Discussion GC+ Mini contest

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Here is my submission. It's half on a whiteboard and half on a cad design. Feel free to use mine as a poster boy of what not to do. :D

design.PNG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG

BocuD

Portables
I made some images of my idea:

The basic idea is that it is a nintendo switch clone with a wii inside of it.
It has a 7 inch 480p 16:9 screen (no touch, :() and basically 2 joy con based wiimotes.
They are a bit bigger than a joy con, but together they can be a gamecube controller, Wiimote + nunchuck or 2 separate Wiimotes for multiplayer.
The basic idea of the controller is that there is a full Wiimote board inside, with a connector on the side of the controller, so that every button can be hooked up to a GC+ on the inside.
This is the controller design from the side:

And the "possible 3d printable" inside:

There can be a 3.7V lithium polymer battery inside which the wiimote can be powered from. A 3v regulator should do it. As you can see (trough the glitched transparency) every button data line goes to the internal wiimote, as wel as to the connector on the side, for connection with the GC+. It should be possible to hook the analog sticks up to the d-pad of the wii in some way, though i havent really thought about it that much. The actual d-pad can be reused as ab 12 buttons while in wiimote mode, like on the real switch. There can be shoulder buttons on the side, but i'll think about it only if i am actually going to build this. 5V should be able to charge the battery and there can be a spring based switch on the sides that turns the wiimote of when connected to the console. Also there is a nunchuck board inside which basically converts the joystick to be usable as nunchuck when docked, so that the second controller's joystick can be used as a nunchuck.

Here the wiimote's are supposed to be disconnected
In wireless mode they are just wiimotes with joysticks attached to them and a lip battery.
in normal mode the buttons and joysticks are hooked up to the gc+ for a gamecube controller. Here both wiimotes are turned off and only their buttons are used.
In wiimote and nunchuck mode 1 wiimote is turned off, and the other one is on and connected to the nunchuck board of the first wiimote. The first wiimotes nunchuck is then connected to the second one. Triggers will work as they should on a nunchuck.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Here's my submission. Been playing around with this idea for a while. It's a Pi 3 inside a PS Vita. The Vita needs basically no case mods.
pspita.png

...clever, eh? Turns out the Vita has these modular controller board inside, so you get some gba sp-esque clicky tacts pre-mounted on the boards. Also, you can control most TFT LCDs directly via the Pi's GPIO through the RGB display parallel interface. No driver boards necessary. The controller is a $10 generic dualshock style usb controller from the wonderful land of china. Vita buttons and sticks wired directly to controller board.

7.4V 6000mah Lipo cells, 5v ti buck reg, hdmi out, 2w stereo speakers, headphone jack, basically the works.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Also, you can control most TFT LCDs directly via the Pi's GPIO through the RGB display parallel interface. No driver boards necessary.
This is news to me. I did some Googling on the subject and turned up this Hackaday page (for the curious), which I assume is exactly what you're talking about. Sounds like some extremely intense wiring, unless you have a breakout board to connect the screen's ribbon cable. At the very least, thanks for the knowledge, @YveltalGriffin!

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Here's my submission. Been playing around with this idea for a while. It's a Pi 3 inside a PS Vita. The Vita needs basically no case mods.
View attachment 1455
...clever, eh? Turns out the Vita has these modular controller board inside, so you get some gba sp-esque clicky tacts pre-mounted on the boards. Also, you can control most TFT LCDs directly via the Pi's GPIO through the RGB display parallel interface. No driver boards necessary. The controller is a $10 generic dualshock style usb controller from the wonderful land of china. Vita buttons and sticks wired directly to controller board.

7.4V 6000mah Lipo cells, 5v ti buck reg, hdmi out, 2w stereo speakers, headphone jack, basically the works.
Interesting, also quoting this for later. Luckily I'm using a Zero this time which has 2 separate pins for video so I'm all set this time.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Sounds like some extremely intense wiring, unless you have a breakout board to connect the screen's ribbon cable.
Yeah, I neglected to add some key details. 40-pin TFT LCDs can be wired up using the Adafruit TFT Friend, which even has a boost reg for led backlights. Also, the sparse documentation that is out there is quite thorough.

Luckily I'm using a Zero this time which has 2 separate pins for video so I'm all set this time.
Yeah, I thought about doing a quick'n'dirty composite video solution like that for the Pita, but with retro games I really want pixel-perfect output. Also, EmulationStation menus end up looking blurry with composite, especially on smaller LCDs. That's why I chose DPI, for that HDMI-quality output but without a power-hungry driver board.

The Zero has DPI capability too, so you should look up the datasheet for your LCD panel and see if you can grab a TFT Friend for a quick fix. The datasheet pinout needs 24-bit RGB data on the pin connector--it's standardized, so just check out the link above. You could cut out the driver board, cut power consumption, and get pixel-perfect output at the same time.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Contest is over! Results will be published as soon as possible!
Thanks everyone who posted a design :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Aurelio Why would i do that? Its not that you seem to like pizza or so...
Yeah, pizza is the worst, I should ban you because you put pizza everywhere in your portable :P