Question Carb board wii portable?

Can it be done?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was thinking,why 3d print a case, when you could use something far cheaper and easier to work with

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Actually this is genius. Screwposts are overrated, I don't need them, as clearly shown by the WaluWiigi

BocuD

Portables
Well its definetly possible, and yeah, cardboard can probably withstand the heat generated by a wii (its 7w lol) as long as you give it enough cooling (not the stock wii heatsink, its overkill for sure)
If you decide to do this however, you WILL regret it. Seriously. Cardboard becomes very weak after using it for a while and for something like a wii portable, which is very hard and takes a lot of time to build, a cardboard case won't do it justice. (if you'd ask me anyways.) You can however build a "prototype" case out of cardboard without glueing anything down and use it as a base to make a better one by frankencasing or 3d printing.

Portables
Damn, I like the idea. I have a cardboard mockup of a case done for test-fitting purposes, and for a lot of reasons, it works really well. Hot glue sticks like a mother, it can be easily trimmed, and it's light. The corrugation is tough to deal with unless you're really obsessive, though. You know what would be sweet and actually more realistic is using thin sheets of hardboard. It'd be heavy, but I'd love to see it done.

Come to think of it, I'll see if I can salvage some and give it a try. This might be interesting.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
people have made desks and stuff outta usps flat rate boxes, so it could work if you actually try and don't like cut off a flap and have that the front or something.

most ikea furniture is cardboard inlay also

BocuD

Portables
^^ yeah that gonna kill it

Luke

Portables
I was thinking,why 3d print a case, when you could use something far cheaper and easier to work with
Cheaper and easier and a whole lot less durable. You don't want to put expensive components and a lot of time and effort into something that won't hold up. I think the examples of this are fairly obvious.

And I'd argue that it's not easier to work with in the first place.
3d printing isn't THAT expensive, depending on the size, and it is way easier to work with - provided that you have planned it and have paid close attention to detail. Screw posts and such, perfectly cut holes, where do I start?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
why 3d print a case
Perfect layout, perfect sizing, durability, easy wire management, looks, friction fitting parts, water resistance, bump proof, no glue, screw posts, cool fan vents, straight edges, easy fitting buttons, control prototyping, switch mounting, airflow direction, easy reproduction of damaged parts, paintable, shareable designs, tweakable before physical assembly. No real reason.

But seriously, if you manage to make a working portable out of fucking cardboard I'd be very impressed.

Portables
9000+
Maybe take something like a small usps box and then cover it with abs goo, kinda like paper machet. Then cut the back out with a dremel and build inside. You could wash the cardboard out with water if you wanted to. The main problem would be getting to get the abs to cure though. You would need to use really thin layers and be willing to work all day, but it might work. I might try this after I go to the post office again.

Then again replace your initial idea with sheet abs and super glue and you are good to go. Thats what I'm doing with my wip and it is like having your own custom project box. Cheaper than printing and more flexible than a premade box, but almost just as good.

Well its definetly possible, and yeah, cardboard can probably withstand the heat generated by a wii (its 7w lol) as long as you give it enough cooling (not the stock wii heatsink, its overkill for sure)
If you decide to do this however, you WILL regret it. Seriously. Cardboard becomes very weak after using it for a while and for something like a wii portable, which is very hard and takes a lot of time to build, a cardboard case won't do it justice. (if you'd ask me anyways.) You can however build a "prototype" case out of cardboard without glueing anything down and use it as a base to make a better one by frankencasing or 3d printing.
I was intending to use it just as a moc/research and development

Because with a 3d printed case it's durable. How are you going to place components in your case? Apply hot glue to cardboard? I'm not even sure cardboard could withstand the heat produced by the Wii.
Why would I use hot glue,it might damage the components

If you will also be using duct tape, I'm all for it.
Of course,I want it to be stable

I'm also going to be placing fans on all sides to defend against over-heating

Cheaper and easier and a whole lot less durable. You don't want to put expensive components and a lot of time and effort into something that won't hold up. I think the examples of this are fairly obvious.

And I'd argue that it's not easier to work with in the first place.
3d printing isn't THAT expensive, depending on the size, and it is way easier to work with - provided that you have planned it and have paid close attention to detail. Screw posts and such, perfectly cut holes, where do I start?
Luke,it's meant to be a point of reference and testing so that when I do get a real case it will fit perfectly

Because with a 3d printed case it's durable. How are you going to place components in your case? Apply hot glue to cardboard? I'm not even sure cardboard could withstand the heat produced by the Wii.
It can Jeff, with excellent fans on all sides

Last edited by a moderator:

Noah

retired
Portables
Lol please don't make a card board case. Just take the time and money to make a good case, or buy one from someone who already has one. You'll be wasting a lot of time by trying to make a portable with a card board case, even if it's for testing purposes.

Portables
9000+
If you want to make a cardboard case for the simple purpose of sizing a real one to be made out of sheet abs, do so. Cardboard is cheaper than sheet abs, and even BenHeck recommends using cardboard to size a case. But, using cardboard as a real case for real components is not recommended, yet you are free to do so if you choose.

Also, hot glue does not usually damage components, unless you try to remove components from hot glue without reheating it. I have disappointing (to say the least) personal experience with that.

BocuD

Portables
Ehmm.... please dont double ehm what even is this? Post 7 times in a row? :P
You might get :chaos: ‘d if you arent carefull..
Edit: shit :chaos: doesnt work here.. oh well

Luke

Portables
Luke,it's meant to be a point of reference and testing so that when I do get a real case it will fit perfectly
You asked "Cardboard Wii Portable? Can it be done?"
We answered that question.
And then after we pointed out all the problems you changed it to, nah guyz, I just meant for testing, but then continued to provide details on how you would make it viable (fans on all sides, duct tape for stabilty, etc), as if it were more than just a mock-up design.

To answer your original question, no, don't make a cardboard wii portable. However if you want to put a model together out of cheaper material to get an idea of size and spacing and how components would fit in, brilliant.