Video Converter PS2 to HDMI review

Link
So i bought one of these ps2 to hdmi converters hoping to pull the board and use it in a build with some video quality. At first i was frustrated with no signal on HDMI till i read a comment that you have to put the Ps2 in YPBPR video output.

i would give it 7/10
  • No signal if in RGB video. So if your console settings are changed at any point; no output. Booting into FMC was annoying till i changed settings even after original OS boot and settings change.
  • Video quality was improved, but not what was expected. I have no comparison except RGB on 65" DLP to HDMI 23" LCD. Image was sharper.
Has anyone else tried these? I'm hoping to compile as much trial and error on this site to help future builders from being discouraged or overwhelmed as I am.

Yea I tried those, and I was also rather disappointed by the results, thus I resolved to build an HDMI board that converts directly from uncompressed video. Still haven't tested it yet, but the concept is sound, Gman did the same thing, only he chose to convert the raw video to VGA (looks gorgeous)

I dont know how to start with making my own board for video. I've only got as far as voltage regulator circuits for other unrelated projects. I want the best quality on a 7" screen with as small as a foot print possible.

Portables
I'm looking into an FPGA solution for just this reason, lots of code exists and FPGAs are mostly fast enough to convert digital RGB into HDMI or at worst, scan double for VGA.