Jeff's First Portable - :NOGC: Edition

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I've been putting off posting this thread because I wanted to make sure there were no issues before I say it's done. After a lot of closing the case and reopening it, all the issues are ironed out. It's done.

Worklog

Features
  • OMGWTF trimmed Wii motherboard
  • Custom 3D printed case
  • 7.4v 6800mAh (2S2P) 18650 battery configuration
  • Single port charge and play with red/green charging LED, works with standard 12v DC adapter
  • 5" 4:3 composite display
  • Stereo speakers with volume adjustment buttons
  • Original GameCube controller buttons and 3DS sliders
  • Dual tact shoulder buttons
  • All four controller ports, with a switch for internal/external p1 controls
  • Original AV out port to play on an external TV
  • IR LEDs for Wiimotes
  • Bluetooth sync and reset buttons
  • Games loadable via USB
Images

20180107_123154.jpg 20180107_123246.jpg20180121_185846.jpg 20180121_185854.jpg20180121_185904.jpg 20180107_125211.jpg 20180107_111313.jpg

Video Demo

Background

I started working on my portable in February of 2017, and it took me 11 months to finish. I wanted something I could bring to friends' houses to play smash, so having 4 controller ports and AV out (because CRT or GTFO) is essential. My portable transformed significantly over the course of those 11 months. In some ways, I'm glad my GC died on me, it allowed me to rethink my plan. I learned a lot of useful skills such as 3D modelling and better soldering skills, which led me to a better end product. Here's what my portable would have looked like if the GC hadn't died.

20170610_165424.jpg

Thanks

I have a lot of people to thank with which this project would have been impossible without. @Aurelio , @Gman , @Madmorda constantly helped me with ideas, supplies, and troubleshooting. But my biggest thanks has to go to @Shank . He helped me throughout this entire process since the very beginning and there's no way I would have been able to finish this without him. He put a lot of time and effort in for me to make sure I was able to complete this project. He originally laser cut the case I was going to use for the GC, printed my case that I used for the final product, sent me a ton of little parts that I needed, and spent many hours chatting over discord voice with me during the long portablizing night hours.

This process has been a lot of fun and I've already begun planning for my next portable. Keep an eye out!

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This turned out so good! Congrats on finishing it. Reminds me a bit of Bakuku's old GC Breadbox series, but smoother and with a superior console inside ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

BocuD

Portables
Ayy are you using my intro thp's for PortablizeMii? If you want I can upload a 4:3 version.
Portable looks amazing. Awesome that you finally finished it.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Real proud of Jeff for finishing this portable. For those uninitiated, everything that could have gone wrong on his portable has gone wrong. His GameCube burst into smoke when it was basically done. They banned laser cutting ABS at my lab right when he finalized his design for being cut, forcing him to redesign it from the ground up. So many obstacles have popped up to keep him from finishing his portable, and he perservered and finished anyway. He didn't take shortcuts, and didn't cheap out on parts, and the results show. This is a phenomenal portable. Looking forward to your next one!

I love everything about this portable. The color is great the internals are hot and the design is awesome. The four gamecube ports on this portable makes me miss the old days of portablizing. Great Job Jeff!

nobble

Great job on the overall solid look and clean build Jeff! I am glad that you were able to complete it in under a year, even with all the issues that halted the process! It gives me more inspiration to push myself and finish my portable. Thanks for sharing!

BocuD

Portables
Ayy good job on reddit. Looks like you got to number 8 on r/all.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
So you've finished your first portable, have you? It's finally done, it's over... but you feel something.

Everything's changed.

Ideas stem from the mind, the gods hurl thunderbolts, motherboards die.

That's how it starts, Jeff.

The fever, the rage, the feeling of furtherance that turns good men... into portablizers.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Site-breaker is the new standard by which all portables will be judged. Congrats on the accomplishment and the recognition you’ve earned!

Portables
sin(π)
Duude this portable is so clean! Everything from the externals to the nudes are outstanding. Hearing about your turmoil and all the hurdles you went through really makes this quite the accomplishment. You deserve this amazing work!