Worklog Portable Wii WVI (WIP)

I had an idea for your controller,
You could use a Classic pro controller and a wiimote,
because then you already have wireless, and the classic uses the wiimote, and the wiimote is easily connected through sync button, so you could use the pad on almost any wii.
@DeoNaught

Can you play gamecube games with a classic pro controller plugged in the wiimote? From my experience the wiimote is disabled/shuts off when in gamecube mode.

How is the lcd boards coming?
I ended up just keeping the stock LCD driver board that came withe the backup monitor even though it gets really hot. I bought a copper heatsink I'm just going to put on the chip and I'm also adding a small fan to cool the driver board and the AV receiver as it gets pretty warm as well.

Update:

I installed the screen and controls, audio amp, speakers, battery meter, and a volume slider in the top half of the case.

The bottom half has the charging port, power jack, power switch, AV receiver, joysticks

It's coming together!

QUESTION:

The volume slider works but is very sensitive as in within two millimeters it is at like 50% volume. Any way that I can change that so I can slide it with more range and get proper sensitivity? Thanks in advance!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
@DeoNaught

Can you play gamecube games with a classic pro controller plugged in the wiimote? From my experience the wiimote is disabled/shuts off when in gamecube mode.

I ended up just keeping the stock LCD driver board that came withe the backup monitor even though it gets really hot. I bought a copper heatsink I'm just going to put on the chip and I'm also adding a small fan to cool the driver board and the AV receiver as it gets pretty warm as well.

Update:

I installed the screen and controls, audio amp, speakers, battery meter, and a volume slider in the top half of the case.

The bottom half has the charging port, power jack, power switch, AV receiver, joysticks

It's coming together!

QUESTION:

The volume slider works but is very sensitive as in within two millimeters it is at like 50% volume. Any way that I can change that so I can slide it with more range and get proper sensitivity? Thanks in advance!
Nintendont runs GC games in Wii mode, so a classic controller might work. As for the volume, are you sure the linear potentiometer you have is the correct resistance for that amp?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
QUESTION:

I bet you could swap out the potentiometer slider, but you already cut holes for that specific one. Remove it, measure it, and find one with the same value that is an audio taper instead of a linear taper. Based off your description, it sounds like they used a linear taper for some reason

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you use Nintendont then you can use a classic controller to play gamecube games. If you want to play actual discs, there's an option in Nintendont to boot from the disc drive

Nintendont runs GC games in Wii mode, so a classic controller might work. As for the volume, are you sure the linear potentiometer you have is the correct resistance for that amp?
@Stitches
@Shank

Hmm, would be nice to incorporate a wii controller too. Might actually mess with that.

I'm actually using a 3DS volume slider so I thought it would work fine for controlling the volume. Maybe I wired it wrong or like you said maybe it doesn't match the resistance? The amp I am using said it is 1w at 8ohm. How would I measure the resistance? And would I be able to add any resistors to change the resistance value or would it be best to try another volume slider altogether?

Here is a quick diagram of how I wired it:

Thanks guys!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Stitches
@Shank

Hmm, would be nice to incorporate a wii controller too. Might actually mess with that.

I'm actually using a 3DS volume slider so I thought it would work fine for controlling the volume. Maybe I wired it wrong or like you said maybe it doesn't match the resistance? The amp I am using said it is 1w at 8ohm. How would I measure the resistance? And would I be able to add any resistors to change the resistance value or would it be best to try another volume slider altogether?

Here is a quick diagram of how I wired it:

Thanks guys!
That's a linear potentiometer and it's not good for your setup just like that. You could modify it to work almost like a logarithmic one. Read this page as a reference: http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Like @cheese said

With nintendon't you can, but only with nintendon't,
You can't play it officially with one.

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
If you use Nintendont then you can use a classic controller to play gamecube games. If you want to play actual discs, there's an option in Nintendont to boot from the disc drive
With nintendon't you can, but only with nintendon't,
You can't play it in the officially with one.
KEK

Well, both joysticks I have are no good unfortunately. I desolder one from the board it was on and it just fell apart. The other one only the x axis works and didn't work with my wireless controller or GC+. Ordered some new ones from digikey instead of taken them off a bluetooth controller, which I should receive by the weekend.

Also, experimented with resistor values with the volume slider and works better but is not great, so I want to just replace it.
The amp I am using has a resistance value of 8.5k-10k. So would this slider work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-10K-OHM...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Should have an update early next week. Thanks guys!

Hey guys, project is not dead just been going through quite a bit of struggles with the project. I've probably gone through about 10 different controllers for this project due to other than completely shorting out or something going wrong with it.

Finally I just closed the unit last night and I only have two install the volume wheel when I get it in the mail but that's about it!

I will post some pictures later, however I have a couple questions:

1) for my setup of my controller I'm using a Wii controller with a classic Pro Controller plugged into the Wiimote. It works great once a game is loaded up and also works great in the original Wii menu however the controller is not responsive at all in PortableizeMe. Any reason why that is?

2) I'm using a wireless video transmitter and receiver system and I have a 7.4v to 5v step down regulator with an LC filter built in the regulator board and it is connected to the power lines going to the receiver in the units, as it runs of 5v, however I'm still getting these interference lines and the image is fuzzy and noisy. Do I need to add an LC filter to the main power lines as well that is going to everything else other than the receiver or do you think just adding it to the power lines that are going to the receiver should be fine? Maybe I just need to shield the video wires?

cheese

Staff member
Is the pro controller first party? I've used classic controllers in the menu before, and only official ones work correctly.

For sure add shielding to the wiring. It could also just be interference on the video transmitter/reciever

@cheese
Thank you for the response and yes, the classic Pro controller is 1st party.

It seems more software than hardware in my opinion since the controller works with everything else except PortableizeMe... I'll try restoring the Wii and reinstalling PortableizeMe.

I'll add an LC filter to the transmitter and shield my video wire and hope for the best! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm calling it complete! Only issue I have is the controller still doesn't work in PortablizeMe and have to select a game with an additional Wiimote, but it works fine in game. It's a bit rough and my first completed project, and the internals are a disaster, but it works and that's all I wanted for my first project. Thanks for all the help guys!

Sorry... don't know how to resize the images...

Shielded video wires FTW! The noise is fixed now, which I had a problem with prior.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I love it, very nice work! It is nice to see something different. Iirc the classic controller is not compatible with postLoader, but should be easy to modify its source code to enable it. Remind me about it in like a couple of weeks (I have a deadline on the 14th, so I'm too busy right now) and I'll modify the source code for you.

The antenna gives it such a great look ! Nice case and great project ! Is the connection seamless?

@Aurelio

I had a suspicion it was software related since it didn't make sense that the controller works with everything except PostLoader. And thank you, I appreciate it!

@lyberty5

Thank you! I like it as well haha. It is 99% seamless and is pretty much as if the video was directly connected to the wii via a wire instead of being wirelessly transmitted. There is an very rare flicker here and there, but honestly works great!

@Stitches

Well, I have read the wii u gamepad gets 3-5 hours, which I'm not sure if that is accurate, but I'm getting about 3 hours since I'm using a pretty low capacity battery at only 1800mah with everything drawing about 600mah. To be honestly, I would never sit and play anything for 3 hours strait anyway haha. I really made this for nostalgia and memories as a kid, not really to much of actually playing it even though I have enjoyed playing it haha.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Great job! I really wanted to make something like this but kind of lost interest when I found BitBuilt and saw how small a Wii could be trimmed. Still nice to see one of these made.
Sorry... don't know how to resize the images...
No need. They look fine on my 22" work monitor - not too big, not too small. Honestly, I hate clicking thumbnails to view worklog pics.

cheese

Staff member
Xenforo automatically scales the pictures to fit, but it still downloads the full resolution. It always looks fine, but rip if you have a metered connection

Pretty neat project anyway, glad you finished!