Question Help with Wii Portable

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The top-left and bottom-middle are the only two needed pads. You then need to bridge all 3 pins on the bottom, and connect the wire to the top right pin. Make sure the trace is cut, and you should be all good.

All right Thanks guys, I just want to make sure I do this one properly. I done the gamecube cut and had zero issues, everyone said the Wii was easier, but it sure as heck has not been easy for me for some reason.

Thanks

ok, so the board is cut. and the 1.5v line is shorted out. I had the crap taped out of it, no way anything got under the GPU/CPU. Not sure what else to try. Resistance check shows 27.5 Ohm.

Are there any points on the bottom of the board, where you can test if pin 10 and 11 are actually attached?

Last edited:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
First off please do not post more than once. We had an edit button for a reason. There are few circumstances in which double or triple posting is allowed but they are few and far between.

Second, if you are having shorts then you need to sand the sides better. Start with 200 grit sandpaper and then 500 and so forth. There are some tricky areas but this is a critical step so don't skimp or rush it.

Can anyone tell me why I can get Composite Video working if I hook up to the top - bottom - left? Pic below circled in red where it works. But not able to get video from anywhere else?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can anyone tell me why I can get Composite Video working if I hook up to the top - bottom - left? Pic below circled in red where it works. But not able to get video from anywhere else?

When you say "anywhere else", do you mean further up the composite line? If so, that is an odd problem indeed. Are you using a dab of flux when soldering to the composite points? If the solder doesn't flow together properly, the joint can look solid without actually being connected.

If i attach a wire from any other point then that one I have circled, I get no Video. That one spot is the only one where I can get video out. With all the moving and stuff the line broke free from that Cap on the bottom left. And now I can't get video out. Only thing I get is the screen flashing for second and repeat.

cheese

Staff member
Did you make sure to connect ground to the wii and the screen? Also if you've broken a component, it's a good idea to remove it.

close up of bluetooth lines. I had a heck of a time getting those wires on those locations this time, not sure why. Usually very easy, I did try pulling up the traces. I was told that was a better way to do it. As you can see it did not go easy.

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
Try cleaning off the areas you've soldered to with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. That'll brush away any bubbles of solder that may be shorting something and make it look a bit nicer.

Pretty sure I know what is wrong with the board. So I have another one coming. I need to slow down and take it easy. You can't be ruff with this board as you can with the gamecube. Thanks for the helps guys.

can anyone tell me why my Wii is doing this when running the cheese installer?

cheese

Staff member
Depends on where it happens. Did you try re-copying the pack to your usb/sd? Was the wii modded previously?

it does it after I click the + sign, and it makes it about half way down on the screen, it flashes so quick I can't see what it is. I have redone the sd/usb 3 times. I reset the system/formated the memory. And as far as I can tell it was not modded.

ok another question. The caps that are at the bottom on the Wii, Are those able to be removed? If they are removed, do I loose something?

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
ok another question. The caps that are at the bottom on the Wii, Are those able to be removed? If they are removed, do I loose something?
All 5 can be removed. They're just video filter caps.

Edit: Make sure that if you remove them, you tap video from a place before the cap. Obviously beyond the removed cap you will no longer get a signal.