Loading ISOs from SAMBA

Hi guys,

Not really a new idea. I brought this concept up a long time ago on some other forums but I haven't gotten around to actually demonstrating the working product. I couldn't find my extension cord so I couldn't get it all in one shot but here it is:

P_20170719_234645[1].jpg P_20170719_234721[1].jpg
I'm using an 8 USD ARM board called the Nano Pi Neo running SAMBA via cross-over cable (no router) with some basic settings tweaking to work with OPL network loading.

I also bought a logic analyzer recently so hopefully I can look into op codes or something for the disc drive

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Are you using the NanoPi as a way around the PS2's super slow USB loading?

Are you using the NanoPi as a way around the PS2's super slow USB loading?
Yup, haven't really done much real testing to see how much of an improvement it is yet though.

If you guys know of any particular games that have really bad video stuttering or issues that would be good for comparison let me know and I might be able to use that for future testing.

Also in terms of size the Nano Pi is about 40mm by 40mm so it won't take up much extra space. Have yet to test power consumption though (runs at 5v)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yup, haven't really done much real testing to see how much of an improvement it is yet though.

If you guys know of any particular games that have really bad video stuttering or issues that would be good for comparison let me know and I might be able to use that for future testing.

Also in terms of size the Nano Pi is about 40mm by 40mm so it won't take up much extra space. Have yet to test power consumption though (runs at 5v)
It's a pretty clever solution. Do you know if network loading has better or worse game compatibility than USB loading?

I've only skimmed through the compatibility lists they have floating around the internet but from what I've seen ethernet compatibility is slightly better (in terms of work/don't work) and performance is better in general (less stuttering/lag/etc)

Excellent work!! I remember discussing this idea years ago on MR, I'm glad to see it works, and the Nanopi Neo would be great for a portable