Whats the voltage of the 8 bit console?

Theres a nes clone called 8 bit entertainment system on amazon but it doesnt show the voltage of the power brick.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
No way of knowing without testing yourself but the power bricks are *usually* 9v but you can run em on less. 6v (4aa's) is usually the sweet spot, might run on 5v or less.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
So you actually have the power brick? Get a multimeter and check that, son.

6V is probably safe to feed it. If you opened the console up, I'd bet a dollar the first thing it does is run power through a 7805 linear voltage reg.

Edit: I thought you meant you have the power brick in hand and the label doesn't show output voltage. I now understand that Amazon just doesn't give the voltage.

Thank you! I hope they re 9 volts because most small LCDs run at 12 but if your lucky they can hold they re ground at 9.

Im not really interested in making it run on batteries, i just want it to have enough voltage to display on a nice small lcd

Prog

If you don't have one of these yet, I'd recommend a Retro-Bit Retro Entertainment System instead, which is only like $7 more. The 8BES bears a striking resemblance to the early, terrible NES clones in terms of sound and picture quality.

Unless you're using the HD version, which may be better.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
If you get one without a power brick, make sure you know whether the plug is center positive or not. Most plugs are, but I've come across a couple come systems they were center negative. Don't want to run the electricity in backwards :)

If you get one without a power brick, make sure you know whether the plug is center positive or not. Most plugs are, but I've come across a couple come systems they were center negative. Don't want to run the electricity in backwards :)
So i got one and it produces 6 volts! First time i ve seen a 6 volt wall. So i would like to know how i would get it to run off of a 12 volt tiny lithium pack i have. Step down regulator? I have one from getfpv and was wondering if it would be good to use?

-merge-

So you actually have the power brick? Get a multimeter and check that, son.

6V is probably safe to feed it. If you opened the console up, I'd bet a dollar the first thing it does is run power through a 7805 linear voltage reg.

Edit: I thought you meant you have the power brick in hand and the label doesn't show output voltage. I now understand that Amazon just doesn't give the voltage.
Your right!

-merge-

Or would that be unnessasary since the 7805 would do that anyway? I just dont want to kill it im just trying to be safe.

Moderator note: please use the edit button instead of posting multiple times.

Last edited by a moderator:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-TRIPLE POST

A PTH08080 should do the trick. Other regulators often get super hot and shut off. You could also try running it off of 5v, it MIGHT work

T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-TRIPLE POST

A PTH08080 should do the trick. Other regulators often get super hot and shut off. You could also try running it off of 5v, it MIGHT work
The PTH08080 seems to be like the only regulator anyone uses lol, i saw moddedbybacteria use it for his stuff but dont think i ve seen ben heck use it before

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It's because the PTH is much higher quality than other prebuilt regulators on the market, especially the cheap Chinese ones that claim they work, but melt themselves apart if you use them anywhere close to their "maximum" ratings