Question Should I use the Gamecube disc drive or Wiikey... or?

Hi! I'm new to portablizing and BitBuilt! I haven't done anything yet but only been studying things and how I would do it. One problem I keep running into is how will I load games onto the Gamecube. One option would be the normal Gamecube disc drive but it's kind of bulky but the easiest one to install. Another option is the Wiikey, it sounds nice using SD cards instead of discs allowing me to load many ISO files but I can't find anywhere to buy them from. All websites are either out of stock or not trustworthy to buy from (Should I just wait maybe?). Another idea I could do Is using the sliding Wii disc drive since it is compatable and just make a Gamecube laptop, but I can't find any posts that actually did it. Videos of people that have done used a Wode and Wii Key fusion so I'm wondering If I have to use a mod chip to use the Wii disc drive because then It just knocks that idea down if I can't get the WiiKey.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, sadly, you aren't likely to find any Wiikeys or WASPS in the wild for a reasonable price anymore. If you want to make a portable that plays GC games, your best bet is a Wii.

It’s also a pain to have to wire at least 25 wires for a wasp or a disk drive not to mention the fact that you have to wire to an FFC for the wasp. With the Wii you only have to wire 4 wires for usb and it’s a lot easier.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
While I agree that you probably should go the route of a Wii, I'll actually answer your question :P

Don't bother waiting for a wiikey or similar disc drive replacement chip, they won't be coming any time soon. You can wire a Wii disc drive to a gamecube using the same wiring diagram as a wiikey (since the wiikey has the same pinout as the wii dd). This page has a decent explanation as to how to do so.

While I agree that you probably should go the route of a Wii, I'll actually answer your question :P

Don't bother waiting for a wiikey or similar disc drive replacement chip, they won't be coming any time soon. You can wire a Wii disc drive to a gamecube using the same wiring diagram as a wiikey (since the wiikey has the same pinout as the wii dd). This page has a decent explanation as to how to do so.
Thanks cheese, but I'm probably just going to listen to everyone else and use a Wii instead of a GameCube. I'm also realizing that there is a lot of stuff I am confused about and don't understand, but I guess that's the reason I joined bitbuilt.

Don't hesitate to ask if there is anything you don't understand!
  • I've been thinking of doing the omgwtf cut, but as it being my first portable I don't know if I should or not.
  • I plan on using https://m.ebay.com/itm/PTH08080WAH-...put-Out-Adj-Mini-Pwr/322563128439?_mwBanner=1 for the regulators. The forum for the basics of regulators recommended using 4x PTH08080 regulators
  • Battery I haven't chosen yet I'm looking for a 7.4v battery (I'm not sure if a higher mAh or a lower mAh is better). Also if I could buy any overcharge protection circuit or one already with the battery, if you have an recommendations that would be nice.
  • For the screen im just going to use a 5inch screen that uses HDMI and get an adapter for the Wii and leave it inside the the portable.
  • For everything else I haven't thought about yet.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I've been thinking of doing the omgwtf cut, but as it being my first portable I don't know if I should or not.
If you can follow instructions carefully and have an OK soldering iron, I think anyone can do an OMGWTF. Pretty much every time someone fails a trim is because they are using a $10 iron, or they just aren't following the guide like they should.

I plan on using https://m.ebay.com/itm/PTH08080WAH-...put-Out-Adj-Mini-Pwr/322563128439?_mwBanner=1 for the regulators. The forum for the basics of regulators recommended using 4x PTH08080 regulators
Those regs are the right kind. These are a bether deal though if you want to save a few bucks. The link you gave actually only comes with one PTH, it's pretty misleading.

Battery I haven't chosen yet I'm looking for a 7.4v battery (I'm not sure if a higher mAh or a lower mAh is better). Also if I could buy any overcharge protection circuit or one already with the battery, if you have an recommendations that would be nice.
You can buy premade battery packs like portable phone chargers, which already have protection circuitry and stuff built in, or you can design your own circuit. Just be wary of both packs and cells that lie about their capacity. We've got a thread with information about all things batteries, so be sure to check it out.

For the screen im just going to use a 5inch screen that uses HDMI and get an adapter for the Wii and leave it inside the the portable.
HDMI inside a WiiP can work and does produce nice video, provided you don't get a cheapo one. I believe the Sewell brand is one of the nicer ones, but someone would have to back me on that. We don't generally reccomend using HDMI inside of Wii portable, because it requires hard wiring in that bulky and power-hungry convertor. Luckily though, there areally a couple of options opening up for 5 inch screens with higher quality video coming soon. Paging @Stitches to remind him to finish up that thread :P

Essentially, I'd wait a little while before making any sort of purchase on a screen.

Good luck with this! Don't worry about having lots of questions, everyone has them.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've been thinking of doing the omgwtf cut, but as it being my first portable I don't know if I should or not.
Depends on if you're comfortable with cutting the board (and potentially having to buy another if you mess it up). It can be useful because you essentially cut the board in half.
I plan on using -link- for the regulators. The forum for the basics of regulators recommended using 4x PTH08080 regulators
If you plan on using regulators you will need to either trim the board or remove the onboard regulators.
Battery I haven't chosen yet I'm looking for a 7.4v battery (I'm not sure if a higher mAh or a lower mAh is better). Also if I could buy any overcharge protection circuit or one already with the battery, if you have an recommendations that would be nice.
@GingerOfOz def covered this and the rest spot on, u sniper

Those regs are the right kind. These are a bether deal though if you want to save a few bucks. The link you gave actually only comes with one PTH, it's pretty misleading.
I could try buying a PowerMii lite, if I am buying it I would buy it from the bitbuilt store so I can buy it with a gc+ but it seems like the store is under maintenance. Is that going to be for a while?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Noah is a busy man and I do not believe there is a current ETA for the store’s return, although I hope it is soon. I’ve heard whispers of some other site upgrades in the hopper as well, so maybe Noah et al are planning some big reveal. I honestly don’t have the inside track, so I’m probably just talking out of my ass.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the PowerMii Lite as well. It’ll be in our hands soon enough.

Jonas

I've installed a Xeno GC chip on my gamecube then i bought some mini dvd's from china.
If you wish to use an sd card for games then you will need an SD Gecko and burn a software on a DVD.

Otherwise if you prefer softmodding then i'll use the SD Media Launcher.