Introducing, the Gameboy Revolution!

Hey guys! I just wanted to share my latest Portable Wii with you all, the aptly named Gameboy Revolution.

Features:
3.5" Dalian Good Screen
480p Component Video Input converted to VGA
PortabilizeMii No Wifi (Duh)
Full range mini 254TA103B50A-ND Pot Thumbsticks
Single tact Modded L and R triggers
Mono Audio w/ stereo headphone output
Custom 7.4v lithium ion Battery Pack
Custom 3d Printed case (Designed by me and inspired by the DMG Gameboy)
Custom 3d Printed face buttons
Custom Designed Cooling Solution
Custome Designed Motherboard mounting system
128GB USB Thumbdrive

Now, without further adieu, here she is!
IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Now, here are some internal Pics.

This is the bottom half complete with screw posts for the Motherboard and heatsink mounting
IMG_0558.JPG

This is the Top half with the screw posts for the controls and to hold the assembled case together.
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG

Here's the first layer of the back half complete with Battery pack, heat sink, L and R triggers, Z Button, USB, Power switch, DC Charge port, volume, reset and sync buttons.
IMG_0563.JPG

Wii Motherboard prepped and ready for installation.
IMG_0566.JPG

Here's the top half with the Screen, Controls, Speaker, Amplifier and YPBPR to VGA adapter board installed.
IMG_0568.JPG

Here's the bottom half with everything installed and mounted.
IMG_0569.JPG

Finally, here are both halves fully assembled and ready to be closed up.
IMG_0567.JPG

I'll upload some more pictures in the future. I just realized that I never took a picture of it actually turned on hahahaha.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Wow, this is awesome! And not just because it's purple, I espescially like the way you implemented those triggers and the fact that you used those real joysticks.

I'm curious though, you said that you used a 3.5 inch screen that accepts component video. Do you have a link to it? I did a Google search for Dallian 3.5" screen and I couldn't find it, but it sounds like something that would he awesome for future projects.

Looking forward to what you do next!

Noah

retired
Portables
Wow, nice job! I especially like the use of metal screw posts. I've had my share of 3D printed ones fail me in the past.

I'm curious though, you said that you used a 3.5 inch screen that accepts component video. Do you have a link to it? I did a Google search for Dallian 3.5" screen and I couldn't find it, but it sounds like something that would he awesome for future projects.
That screen only accepts VGA. He used a YPBPR to VGA adapter board that's mounted in the front half.

Speaking of that screen @Redmagnusx, what's the resolution on that bad boy?

Wow, this is awesome! And not just because it's purple, I espescially like the way you implemented those triggers and the fact that you used those real joysticks.

Looking forward to what you do next!
Hey Ginger! It's actually a VGA screen, I just realized my error and have corrected it. I used the board from one of those old Wii Component to VGA cables to convert the signal to VGA (The Picture looks great in all honesty). As for the screen itself, I bought it back in 2015, when Dalian Good still sold on Aliexpress. I believe the one linked below is the same screen, but it appears as though you need to specifically ask for VGA compatibility when you order.

Here's the original link
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6626582524.html?orderId=66938558317771&productId=32246712603

Here's the one that I believe is the current model on their page.
http://www.good-display.com/products_detail/productId=271.html

Wow, nice job! I especially like the use of metal screw posts. I've had my share of 3D printed ones fail me in the past.

That screen only accepts VGA. He used a YPBPR to VGA adapter board that's mounted in the front half.

Speaking of that screen @Redmagnusx, what's the resolution on that bad boy?
That's the interesting part. On the product page, it states that the Resolution is 320x240. HOWEVER, the Wii is most definitely set to 480p and the screen definitely displays slightly off-center with a blue border when a 15khz vga signal is fed to it. Considering that and the fact that the image quality is top notch, I am positive that it is a 640x480 screen.

As for the thread inserts, I have to say that I find them to be essential when using 3D printed cases. I highly recommend them to anyone designing and 3d printing his/her own case.

I have tried threading directly into the plastic and I have tried using hexagonal nuts, but each of those has their own issue. Threading into the plastic often results in broken screw posts and using hexagonal nuts results in much bulkier screw posts being necessary.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
That's the interesting part. On the product page, it states that the Resolution is 320x240. HOWEVER, the Wii is most definitely set to 480p and the screen definitely displays slightly off-center with a blue border when a 15khz vga signal is fed to it. Considering that and the fact that the image quality is top notch, I am positive that it is a 640x480 screen.

As for the thread inserts, I have to say that I find them to be essential when using 3D printed cases. I highly recommend them to anyone designing and 3d printing his/her own case.

I have tried threading directly into the plastic and I have tried using hexagonal nuts, but each of those has their own issue. Threading into the plastic often results in broken screw posts and using hexagonal nuts results in much bulkier screw posts being necessary.
If you start a game like SSBM will it display the progressive scan message?

Also for screwposts I've found that using a hole diameter 0.5mm less than the diameter of the screw and making sure the screw post width is ~4x the diameter of the hole prevents the post from breaking when threading it.

This is amazing work, great job!

EDIT: Just read Noah's response

If you start a game like SSBM will it display the progressive scan message?

Also for screwposts I've found that using a hole diameter 0.5mm less than the diameter of the screw and making sure the screw post width is ~4x the diameter of the hole prevents the post from breaking when threading it.

This is amazing work, great job!

EDIT: Just read Noah's response
Yup, I should have mentioned that, but yes it prompts for every Progressive Scan enabled game.

As for the screw posts, I'll stick to using the inserts, but thank you :)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Great job, Redmagnusx! The case is very well planned out! How does this compare to a DMG in terms of size/thickness?

It took me about 3 minutes to figure out where you put the charging jack and I thought it would have been hilarious if you had forgotten that tiny little component.

Great job, Redmagnusx! The case is very well planned out! How does this compare to a DMG in terms of size/thickness?

It took me about 3 minutes to figure out where you put the charging jack and I thought it would have been hilarious if you had forgotten that tiny little component.
I will post a side by side comparison pic when I get home later, but It's about the same size in every area with the exception of thickness. I had to make it thicker in order to accommodate the batteries. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the heat sinks are raised about 7mm increasing the overall thickness by that amount. This is due solely to the fact that the motherboard won't clear the batteries otherwise.