Worklog GarageFactory's New Wii Portable

A while ago I had been working on a Wii portable in Inventor then I decided to scrap the whole thing and start over. I started working on a case in Fusion360 and I'm pretty close to finishing the design. This design is pretty similar to the previous one I made in inventor. I have all the parts I just need the motivation to finish it.
Features
  • WiiHUD Amp
  • 3.5 inch screen
  • Gamecube Buttons
  • Mophie PowerBank battery which i'm considering making external
  • Built in IR Leds
Here's some renders of the case
Cube_Front_2018-Jan-14_02-01-58AM-000_CustomizedView7550040348.png

Cube_Front_2018-Jan-14_02-01-15AM-000_CustomizedView7023366621.png

The back of the case isn't finished but the front is nearly done. It's a going to be a pretty standard portable and I hope to update this work log a lot in the next few weeks!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
CAD looks good so far. I would recommend making the outer diameter of the screw posts beefier. I generally shoot for inner 1.5mm, outer 5mm atleast.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
CAD looks good so far. I would recommend making the outer diameter of the screw posts beefier. I generally shoot for inner 1.5mm, outer 5mm atleast.
On top of that you should add a fillet on the bottom of the screwposts. You should also make a better support for the 3DS sliders. With your design the sliders are going to wiggle

That design looks good, how'd you render it out, does Fusion have that fancy of a renderer?
Yeah there's one built in with a lot of options if you click the model button which is in the toolbar it gives you a few options for your design and one of them is rendering. You can edit the material of the model, change the scene, edit the lighting and a lot more.

I did a test print of the front to see how well my printer could handle the design and I noticed some of my screw posts cracked when I tapped them so I will definitely need to make improvements.

On top of that you should add a fillet on the bottom of the screwposts. You should also make a better support for the 3DS sliders. With your design the sliders are going to wiggle
I cannot figure out how to accurately mount the sliders for some reason. I've tried multiple designs and in this design the slider screw posts were slightly off. I'm going to add more walls for support and try fixing the screw posts.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yeah there's one built in with a lot of options if you click the model button which is in the toolbar it gives you a few options for your design and one of them is rendering. You can edit the material of the model, change the scene, edit the lighting and a lot more.

I did a test print of the front to see how well my printer could handle the design and I noticed some of my screw posts cracked when I tapped them so I will definitely need to make improvements.

I cannot figure out how to accurately mount the sliders for some reason. I've tried multiple designs and in this design the slider screw posts were slightly off. I'm going to add more walls for support and try fixing the screw posts.
Designing a proper support for the 3DS sliders takes a bit of trial and error

I made some progress.... But more progress will be slow since school started up again unfortunately. I'm trying to get access to my school's makerspace because their 3D printers are a lot better than mine.

Heres the back of the case the design is pretty simple enough room for 4 18650s, fan and heatsink with an exhaust at the bottom. The screw posts for the usb port, charge port and play port needs some improvement so I will have to fix that.
Final_Vack_2018-Jan-23_10-06-28PM-000_CustomizedView13136964028.png

Another view of the top
Final_Vack_2018-Jan-23_10-06-58PM-000_CustomizedView23685027313.png

Made some improvements to the front and I finally designed a method to mount the 3ds sliders. I increased the thickness of the screw posts too. Also for some reason this render keeps coming out like this and I can't figure out how to fix it. The color kinda looks like piss..

Cube_Front_2018-Jan-23_10-54-41PM-000_CustomizedView10777652060.png

I also trimmed my wiiner and made sure to keep all the screw posts
IMG_0312.jpg

I also slimmed the gamecube buttons down and 3D printed a new mount for them

IMG_0327.jpg