Worklog Roberb's first wii portable

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Well all right. That solved my issues. Now am I correct in that leaving the Bluetooth module intact but relocating it on the new trimmed mobo would allow me to boot Wii ISO's? Something in the trimming guide said that removing the Bluetooth is why Wii games won't boot.
Yeah, as of now Wii games don't boot if the Bluetooth module is not relocated

well after many months of random shit happening (when you've got a new baby things like this get thrown to the way side) I've got no wifi cios installed and priiloader autoboots to usbloader gx and I don't deal with any flipped screens. The reason i use usb loader gx is that my wife likes how simple it looks, just like the real wii menu so she doesn't get confused by multiple menus. I'm in the process of waiting on my parts to arrive. i.e. screen,case,wii2hdmi,multi meter tester, and flux for soldering. the only thing i don't have yet is custom regulators and wiring ordered yet but it's cheap so no issues. I'm using a oem gamecube controller for the portable. it will have the LED's from the wii sensor bar on the front near the screen for using a wii mote. I'm going to uses the OMGWTF trim. I'll have to relocate the bluetooth but no big deal. I've already got li-on batteries. I pulled single cells from my old lenovo laptop that i'm no longer using due to it got dropped at a friend's house and busted. I'm trying to think of any parts i'm missing.. Oh for the casework I'm using bondo and hot glue for a frankencase. I'm using a DS carrying case that I'll be modding using pieces cut from the original wii case. More info and pics will be uploaded as parts and things come in. Oh it'll have a real oem gamecube memory card mobo soldered internally, keeping the SD card internally as well, and boot games from USB.

after this project is finished (probably be done by august or september time permitting) I'll start working on a ps2 portable. Separate thread will be made but not a whole lot is documented on the ps2 portablizing so if anyone could point me in the right direction for research that'd be great.

edit: just remembered, I'm using oem gamecube buttons on the front, but i'm using dual 3ds sliders since I've decided on making this a clam shell design. I'm using the GC+ driver board to solder all of my buttons and joysticks to.

edit2: okay so i've installed portablizemii and I said yes to no wifi cios and it did everything. asked me to reset the console without sd. did that. turned it on. chose to install stuff to usb. it went into postloader like normal. I wanted to see what would happen if I chose to boot into the homebrew channel since some people said the no wifi cios would make the screen flipped upside down on the homebrew channel. well it doesn't lol. Anyone know why?

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I wanted to see what would happen if I chose to boot into the homebrew channel since some people said the no wifi cios would make the screen flipped upside down on the homebrew channel. well it doesn't lol. Anyone know why?
If the HBC (Homebrew Channel) is not upside down, then you are not running the No-Wifi IOSs.

If anyone see's this and can help me out, I was wondering if this fan would work for cooling my system or not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-4CM-...208038?hash=item1a2d2f0d66:g:zZMAAOSwFJBZSK~c

It's a small graphics card cooling fan.
I cooled my PiiWii Pocket with a cooling fan similar to that one. Keep in mind that one runs on 12v, so I would look for a similarly sized one in 5v if you want to use it with a trimmed board, since you don't use 12v on a trimmed mobo (motherboard). A fan of this size will probably be fine, assuming you have a decent airflow and heatsink setup.

If the HBC (Homebrew Channel) is not upside down, then you are not running the No-Wifi IOSs.

I cooled my PiiWii Pocket with a cooling fan similar to that one. Keep in mind that one runs on 12v, so I would look for a similarly sized one in 5v if you want to use it with a trimmed board, since you don't use 12v on a trimmed mobo (motherboard). A fan of this size will probably be fine, assuming you have a decent airflow and heatsink setup.
Okay thanks for the heads up. I'll attempt to reinstall portablizemii with no wifi cios. Also edited my search for a 5v fan. Found a small graphics card fan that runs on 5v and I ordered thermal pad heat syncs. At this point I'm just waiting on everything I ordered to come in the mail.
Parts ordered so far:
5" Screen with 40pin connector, 40 pin ribbon cable, wii2hdmi, 34 wiring, plastic case, two 3ds sliders w/caps, gc+
Things I already have:
Nintendo wii 6 layer board, 2 separate 5v batteries that have a capacity of 2000mah, spare buttons from gc controller, wii remote for some Wii games that don't use the gc controller or need the classic controller
Things I need to still order:
Fan, probably a battery surge protector board, speaker and amp, tacts and switches and whatnot, custom regulators/possibly a powermii lite if it gets put on the store as I don't know the plans for it or if he's still selling them atm.

Question: does it matter whether I use a 60W soldering iron or a 40W soldering iron?

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
Okay thanks for the heads up. I'll attempt to reinstall portablizemii with no wifi cios. Also edited my search for a 5v fan. Found a small graphics card fan that runs on 5v and I ordered thermal pad heat syncs. At this point I'm just waiting on everything I ordered to come in the mail.
Parts ordered so far:
5" Screen with 40pin connector, 40 pin ribbon cable, wii2hdmi, 34 wiring, plastic case, two 3ds sliders w/caps, gc+
Things I already have:
Nintendo wii 6 layer board, 2 separate 5v batteries that have a capacity of 2000mah, spare buttons from gc controller, wii remote for some Wii games that don't use the gc controller or need the classic controller
Things I need to still order:
Fan, probably a battery surge protector board, speaker and amp, tacts and switches and whatnot, custom regulators/possibly a powermii lite if it gets put on the store as I don't know the plans for it or if he's still selling them atm.

Question: does it matter whether I use a 60W soldering iron or a 40W soldering iron?
A 60w soldering iron may be better since it can probably get more heat to the tip.

BocuD

Portables
okay was just wondering as one is cheaper than the other but I'll go with the 60W.
If you're buying a new iron, make sure you get one with a replaceable tip AND adjustable temperature.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Would not recommend. Its a safe bet that if it doesn't have a box that sits on your desk to adjust temperature, it is a piece of junk and a waste of money. If you buy this, you are going to struggle to get anything done, and you will wind up buying a nicer one anyway.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Its a safe bet that if it doesn't have a box that sits on your desk to adjust temperature, it is a piece of junk and a waste of money.
Not necessarily. My Hakko hasn't let me down yet and it's single temp. But in this case Roberb, I would buy that kit only for the helping hands and throw the rest away.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
OKAY so interesting news. My homebrew channel is installed on ios61 v21.29 and that is why it is NOT flipped upside down because the nowifi ios is installed in a different ios.

BocuD

Portables
OKAY so interesting news. My homebrew channel is installed on ios61 v21.29 and that is why it is NOT flipped upside down because the nowifi ios is installed in a different ios.
just one question... how did you manage to get the homebrew channel installed in ios61?

I don't remember. Because when I set up homebrew channel it was 2013 or so. And I'm on 4.2U firmware. I used letterbomb I believe. I have no idea how come it's on ios61.

edit: also postloader confirmed that I'm on ios58 no wifi mode. when I press home menu in the homebrew channel it says ios61.

edit2: if i remember correctly when I hacked it used hackmii and it did it automatically and set it to ios61 on it's own. not sure why.

Last edited:
Update: after trying to set the gamecube buttons on the face of my case I'm realizing they stick out a lot. So I'm thinking of using the start, abxy, L+R, and dpad buttons from a classic controller instead.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
just one question... how did you manage to get the homebrew channel installed in ios61?
The hackmii installer installs the hbc on a IOS that hasn’t been modified, so if he had nowifi already installed (or any other cIOS on IOS slot 58) then the hbc would have been installed on a different slot and the one picked after the 58 is the 61