Worklog ByteMe's GCp

ByteMe

Hello everyone. I now have ordered and received nearly everything for my first portable project, a gamecube portable. This project has been around 2 years in the making by now, and all started when I stumbled upon Bungles gamecube portable and was introduced to the world of portablizing. Since then I have been faithfully following the forums, learning the methods, and gaining inspiration. My plan for this is to be a bit of a tribute to the portable to that introduced me to the hobby. That being said this is not going to be a clone and I plan and do many things quite differently that should make for a unique and awesome end product… hopefully.

Specs:

◦ Official Wii U Gamepad Shell w/ AG-54 Expansion
◦ Original Controller Bezels and buttons, GC+
◦ Stock Gamecube Triggers, providing full range
◦ 5.6” Dalian Good Display
◦ VGA via GC Video (Most likely added later once Mega ships out the boards)
◦ Internal Batteries w/ charge indicator
◦ 256MB memory card on slot
◦ SD Gecko on slot B
◦ Wasp Fusion
◦ Trimmed GC heatsink w/ EeePC fan
◦ Custom Regulators
◦ Wii AV Port, allowing both composite or component cables
◦ Modified Wii U adapter, allows for 4 players via single usb 3.0 jack
◦ Internal Wavebird Adaptor?

Not sure if this will be done in time for the contest, still have yet to order some critical parts Megadrive/Wasp/Batteries, but am going to give it my best shot.

Attached are some very rough mockups of the project, layout is dependent on where excess space is, nothing is set in stone, and will likely change. Sketches are in grey for ease of viewing, leaning towards a black for the color. Also the button art on the front panel is not my own.

Back.jpg Front.jpg Top.jpg Bottom.jpg
Have been working on this the past couple weeks as I aim to complete it for this year's contest after last year's failure. Since last year, remaining parts have been acquired. I have revised design, adding: dalian good display, gc video, custom regulators, GC+, and using a AG-54 for the expansion Casework is coming along nicely, most of the major modifications are complete. Machined down the heatsink and set in the fan as well to match contours of AG-54.

Front 1.jpgCase 2.jpgCase 1.jpgHeatsink 1.jpgHeatsink 2.jpg
After a failed first attempt the board is successfully trimmed and is booting on custom regulators. Unfortunately, I have encountered a few more issues. My fan has suddenly stopped working, another is on order but will take a while to get here. Also, this board does not seem to like the lower voltage my 1.9v reg is supplying (1.76v no load, 1.57v under load) as the video signal is terrible (shown in pic), this issue is corrected when running stock regulators, so regulators will need to be adjusted.
Regs.jpgBoard 1.jpg IMG_7272.jpg IMG_7270.jpg ]
Wired up the wasp adaptor and positioned it so it can be secured down on top of the heatsink bolts. Wasp is fully operational and running swiss. Also wired up the memory card, and bios battery. Don't really want to progress any further on the wiring until I know final positions of components in the case, so I'm shifting my focus over to casework.
IMG_7288.jpgIMG_7287.jpgIMG_7286.jpg
It's been a long time since my last update but I have made some exciting headway. Casework is nearing completion, the last few weeks have mainly consisted of adding a layer of epoxy/bondo, wet sanding, and repeat. I just sprayed on a coat of primer to help me see the spots that still need work, I expect the case will be ready for paint soon, once I finalize button/port placement. On the electrical side of things I've endurance tested the heatsink and all is good, I've also wired up the controller and added screw posts (Yay no glue!). Sadly once again this won't be done for the contest between the case work took MUCH longer than expected, and having to wait on parts, I was thrown off schedule. I think this project is definitely nearing completion.
IMG_7361.jpg IMG_7387.jpg IMG_7360.jpg IMG_7390.jpg IMG_7391.jpg

Edit: Updated Specs

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Looks nice! I'm excited to see how that works out. I actually watched the video of this very portable a few (hundred) times in my early days, pausing quickly and taking screenshots of the internals. I'm excited to see a reimagining of it!

As for the dual switching memory cards, why not get a single memory card with multiple memory units? The 512mb card I have has 4 memory banks, and I can toggle through them with a tact switch.

ByteMe

I know exactly what you're talking about, did the same thing. Thats actually what I'm doing, I bought one similar to the one you linked, it a 256MB though. I'll fix the wording on the original post.

Last edited:

ByteMe

Due to other obligations in my life as of lately, work/school, I have not had the time to put into this project that it requires. That along with BadAss Consoles currently being out of stock of megadrives/wasps, I still don't have the required materials to complete it. So unfortunately I will have to withdraw from the contest. I am not abandoning this project, but because of the reasons stated above it will most likely be on hold until next year. I wish all the other contestants good luck, look forward to seeing all the other entries.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Sorry to hear that man. If your life IRL clears up I have an extra wasp I will probably never use that I'd gladly ship you. I wish I could see this project make the deadline, but I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

ByteMe

BUMP

Have been working on this the past couple weeks as I aim to complete it for this year's contest after last year's failure. Since last year, remaining parts have been acquired. I have also revised my plans adding: dalian good display, gc video, custom regulators, GC+, and using a AG-54 for the expansion (All updated in OP). Case work is coming along nicely, but have run into a snag with the board. I had removed all ports and board was running fine on custom regulators, but after completing minimalist trim I get no audio or video. Edges have been thoroughly sanded first with 320 than 600. No shorts are to be found both visually or with my meter. GPU and CPU are still heating up. Hoping to salvage this board, any ideas?

Regs.jpgHeatsink 1.jpgHeatsink 2.jpgFront 1.jpgCase 2.jpgCase 1.jpgBoard 1.jpgBoard 2.jpg

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
BUMP

Have been working on this the past couple weeks as I aim to complete it for this year's contest after last year's failure. Since last year, remaining parts have been acquired. I have also revised my plans adding: dalian good display, gc video, custom regulators, GC+, and using a AG-54 for the expansion (All updated in OP). Case work is coming along nicely, but have run into a snag with the board. I had removed all ports and board was running fine on custom regulators, but after completing minimalist trim I get no audio or video. Edges have been thoroughly sanded first with 320 than 600. No shorts are to be found both visually or with my meter. GPU and CPU are still heating up. Hoping to salvage this board, any ideas?

View attachment 2658View attachment 2660View attachment 2659View attachment 2661View attachment 2662View attachment 2663View attachment 2665View attachment 2664
pics?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I attached pics of both sides of the motherboard in the post above, what specifically are you wanting pics of?
Apologies, didn't see. Your trim looks fine. What is your video hooked up to? Also, I can't tell from the picture but it appears you only have right audio wired I don't know if you were testing with just one audio line or both. Also ensure your ground shielding does not have continuity with your composite/audio pins.

EDIT: You could also check to make sure the chips are receiving their respective voltages when turned on and that they are heating up (see img)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
BUMP

View attachment 2658View attachment 2660View attachment 2659View attachment 2661View attachment 2662View attachment 2663View attachment 2665View attachment 2664
Do the chips heat up when you turn it on?

If you get your video working but not your audio, you could try this from Kasar's gcp guide. As a disclaimer, it's not part of the guide here, so it may be outdated, but if you can't figure it out, it might be worth a shot.

Attachments

Last edited:

ByteMe

Apologies, didn't see. Your trim looks fine. What is your video hooked up to? Also, I can't tell from the picture but it appears you only have right audio wired I don't know if you were testing with just one audio line or both. Also ensure your ground shielding does not have continuity with your composite/audio pins. Just for testing I am using a portable dvd player on input, which I know to work.

EDIT: You could also check to make sure the chips are receiving their respective voltages when turned on and that they are heating up (see img)
Yeah I just had the one line hooked up for testing. I know for a fact that my 1.9v regulator is a little low (I used the recommended 1k resistor), 1.76 with no load and 1.61 under load. The others are good: 3.31v no load, 3.20 under load also 5.04v no load, 4.96 under load. As I said though it was working before, just to be sure I wired up the stock regulator and still no luck. Double checked the audio and video lines and the shielding is not shorted to the signal.

Do the chips heat up when you turn it on?
GPU and CPU are still heating up
Thanks for all the suggestions, if

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Yeah I just had the one line hooked up for testing. I know for a fact that my 1.9v regulator is a little low (I used the recommended 1k resistor) , 1.76 with no load and 1.61 under load. The others are good: 3.31v no load, 3.20 under load also 5.04v no load, 4.96 under load. Just to be sure I wired up the stock regulator and still no luck. Double checked the audio and video lines and the shielding is not shorted to the signal.
The CPU can run off of 1.7v just fine so that's okay. Are you checking at those points in the pic? Making sure the chips are actually receiving voltage? What is your video line wired to on the other end?

ByteMe

The CPU can run off of 1.7v just fine so that's okay. Are you checking at those points in the pic? Making sure the chips are actually receiving voltage? What is your video line wired to on the other end?
Those are actually the points where I am supplying to the board, so they are receiving voltage. As for the video, I just chopped the male ends off an av cable and have it plugged into the input of my monitor.

Edit: Not sure if this is useful, when power is applied there is a faint audio distortion present

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Those are actually the points where I am supplying to the board, so they are receiving voltage. As for the video, I just chopped the male ends off an av cable and have it plugged into the input of my monitor.
Did that work for you before trimming? Your monitor supports composite video?

ByteMe

Did that work for you before trimming? Your monitor supports composite video?
Yes prior to trimming this exact setup was working, both the regulators and screen. I just checked the screen with a untrimmed board to be sure and it works flawlessly. There is no continuity between the 5, 12 or 3.3 lines and ground, and the 1.9 is reading 21.8 ohms.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Yes prior to trimming this exact setup was working, both the regulators and screen. I just checked the screen with a untrimmed board to be sure and it works flawlessly. There is no continuity between the 5, 12 or 3.3 lines and ground, and the 1.9 is reading 21.8 ohms.
Check continuity between audio/video relocation points and the computer end of the wire

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Hmmmm. Try what Jefflongo said, make sure that everything is connected.

Did you tape up your chips before trimming? If it was working right before you trimmed it, and doesn't now, maybe some metal dust got in there.

I'd go over the edges again with a high grit sandpaper too just to be sure.

ByteMe

Check continuity between audio/video relocation points and the computer end of the wire
I think that I have a different revision than the picture you linked, anyways I checked to the points in the attached photo and all is good.

23.png

Hmmmm. Try what Jefflongo said, make sure that everything is connected.

Did you tape up your chips before trimming? If it was working right before you trimmed it, and doesn't now, maybe some metal dust got in there.

I'd go over the edges again with a high grit sandpaper too just to be sure.
That was my first thought, I did tape over the chips so I don't see how something could have. I took some compressed air and blew the board off to see if I could dislodge it if it did, no sucess. I'll give it another go with the 600 grit in the morning to be sure, I have probably spent two hours sanding at this point.

ByteMe

Update:

First off thanks Jefflongo and Madmorda for the troubleshooting assistance, but unfortunately I was unable to salvage that board. I trimmed up a second one which was successful.
IMG_7272.jpg
Unfortunately, I have encountered a few more issues. My fan has suddenly stopped working, another is on order but will take a while to get here. Also, this board does not seem to like the lower voltage my 1.9v reg is supplying (1.76v no load, 1.57v under load) as the video signal is terrible, the video signal is nice and crisp when I switched to stock regs so will have to change that.
IMG_7270.jpg
This week I aim to wire up the wasp, controller, memory card, and continue on the case.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I must admit, if the system was stable like that I would be tempted to leave it even though it looks super corrupted :P

Also, you want me to move this to the contest section?