Worklog Booshman's N64 portable

Anyway, vis a vis the headphone jack, you'll be able to wire it up just like a normal jack. Just bridge the two middle contacts or use the one second from the end for your R audio.
View attachment 5290
So it will have stereo via headphones and stereo via 2 (L+R) speakers?

WELP. I didn't think to suggest checking the N64 for shorts...... at least it's working now. Did the new driver board set you back much?
No worries. I didn't even think to check it since I had (or so I thought) seen it working before. The board was the equivalent of $13. so not too expensive. I'd rather not keep breaking stuff though. I've already written off a motherboard and driver board to the tune of about $30.

Portables
It's always nice to have spare boards on hand, at least!

Ah, I think I finally realize what you're asking. If you wanna get FANCY, your headphone jack should have a built-in switch to divert the audio from the built-in speakers to the headphones when you plug the headphones in. That's what I'm assuming you mean by a "5-pin" jack:
f8FYg.png

In that schematic, pins 4 and 5 would be routed to the speakers, and pins 2 and 3 to the audio output of your amp, so when the jack is inserted (pushing the contacts for pins 2 and 3 out of the way) it disconnects the speakers.

Feel free to correct me, anyone, if that's wrong in any way. It's been a while since I wired one of these up, and I think I had a different setup in my portable.

Luke

Portables
^^That's how I wire mine, however, I have been told in the past (https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-wire-a-stereo-headphone-jack.978/) that if you do it in this fashion by routing the same amp output that is designed for speakers, to headphones, you run the risk of blowing out your headphones. I personally haven't had that issue, maybe I never turned the volume all the way up I don't really know, but I do agree with the premise of the argument; it's not the "correct" way. That being said, do it at your own risk.

I think I'll order this 5 pin one. Looks to be the same size as the one I have so I can switch them out without having to mod the case.

The last post in the thread Luke posted says to attach direct from the console to the headphones, and from there to the amp and on to the speakers. Could I do that and save getting a G class amp for the headphones?

Luke

Portables
I think I'll order this 5 pin one.

The last post in the thread Luke posted says to attach direct from the console to the headphones, and from there to the amp and on to the speakers. Could I do that and save getting a G class amp for the headphones?
I don't think that jack will work, someone correct me if I'm wrong... loot at that pinout.

Perhaps @BocuD can provide details... I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing.

Oh bugger, really? Well I'm glad I posted before I ordered.

So if I can find a 5 pin in the size I want with a schematic like JS posted, I'm good to go?

Luke

Portables
that's right.

BocuD

Portables
I don't think that jack will work, someone correct me if I'm wrong... loot at that pinout.

Perhaps @BocuD can provide details... I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing.
@Luke did you mean booshman? I know nothing about audio amps or headphone jacks lol

Some work done to the rear of the case. I modded the top for the power switch that's going on the left, SD card slot in the middle, and AC port on the right. The controls for the screen are in there as well as the LED to show if the screen is on. I need to add something to mount the volume pot on and seal my paint with a few cclear coats.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
So smooth! That is some solid frankencasing, my friend.

Portables
That is MEGA slick. You're convincing me that a Wii U shell is in my future...

Anyway, I realized there were a few loose ends from earlier in the project that no one seemed to address. Pardon me if you've worked the details out already. For your board trim, everything looks about right as long as you sanded the edges and were conservative with your cuts initially. To wire for 4p, just transpose this pinout to the other controller jacks (from Bud's trimming guide). Really all you need to worry about is proper placement of the data lines, as there are plenty of 3.3v traces to wire to:

R8ZAI.jpg

Also, if space is tight and you're using an Everdrive, just wire it directly to the motherboard! Easy peasy, and it'll look TIGHT! Plus, extra airflow without the space taken up by the cart connector.

That is MEGA slick. You're convincing me that a Wii U shell is in my future...

Anyway, I realized there were a few loose ends from earlier in the project that no one seemed to address. Pardon me if you've worked the details out already. For your board trim, everything looks about right as long as you sanded the edges and were conservative with your cuts initially. To wire for 4p, just transpose this pinout to the other controller jacks (from Bud's trimming guide). Really all you need to worry about is proper placement of the data lines, as there are plenty of 3.3v traces to wire to:

Also, if space is tight and you're using an Everdrive, just wire it directly to the motherboard! Easy peasy, and it'll look TIGHT! Plus, extra airflow without the space taken up by the cart connector.
Thanks for the feedback and input. If there are any unanswered points from earlier in the thread please feel free to chime in.

I decided recently that I'm going to have to wire the everdrive in, just because of space. I initially wanted to have it easily removable and there is also zero chance of me breaking it if it just slots in. I'll have to just be very careful and hope it goes well.

Not much to report, but i got the Wii-U controller dock, which I plan to incorporate into the build. Here is a quick mock-up of what I'm thinking.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
As a thought for making your life easier, and a question to everyone: Do the N64 controllers have a shared VDD and GND? If that's the case you'll only need 5 pins to connect all three controllers, plus a few others for charging your unit.

I think the answer to your question is yes. To add to your query though, will there be any issues with controller 1 being the same for the portable and the dock? I want the portable to fuction as a full console when docked, where 4 controllers can be used. I presume that the only issue would come from messing about with the controls on the portable at the same time as trying to play with a pad. Having said that I don't want to presume too much, I've learned that guessing isn't the best thing to do with electronics.