratulations on the project so far!

Nold

Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Can you answer me because the 4 buttons at the top if the dreamcast only has 2, L and R.
And on the right side has an extra hole that seems to be a second analog?
that's because it's a generic & fully parametric portable case design, that I want to share & reuse for following projects. So basically i just didn't remove them for the first test print... ;-)