Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakuku

Portables
Between coats I usually sand the layer with some sponge-type sanding paper. It's soft enough to not damage the layer and still sturdy to get off any drops or splatters that may have formed.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Does anyone have any recommendations for an audio amp and speakers? There is an audio amp in the BOM but I don't want to wait for shipping from China.

Also if someone could explain to me what I should be looking for when browsing for an audio amp. For example, what should I consider when looking for one and what are the different xlasses? (D/G/?)

I basically just want one where I can use speakers that aren't too big and I'd preferably would like to be able to use a volume slider/wheel.

Hi guys 2 quick questions
1. What games suffer the most from 3ds joystick crawling?
2. Have you guys ever tried boarding a plane with a portable? If your wiring was clean it might pass but some of the messy one probably look a bit suspicious.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Have you guys ever tried boarding a plane with a portable? If your wiring was clean it might pass but some of the messy one probably look a bit suspicious.
I have ALWAYS wondered this. I wouldn't be willing to bet a portable on it, but I imagine a really really clean one would probably pass. I mean we're talking like all pcb, no wires kind of clean. Anything average they probably wouldn't allow, but you never know. My mom got on a plane with mace in her purse once. And knives sometimes. On the other hand, my brother got delayed for like an hour being interrogated because they detected some chemical from his chemistry class lab.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Madmorda @Toaster912 I believe the 1.15v solder pad is still there. You may be able to salvage the board.

@Lollipop
1: None, if you use a GC+. You probably shouldn't be using 3ds sliders without a GC+. Older guides and worklogs did, but that was before it existed
2: I wouldn't, but if you do I would declare it beforehand and show the internals.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Quick question for you guys, is 0.785v too low for the 1V line under load?
Yes. The lowest I have ever been able to boot a wii off of is .87. Check to see how much voltage drop you have over your wires, that could be a cause.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Have you guys ever tried boarding a plane with a portable? If your wiring was clean it might pass but some of the messy one probably look a bit suspicious.
I have ALWAYS wondered this. I wouldn't be willing to bet a portable on it, but I imagine a really really clean one would probably pass. I mean we're talking like all pcb, no wires kind of clean. Anything average they probably wouldn't allow, but you never know. My mom got on a plane with mace in her purse once. And knives sometimes. On the other hand, my brother got delayed for like an hour being interrogated because they detected some chemical from his chemistry class lab.
NEVER bring a portable on a plane (neither carry on nor checked luggage) unless you did all FFCs, custom PCBs, and you used flat cells. If you have wires, round cells, etc, the TSA will at best just confiscate the portable, and at worst arrest and hold you for interrogation as to why you are bringing a home built bomb on the plane. Mail it ahead of time to your destination, or leave it at home.

Note: I don't have personal experience, but I've read posts of confiscated portables, and one guy being pulled into an interrogation room. I've also done some research to see what all you would have to do to have your device look legit under their scanners. Basically, it has to be a professional (looking) device, or it's getting taken :P

tomato

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm using an untrimmed wii and I was wondering if desoldering the memory card port would affect anything on my board (booting up wise), or desoldering any of the ports in general would affect anything. Thanks :blush:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm using an untrimmed wii and I was wondering if desoldering the memory card port would affect anything on my board (booting up wise), or desoldering any of the ports in general would affect anything. Thanks :blush:
Nope. The ports are simply soldered into through holes so removing them doesn't change anything. However, it is pretty difficult to desolder those ports without a temperature controlled heat gun. Personally I desoldered as much as I could then pried them off with plyers (for my gamecube anyway).

tomato

Yeah, AA cells can't put out a whole ton of power for long. What you could do is add a switch to swap between a battery and a power plug, turn it on plugged in, flip the switch and impress your classmates :P
If you do go that route, make sure to put a cap on the 12v in so it doesn't shut down while you are swapping the power source.
Hope it works and you do well!
Thanks cheese!! I ended up just using wall power anyways since it gave me more space to put my controller with ease. I think it turned out decent considering this was my first working "portable" that I was able to scrap by in two days :blush:

Will definitely come back to this and make a real portable :D

Attachments

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thanks cheese!! I ended up just using wall power anyways since it gave me more space to put my controller with ease. I think it turned out decent considering this was my first working "portable" that I was able to scrap by in two days :blush:

Will definitely come back to this and make a real portable :D
Despite being a quite simple casework this actually came out very nice and clean! :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@tomato those cuts are super clean. How did you do that? The corners are so square.

Hi guys, I was wondering how you guys desolder the NAND chip. I was going to try hot air tomorrow but just wanted to see what you guys do

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi guys, I was wondering how you guys desolder the NAND chip. I was going to try hot air tomorrow but just wanted to see what you guys do
Desolder the NAND? Are you trying the LMAOv2 trim?

kjc35

Have any of you guys used one of these PAM 8803s? Tried hooking it up today and no audio, wasn't sure if there was some trick to get it going or whatnot. I had 5.02V going to it and the audio lines were coming from the two points in the trimming guide.
IMG_5040.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.