Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Have any of you guys used one of these PAM 8803s? Tried hooking it up today and no audio, wasn't sure if there was some trick to get it going or whatnot. I had 5.02V going to it and the audio lines were coming from the two points in the trimming guide.
View attachment 2555
Did you bridge SDN and 5v together? The board won't turn on if you don't.

kjc35

Are you using a trimmed wii? If so, you'll need to use specific audio points labeled in the wii trimming guide. To be brief, some of the points require you to have 12v for the preamp.
Yeah, I had the 12V (or at least my max voltage of 7.4) hooked up to the preamp, but like Oz said I just didn't have SDN and 5V bridged! Thanks to both of you guys

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What do you use for a mono audio amp and speaker?
still need to get one to finish my first portable...
You specified mono, so your selection is a bit limited compared to stereo. The vast majority of mono amps I can find are either massive, or don't have volume control, but these two look okay.

Adafruit sells this one that has a trim pot for volume. You can set the volume with a little screwdriver, but if you want to adjust the volume mid play, you'd need to desolder it and get a bigger potentiometer.

There's also this one on ebay. It's pretty big, so is the volume pot.

I'm sure there are some stereo amps that won't explode if you just connect one input channel to them, but I don't have that knowledge. As for speakers, how much space is available? You'd need to match the speakers to your available internal space, and the wattage of the amp.

You specified mono, so your selection is a bit limited compared to stereo. The vast majority of mono amps I can find are either massive, or don't have volume control, but these two look okay.

Adafruit sells this one that has a trim pot for volume. You can set the volume with a little screwdriver, but if you want to adjust the volume mid play, you'd need to desolder it and get a bigger potentiometer.

There's also this one on ebay. It's pretty big, so is the volume pot.

I'm sure there are some stereo amps that won't explode if you just connect one input channel to them, but I don't have that knowledge. As for speakers, how much space is available? You'd need to match the speakers to your available internal space, and the wattage of the amp.
Yeah its been hard trying to find something that will work with just mono. I got one off ebay but the type of speaker it needs is too big for my portable.
Thanks for the tips I'll take a look at them :)
I have about 1 inch of space in there, a bit more even.

I just use a stereo amp but only wire up one side of it
Oh good that does work then. I'll have to find on that comes with a small speaker.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah its been hard trying to find something that will work with just mono. I got one off ebay but the type of speaker it needs is too big for my portable.
Thanks for the tips I'll take a look at them :)
I have about 1 inch of space in there, a bit more even.

Oh good that does work then. I'll have to find on that comes with a small speaker.
Speakers are easy. I like this kind the best. Less than an inch wide, pretty flat and very clear. If you look, you might find some that won't take a month to ship from China.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Those look like they would do nicely. What amp do you like to use with that one? If I can use stereo will work then I might as well get one that I can use a nice pot and headphone jack.
Any amp will work with those. The wattage is how much power the speaker can take without distorting (IIRC), so you can use these with just about any 3W and below amp.

As for stereo amps; If you like a volume pot, these are pretty good. I used them in my bigger portables because it has a click off function at the lowest volume.

There are also these ones. They use two momentary tact switches instead of a pot for volume, but it uses next to no power and it's tiny. You just need to solder bridge the voltage in to the SDN pin so it turns on.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Is it possible to cut out the controller port piece of the wii mobo while maintaining the internal connections of GND/5v/3.3v? I'd like to do this to create an external controller port box with minimal wiring. I don't know where the traces are that interconnects these so I don't know how close you can cut to the ports.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Is it possible to cut out the controller port piece of the wii mobo while maintaining the internal connections of GND/5v/3.3v? I'd like to do this to create an external controller port box with minimal wiring. I don't know where the traces are that interconnects these so I don't know how close you can cut to the ports.
If you want to design a cut around certain parts retaining continuity, The Compendium is where you should start. It let's you view all the hidden layers to know where and how everything is connected. That should let you determine how much you can cut off while still keeping a connection.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
What's the preferred way of securing things such as the screen or speakers to the case? Epoxy? Hot glue?
Use screws as much as possible. Glue works, and is easy, but you can't unglue, so if something breaks, you are out of luck.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I have some questions about 3D printed cases and 3DS sliders for those of you who have done this before. First of all, how thick is the part of the case that you have the cap part go over? Is there a certain thickness I shouldn't go over? And also, how big do you make the hole that you kind of screw that cap into? Mine measures about .375 inches, which is enough for me to barely pop it in and out, and I'm worried that I wont get the full range of motion out of the sticks if it's that small.

Thanks!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have some questions about 3D printed cases and 3DS sliders for those of you who have done this before. First of all, how thick is the part of the case that you have the cap part go over? Is there a certain thickness I shouldn't go over? And also, how big do you make the hole that you kind of screw that cap into? Mine measures about .375 inches, which is enough for me to barely pop it in and out, and I'm worried that I wont get the full range of motion out of the sticks if it's that small.

Thanks!
The circle diameter is 11.5mm, while for the thickness you should use something between 0.8mm and 1mm (it kinda depends on your layer height and how well your bed is leveled).

I refuse to use inches :P

Hey guys,
I got a problem with my screen and adapter. This may just be because it is designed for a raspberry pi, but I was believing that HDMI in this configuration just has to work o.O .
I got the Wii2HDMI Adapter from Amazon and a relatively cheap 800x480 screen with HDMI from ebay:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01K1T6666/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.ebay.de/itm/252775898007?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

But all I get from the Wii is a very stretched and doubled image:

Any suggestions? I searched the forum and googled... But I couldn't find the answer.
Btw: The screen works with my PC but not wth my PS3/PS4... -.-* . I was thinking that this problem is because of the screens resolution?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hey guys,
I got a problem with my screen and adapter. This may just be because it is designed for a raspberry pi, but I was believing that HDMI in this configuration just has to work o.O .
I got the Wii2HDMI Adapter from Amazon and a relatively cheap 800x480 screen with HDMI from ebay:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01K1T6666/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.ebay.de/itm/252775898007?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

But all I get from the Wii is a very stretched and doubled image:

Any suggestions? I searched the forum and googled... But I couldn't find the answer.
Btw: The screen works with my PC but not wth my PS3/PS4... -.-* . I was thinking that this problem is because of the screens resolution?
Make sure that you have 480p enabled in your wii systems settings

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I want to use a 19 pin FFC to carry HDMI video from a Pluto GCVideo to my LCD driver board, but I'm a little concerned about interference. I've seen someone else do it on Modretro once, and JacksonS is doing it for his Wii SP 2.0. Are my fears unsubstantiated? Or would using spiraled/shielded wire be the better (but messier) option?

JacksonS

Portables
I want to use a 19 pin FFC to carry HDMI video from a Pluto GCVideo to my LCD driver board, but I'm a little concerned about interference.
That should be fine as long as it's not a really long cable (I've had no issues so far with a 100mm cable). The HDMI lines might cause interference in audio devices if you run audio wires right next to it, so try to avoid that.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Well, you can try, but HDMI cables have twisted pairs to reduce interference. A short run should be fine, but a long run will have higher chances of interference.
That should be fine as long as it's not a really long cable (I've had no issues so far with a 100mm cable). The HDMI lines might cause interference in audio devices if you run audio wires right next to it, so try to avoid that.
Yeah it'd be 100mm or less if I can get away with it. I was going to have the wires as far away from anything else as possible anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.