Retro duo( not the handheld ) question

I plan on buying a duo in the future instead of seperatly buying a nes clone and snes clone( project). How is the circuit setup? Are the nes and snes circuitry together or seperate boards? I want to make seperate handhelds.

Pacal

Portables
RDP 64
You should go with the retron 3 the nes board and the snes are separate and the nes board is really small,the snes board and the sega are together but you can cut the board and use only the snes and make it the same size as a snes cartridge

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I haven't looked into them, so I don't know much. But aren't they just emulators? Why would they use separate chips if they are emulating anyway? I highly doubt there are 2 completely separate systems inside of there. Nope, Im wrong.

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Well that's inexperience talking. A basic google search reveals an old blog post from our buddy The Longhorn Engineer. He was at MGC this year so you probably even met him. Anyways, there's definitely two boards in there. From what I remember from portablizing one of these myself, you can remove the NES board and the SNES stuff will still work fine, but the NES board is reliant on the main one.

Older shit like the retro duo isn't exactly an emulator like you'd think. Hardware emulator, maybe. I seem to remember the sound quality not being as good as an OG SNES.

It's a pretty good candidate for a SNES only portable, or maybe a combo one that does both like in the blog post. I have virtually no experience with the NES aside from relocating it's cart slot(something I did for a repair job once ayy) so you'd have to find something else for that. THere may be new options. Worth doing a little more research for sure.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Woah, thats super weird, but really interesting. Im gonna need to read up on those and how they work, and why they made them the way they did.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Woah, thats super weird, but really interesting. Im gonna need to read up on those and how they work, and why they made them the way they did.
Since the nes is 8 bit, it can essentially run cpu stuff on the snes cpu and just swap what part of the glop top is doing the video processing

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Im glad we have a god in our presence
Doom is pretty amazing. Don't be fooled by his happy dememer, his jovial disposition belies a wealth of wisdom.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I've "internet known" Doom for a few years now and I still don't know what to make of him. If I get to make it to MGC '018 my plan is to approach with caution.