The Unofficial Official BitBuilt Melee Thread

Hey friends,

I've played Melee with ShockSlayer for years now and we decided we wanted to bring it to BitBuilt, potentially with a future in holding competitions, regular friendlies, etc.

For those of you familiar with competitive Melee already, I use Smash Ladder for netplay practice. A complete guide to netplay can be found here, which includes a link to a modified Dolphin distribution required to play Melee online without desyncing or frame rate problems. You should have no problem running this - I run it on my four year old Thinkpad laptop no problem, and it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card! Just really try to have a wired connection to play with people.

For those unfamiliar with the true competitive side of Melee, Smash Boards has tons of resources for beginners, including dedicated forums for each character. Some incredible top level sets to get a taste for what the game really is can be found here, here, and here.

I am also around to help! Let's get some Melee discussion going and some games started up!

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I like me some melee, but my netplay experiences have always left me disappointed. But for BitBuilt, I may have to set up faster melee, find an ethernet dongle and give it another shot.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I like me some melee, but my netplay experiences have always left me disappointed. But for BitBuilt, I may have to set up faster melee, find an ethernet dongle and give it another shot.
If you've never tried faster melee it's really a huge improvement over what was used before, coming from someone who has been part of the melee netplay community since it's beginning.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Yeah it's actually ridiculous how much it's progressed. @honeybun and I have tried netplay all sorts of different ways over the years, we remember what it was like when it sucked.

Well I destroy Mango and Armada on the daily so I'm down. ;) but I really do love melee... I can't really wavedash or any of that though so I'm basically terrible. I would definitely watch though!

The first time SS and I did netplay was before I played at a competitive level probably three years ago and it was a chore. Today I was playing with people in my region over netplay with nearly no lag.

Man, I wish I could play but my ping with generally anyone isn't that great (and a little erratic) so netplay, while not terrible is also not a very enjoyable experience :P

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@jefflongo just 4stocked my samus with falcon. It was on stock melee netplay from texas to socal at 40fps, so I dont know if that makes it less impressive or more impressive. Regardless, it was pretty great, and he is pretty damn good.

I suck at melee. But why not? I'm joining in. I main falco, and have marth and Samus as secondaries. I almost never wavedash, but I do use l-cancelling. Again, I suck. I hope if we make our own smash community we start a smash 4 Wii u one, since I have actually won some locals where I live