Worklog The Lombardii - First (and a half) portable

Portables
Crossing my fingers to hoping this name isn't taken.

So while this is technically going to be my second Wii Portable, I've never posted my worklog here, and my first portable is honestly not the greatest thing in the world. Also, it died a day after completion, and I haven't figured out what's wrong with it yet. My functioning portable count remains at: 0.

Since there's about a million and one things that could be wrong with my first one, I decided to rebuild my portable from the ground up, combining my school's 3D printers with my dangerously unhealthy obsession with CAD. This way I'll be able to plan and account for every single component in my portable and design accordingly.

My biggest challenge in building this will be my lack of tools I regularly use. Since I'm away for school, I don't have access to a lot of stuff I normally would have. That means my large collection of drill bits, files, sandpaper, glue gun, epoxy, acetone, pliers, wire strippers, soldering station third hands, pcb clamps, etc., are all gone. While I do gain the usage of nice 3D printers, I lose pretty much everything else. The only tools I bought for this project were a Dremel 7700 and a TS100 soldering iron. Everything else will have to be hacked together with what few tools I managed to bring on the drive down. I feel like Tom Hanks in Cast Away, except I get a 3D printer.

Features:
5" 800x480 screen
2s2p 18650s with total 10000mAh
3ds analog sliders and ABXY/Dpad
Dual tact LR buttons
Volume control through buttons
4-port GC out
Original AV out
1 port play and charge with red CMB

Dimensions so far: 7.75" x 4" x 1.35"
EDIT: Had to tweak the dimensions because the printer is too small. Now 7.5" x 4.25" x 1.35".

Progress so far

Ordering most of my parts from eBay keeps the cost low. Unfortunately that also means that shipping times go through the roof. Luckily for me, midterms and school in general will keep me busy in between waiting for parts to arrive. Not ideal, but oh well.

I now have most of the parts I will be using, except for some DPDT switches, the ABXY/Dpad boards, the audio chip, and my squishy tacts. In the meantime, I've CADded the rest of what I have.

More images will be available through this link.

Assem2.JPG

assem5.JPG

As an homage to my Melee main, Falco, I decided to design an embossed "shine" to surround the fan grate. This also spawned the name of my portable, The Lombardii. Get it? Get it??
Part5.JPG

So far, the only physical construction progress I have is trimming the board, running PM, and relocating the U10. Once my resistors arrive, I'll start wiring up the TI's. Hopefully none of my lines have shorted.
IMG_20180209_193148578_HDR.jpg

As far as Solidworks goes, the only components left for me to design are the mounts for the various PCBs and the switches that stick out of the top of the case. Once my PCB and switches arrive, I'll finalize my design and bring it in to be printed. For now, I'll pass the time by studying for my upcoming midterms. Yay engineering.

Attachments

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Nice! It looks great, you've obviously put a lot of work in so far. I can't wait to see where it goes from here :)

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Wow, this looking great! Modeling the parts that go into your portable was a really good idea.

Hopefully none of my lines have shorted.
Dp you have a multimeter you could use to check? It's generally best to check as many things that could possibly go wrong before powering a trim to reduce the chances of something going wring when powering it.

Also, I'd grab some Isopropyl alcohol and dump it all over your trim. There's a lot of dust on your motherboard, and that dust can cause shorts. If some dust isn't coming off very well, then scrub at it gently with a toothbrush.

This project looks awesome! I love the theme and I'm looking forward to seeing more great progress.

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Also, I'd graphics some Isopropyl alcohol and dump it all over your trim. There's a lot of dust on your motherboard, and that dust can cause shorts. If some dust isn't coming off very well, then scrub at it gently with a toothbrush.
I thought so too, but it's opaque tape :P

The case work looks great so far! Adding custom PCBs is a good idea too it makes it a lot easier to disassemble your portable if anything goes wrong. Also your trim looks good but I would remove the 5v capacitor at the top right too before powering it.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Looks familiar ;)

I love all the work you've put into this! I can tell the finished product will look very professional. Excellent work!

EDIT: you will probably want to add feet to the case or the fan vent will be blocked when you set it down on a table.

Last edited:
Portables
Nice! It looks great, you've obviously put a lot of work in so far. I can't wait to see where it goes from here :)
Thanks! Hopefully it turns out well, in spite of my lack of equipment.

Wow, this looking great! Modeling the parts that go into your portable was a really good idea.

Dp you have a multimeter you could use to check? It's generally best to check as many things that could possibly go wrong before powering a trim to reduce the chances of something going wring when powering it.

Also, I'd grab some Isopropyl alcohol and dump it all over your trim. There's a lot of dust on your motherboard, and that dust can cause shorts. If some dust isn't coming off very well, then scrub at it gently with a toothbrush.

This project looks awesome! I love the theme and I'm looking forward to seeing more great progress.
I do have a multimeter and so far nothing looks shorted. I'll keep the dust in mind!

The case work looks great so far! Adding custom PCBs is a good idea too it makes it a lot easier to disassemble your portable if anything goes wrong. Also your trim looks good but I would remove the 5v capacitor at the top right too before powering it.
Thanks! And I'll remove the cap.

Looks familiar ;)

I love all the work you've put into this! I can tell the finished product will look very professional. Excellent work!

EDIT: you will probably want to add feet to the case or the fan vent will be blocked when you set it down on a table.
Haha you can definitely see where I got a lot of inspiration from. Hopefully this turns out how I want it to! And adding feet to the bottom is a good idea, I'll probably go look for some once I finish printing my case.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
And adding feet to the bottom is a good idea, I'll probably go look for some once I finish printing my case.
Home depot should have a selection of rubber feet with sticky bottoms (search for "rubber bumper" you'll get plenty of results) so you can just make a little lip for the feet and stick em right in.

Portables
Midterms are over, thank goodness. I've printed a few of my parts, which include the shoulder buttons, the z button, the dual tact button brackets, the front panel buttons, and the cross bars to support the analog sticks.

IMG_0026.JPG

While the shoulder and Z buttons should all work fine, I didn't account for the size of the pins on the tact buttons, so the dual tact brackets are a little small. Also, I now realize that I made the cross bars are way too small. While peeling them off the support raft, the material around the holes snapped right off.

IMG_0028.JPG

This first draft of printing made me realize I should probably test out the dimensions I designed for the ABXY/Dpad/analog stick mounts before printing the whole 6-hour shell and realizing something's off. I went ahead and designed smaller test squares so that I could test my dimensions before wasting a ton of filament.
abxy test holder.JPG analog stick test.JPG dpad test holder.JPG

Right now the printers are all busy so I'm hoping to go back by tonight to print out some more parts. In the meantime, I'll be redoing the dimensions of the brackets and cross bars.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Ayyy lol those brackets look familiar :P Nice work so far :)

Portables
Good to see progress, I just remembered some other issue with my case. Because the shoulder buttons force the screw posts at the top to be moved more to the side, the case doesn't close fully in the top middle. You may want to account for that if you can.
Hmm I'll see what I can do about that. Do you think that could've been caused by the part warping?

Ayyy lol those brackets look familiar :P Nice work so far :)
Thanks! And yes, these brackets are pretty much based off of your design, just with different dimensions to fit my tact buttons.

I love your casework so far, and where this is going.
Thanks! As of this moment the bottom shell is being printed in shiny white ABS. Hoping to pick it up in a few hours.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Hmm I'll see what I can do about that. Do you think that could've been caused by the part warping?
Nah, when you screw in the bottom piece it pulls the sides of the case down so because those screwposts are too far to the side the center didn't pull down. It layed flat before screwing it in. I would probably add screwposts on the other sides of the shoulder buttons.

Portables
The first draft of the bottom shell is complete! That means it's time for pretty pictures.

IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

My next step is to see if I can get these mounting holes to work. They printed a lot smaller than I had planned for, so I'll have to go in with a drill and gently expand the holes. Hopefully it doesn't cause the layers to split or crack. If anyone has advice on printing mounting holes or anything else, I'm all ears. After I get that done, I'll smooth out the rough edges to fit my components.

I still haven't wired up anything yet, but that's because I wanted my case first so that I can actually use the wire lengths and orientations the final build will have. Like I mentioned before, I don't have my endless spools of wire that I used to have, so I want to waste as little as possible. It's a good lesson for me in efficient design, I guess.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The first draft of the bottom shell is complete! That means it's time for pretty pictures.

View attachment 5247 View attachment 5248 View attachment 5249

My next step is to see if I can get these mounting holes to work. They printed a lot smaller than I had planned for, so I'll have to go in with a drill and gently expand the holes. Hopefully it doesn't cause the layers to split or crack. If anyone has advice on printing mounting holes or anything else, I'm all ears. After I get that done, I'll smooth out the rough edges to fit my components.

I still haven't wired up anything yet, but that's because I wanted my case first so that I can actually use the wire lengths and orientations the final build will have. Like I mentioned before, I don't have my endless spools of wire that I used to have, so I want to waste as little as possible. It's a good lesson for me in efficient design, I guess.
Looks good, but the printer that made that needs some tweaking.

Portables
Looks good, but the printer that made that needs some tweaking.
Yeah, looks like the nozzle is too far away and there is some Y movement. Looks like a great design though!
Yeah, the printer I'm using isn't the greatest. Unfortunately most of the printers at my school's printing club have leveling issues that I neither have the knowledge nor authority to fix. Bondo will be my friend.

Portables
Finally an update. I haven't died, but from the amount of school work I've been bombarded with it sure feels like it. Got around to printing more test squares for the buttons and analog sliders. Thanks to @Madmorda for the 3ds abxy and dpad models! They work perfectly. The dimensions I had been using previously were just slightly off enough every single time, so I eventually just gave up reinventing the wheel and decided to epoxy these squares into hollow spots in the shell top.

Without being a complete copycat, I managed to get the dimensions right for the analog slider squares and the dual tact brackets specific to the buttons I'm using. Everything clicks nicely in place.

IMG_20180529_165230.jpg

I'm going to print out the first revision of the shell top tomorrow. Fingers crossed to a good first run!

Portables
Small update but an exciting one. First run of the top shell came back and it looks great!

As you can see I didn't finish removing the raft but that's because halfway through using one of those print removal tools to pry off the surprisingly resilient plastic, the blade slipped and I sliced my hand open. Rookie mistake, I know. I'm going to wait for the bleeding to stop before I get back to scraping off the rest of the raft.

IMG_20180531_133323.jpg

IMG_20180531_133346.jpg