Worklog ghosts - a portable 4 years later

watsug

I started this portable in August 2013, for another community competition Hailrazer organized. It stared in a Wii U hardcase, but later moved into the router case it has today. Most image links in the original thread have been broken, but the photobucket album is here; http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/WatsuG/library/N64p3

Original thread: http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/watsugs-third-n64p.12222/

The last update was in February 2016, when I installed new batteries. Then I also made a cartslot cover, but that hasn't been posted..... until now! Risen from the box under my bed, I present;

IMG_20171013_233715.jpg
IMG_20171013_233540.jpg

Now the question might be; this looks plenty finished, just slap that cover on and call it a day! The reason I haven't is the awful screen and audio.

The audio crackles when the volume pot is turned, and the speaker peaks badly. The speaker volume is too loud and headphone volume too low.
The screen has bad viewing angles, especially from the bottom, so when you hold it naturally it just look bad and I get sad.

The plan is to replace the screen and audio circuitry. Tidy up the internals and maybe replace the cover on the top.

JoJo

Dude nice! Gotta love the sexy purple and the masking tape to keep its guts from falling out. Also, what was that plastic cover from?

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
The screen has bad viewing angles, especially from the bottom, so when you hold it naturally it just look bad and I get sad.
Happens with a lot of backup monitors I’m afraid. What’s the new plan - dalian good screen?

watsug

The cover is from a food box. It's not completely flush around the cartridge, but it prevents insertion in the wrong way. Here's a pic I found of what they usually look like; http://tappakilon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/img_4274.jpg

fibbef; I have a few backup screens , will see if any of them are better. Another idea was to rotate the screen, so it isn't as apparent, but I'm not sure the monitor software support it.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
unrelated to worklog mail me your wii with nothing on it for display at MGC thank

watsug

i love watsug
y-you too

SS, Shank already got them.

I chose a bad time to restart this, in the middle of exam week. Good thing is the audio is fixed. Don't know exactly what was causing the problems with the old amps. But shielded wire and one of the PAM8403 amps with the big potentiometer give decent enough audio. Downside is that I then cant use a headphone jack. Maybe I'll throw in a second speaker and position it in the headphone jack hole.

Screen is still awful. Will replace with shielded cable atleast.

Shank

Staff member
Portables

watsug

Oi Doom, thanks for making me do this, and I'm going to call it finished now.

Ended up with mono speaker only, and a new 800x480p screen. The battery on the back made the slot cover tight, and when I pressed it, a cartslot wire came undone. The cover is just hot glued on, and you can see the holes in the case where the router had feet.
IMG_20171031_225247.jpgIMG_20171031_224851.jpg
Internals. Lots of unused space and wires due to bad planning. Everything is mounted with hot glue.
IMG_20171031_180710.jpg

Last edited: