Worklog The IkeprodigWii

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I'll have to revisit this particular Wii some other day when I feel confident enough to solder to the legs and get flux. For now, however, I went ahead and ordered and received two Wiis for under $20 and loaded one with Portabilize Memes. The seller claimed they were untested but there were no problems!

I got lucky this time and scored a 4-layer board so I'll be able to do more reallocations!
View attachment 1980

I'm not gonna update my last post on my haves and have nots because the only new things I have now are two more Wiis...

And this:
View attachment 1981
I don't know if I should be asking questions on here but... Are these usable? I have one more laying around some where and it has a lot cool features. I hadn't even thought about using it but once I opened it up ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). If I can use it what kind of battery life would I be looking at?

One more random question: what are these?
View attachment 1982

Ok, that's it for now! I'll probably go ahead and test my screen later tonight!
If that's a 5v rechargeable portable phone battery pack, you can use it as long as it can supply enough current. I believe for wiis the average is about one cell = one hour of battery life with a small screen. I'm using one of those for my wiip and so far it's working great. Mine supplies 2.4 A and my wii with everything except the screen and fan is drawing like 1.8ish amps. So it will be a close call, but I'm hoping it'll work.

Portables
Lol!
If that's a 5v rechargeable portable phone battery pack, you can use it as long as it can supply enough current. I believe for wiis the average is about one cell = one hour of battery life with a small screen. I'm using one of those for my wiip and so far it's working great. Mine supplies 2.4 A and my wii with everything except the screen and fan is drawing like 1.8ish amps. So it will be a close call, but I'm hoping it'll work.
Thanks for the reply! How do I measure the current?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Thanks for the reply! How do I measure the current?
The maximum it can output? Look at your battery on Amazon :P. I suppose you could cut up a micro usb charger instead and measure it while charging your phone, but it's easier just to look it up. Also, you might consider getting a new one since there's no way of telling what the quality / capacity of those cells really is, plus batteries only work a certain number of times so if you've had them a while and use them they won't last quite as long.

Portables
Lol!
The maximum it can output? Look at your battery on Amazon :P. I suppose you could cut up a micro usb charger instead and measure it while charging your phone, but it's easier just to look it up. Also, you might consider getting a new one since there's no way of telling what the quality / capacity of those cells really is, plus batteries only work a certain number of times so if you've had them a while and use them they won't last quite as long.
I've had them for a little under a year and only used them about twice. I'm gonna go ahead and use this in my personal portable for now. The pcb attached includes overcharge protection right?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've had them for a little under a year and only used them about twice. I'm gonna go ahead and use this in my personal portable for now. The pcb attached includes overcharge protection right?
It should have both overcharge and overdischarge protection. Just make sure that they can output enough current for your wii

Portables
Lol!
I may just buy something similar to that but with 4 batteries to power my 9v-36v screen. The current for what I have is 1A. Lol! This way seems much more affordable and efficient. I think someone should add some portable chargers to the BOM...

Edit: I doubt I'll find one that has an output over 5v so I'll probably get another screen and save this one for something else. I've learned a lot today!

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I may just buy something similar to that but with 4 batteries to power my 9v-36v screen. The current for what I have is 1A. Lol! This way seems much more affordable and efficient. I think someone should add some portable chargers to the BOM...
Phone batteries output 5v so you'll have to figure out how to power your screen off them if it really only accepts 9v and up

Portables
Lol!
Phone batteries output 5v so you'll have to figure out how to power your screen off them if it really only accepts 9v and up
Yeah after looking around I figured. Lol! I was editing my last post just when you replied. I'll get another screen.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Yeah after looking around I figured. Lol! I was editing my last post just when you replied. I'll get another screen.
You should find out if it can run on 5v before getting a new one. If it's a backup car monitor, there's a good shot that it can run off 5v

Portables
Lol!
I did this a few days ago but I tested my screen (on 12v) and went ahead and trimmed the board after.

I tested GameCube games when it was untrimmed:
IMG_2566.JPG

And I also tested emulators:
IMG_2571.JPG

I wasn't able to get Wii games to work but I'm 96% sure it's because I'm using a crappy flash drive.

Here's the board trimmed and sanded:
image.jpg

I think everything went OK this time especially since I trimmed a bit outside the lines and I'm in the process of relocating everything. I'll update this post when I do!

I still need to find a case and put together some sort of battery setup with regulators

I'm thinking about purchasing and using this in my portable:
IMG_2584.PNG

Let me know what y'all think!

Update: Just got done cutting and sanding everything out that I'm gonna use. Yes, I'm gonna use everything single thing (if everything goes as planned). I'm trying to decide if I sound wire/solder everything up or wait for some sort of enclosure first...
IMG_2585.JPG

Last edited:
Portables
Lol!
Alright, it's been a minute but not much has really changed. Someone ended up giving me a 5v 2.1A battery pack and all I really need are the regulators (on the way) and some sort of case. I had the clever idea of buying a Leapfrog Leapster Explorer so I could frakencase the hell out of it but long story short, it's not something I can pull off with my skill level. Any suggestions for a case? Is anyone selling a case I could buy?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I'd recommend modeling your own case on CAD and paying someone to print it out for you. It's pretty time consuming, but worth the effort. This way, you get the case you want specifically designed to fit everything you want, and the end product will turn out really nice. I worked with @Chaos to get my case printed, so if you need help getting access to a printer, I recommend going through him.

Portables
Lol!
I'd recommend modeling your own case on CAD and paying someone to print it out for you. It's pretty time consuming, but worth the effort. This way, you get the case you want specifically designed to fit everything you want, and the end product will turn out really nice. I worked with @Chaos to get my case printed, so if you need help getting access to a printer, I recommend going through him.
Cool! I'll look into that when I have the time!