Question Good ideas to use wii optical drive

Is there any usefull coll thing that i can make with it if i dont want it to use in my wii? Like make realy cool pc cd rom?

It is never a good idea to use a wii optical drive for anything else. The wii optical drive is meant to read wii disks. If you want a disk reader, just buy one. You should just throw the disk drive away.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Is there any usefull coll thing that i can make with it if i dont want it to use in my wii? Like make realy cool pc cd rom?
Stick them in a box and watch the collection grow. Do nothing with them. Occasionally say "Wow, I have a lot of these. I should probably throw them out." And then don't.

Works every time.
(And @MasterNate is right, some people have used Wii DDs in GCps, but disc drives in consoles generally have things built into them to prevent piracy and other non-intended things.)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
"for science"

-some retard

So best is to sell it on ebay but i thinking bcz iam realy interested to use it as cd rom what if i replace the laser and the motor and the motherboard with some old cd rom connect the correct eject and disc detect function and teoreticaly it works?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
what if i replace the laser and the motor and the motherboard
So... All you use is the plastic bit from the Wii one to hold the new parts? And you'd frankencase that part to accommodate the new sized stuff?

Stop.

So best is to sell it on ebay but i thinking bcz iam realy interested to use it as cd rom what if i replace the laser and the motor and the motherboard with some old cd rom connect the correct eject and disc detect function and teoreticaly it works?
y tho?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I just keep an eye on subreddits and forums and whenever I see people saying their wii disc drive broke I offer to send them one of mine for free as long as they pay for shipping. I have a shit ton of them, and have no use for them so might as well help some people.

I just keep an eye on subreddits and forums and whenever I see people saying their wii disc drive broke I offer to send them one of mine for free as long as they pay for shipping. I have a shit ton of them, and have no use for them so might as well help some people.
This is probably your best bet.
Also, I doubt that you can salvage a decent diode from a drive that's read only so no laserino's for you buddy :(

How much you want (if i screw my when changing the driver board of the drive) for 2 pcs inlude schipping to Czech Republic(Before 1997 Czechoslovakia)

Shank

Staff member
Portables