Question Help, PortablizeMii wont run GC+V1.1 Config?

Hello! BitBuilt community!

(Suprised this site is still as busy as ever, given that you can...switch lolz:awesome:)
__Anyway, i need the power of the community to help bring my 2nd portable to life! lol

soooo, i decided to build another portable because, well my first portable was... a frankin case. The screen ran in 360p; (which after buying a wii converter off amazon (#Link lol: https://www.amazon.com/Wiistar-Conv...1491883192&sr=8-6&keywords=wii+hdmi+converter ) i knew that i couldn't settle for 360p lol). And the Battery life was around 1hr and 40 minutes. Apart from all those, the main exhuast was on the left hand side... which made your hand fall asleep lol.
I should propably ask my question before people loose intrest,,,

__Question__

After modding a new/used wii of ebay, i decided to use PortablizeMii. Becuase the last wii of mine had other mods not allowing it to work with 3DS sliders. And i downloaded PortablizeMii (drooled a little in it's aww), and then downloaded the GC+V1.1, and the Wii config file. I extracted both of them to the root of my USB; powered up the BEAST and... the files weren't there:'(

I've thought of switching(lol) the 3DS sliders out for normal gamecube sticks. But this would make my portable have front nubs, which i don't want, (want to give it a case like the switch:))

Any ideas about why this might be happening and how to fix it would be much appreciated
Thanks for your time, and will be posting photos of project later, to help bring attention to my thread lol

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You didn't mention whether or not you were using an official GC controller or a GC+. GC+V1.1 is only for updating the GC+.

Here's how to update GC+v1 to v1.1
1. Create a folder inside of the "apps" folder. Name it "Controller Config" or something.
2. Put controllerconfig.dol inside of folder.
3. Rename .dol file to boot.dol
4. Put GC+update.bin on root of usb
5. Load controller config app on wii portable
6. Click "update GC+"

Yes; i'm using a GC+ board becuase i support this website; (but mostly because i broke like 3 different controls trying to make my first portable lol)

But thank you for the instructions Gman

ik I haven't posted anything in awhile . I've been busy with school. And I've just been trying to finish my portable lol.

Big thanks to Gman for the info; finally got my 3ds sliders to work. And I was rushing to finish my portable; but I ran into another problem lol. Everything is working great; portablizemii is amazing great work on the software!

However, I've been running smash bros melee to test how hot my portable gets. And I've cut up several heat sinks to try and properly cool my Wii; I've also been using a computer fan for cooling. Yet after about 5 minutes of my Wii playing smash bros (when both pieces of my portable are together), my portable over heats and turns off:facepalm:

So my question is if I use custom regulators the operating voltage is lower making less heat right? And how many regs do I need?
Or is there another/better way of cooling the Wii? Any recommendations are appreciated, because this is the last problem of mine before painting it and putting it together.

tyE

ik I haven't posted anything in awhile . I've been busy with school. And I've just been trying to finish my portable lol.

Big thanks to Gman for the info; finally got my 3ds sliders to work. And I was rushing to finish my portable; but I ran into another problem lol. Everything is working great; portablizemii is amazing great work on the software!

However, I've been running smash bros melee to test how hot my portable gets. And I've cut up several heat sinks to try and properly cool my Wii; I've also been using a computer fan for cooling. Yet after about 5 minutes of my Wii playing smash bros (when both pieces of my portable are together), my portable over heats and turns off:facepalm:

So my question is if I use custom regulators the operating voltage is lower making less heat right? And how many regs do I need?
Or is there another/better way of cooling the Wii? Any recommendations are appreciated, because this is the last problem of mine before painting it and putting it together.
you will need 4 custom regulators. one for 1v 1.15v 3.3v and 5v(if you use usb or runble feature in controller) . also, if you use custom regulators you need to remove the onboard regulators, which all of them are removed if you did the WTFOMG cut .https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/ heres the link to learn what u need to do.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables

Does your case have ventilation holes and did you use arctic silver on your heatsinks? Pics would be helpful :)

Sorry, here are the photos. I'm wondering if it's my wii; because my first portable had a smaller heat sink and nvr over heated?
20170504_064232.jpg
20170504_064044.jpg
20170504_064232.jpg
20170504_064044.jpg
20170504_064057.jpg
20170504_064123.jpg
20170504_064202.jpg

I had a computer heatsink on my portable that i cut. But even with that it still seems to overheat. So if i use the custom regulators the wii will generate less heat right?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That sink doesn't appear to have good airflow, and you took the plastic guide off the blower so it's not working at 100% either. You'll probably need a new setup for that. You'll also want to rethink the air vent placement.

I have also tried using a Gamecube heatsink/cut. And an original wii heatsink/cut again lol. Yet none of these seem to last longer than 3 minutes before overheating; when my wii is closed up.

Do different wiis overheat faster than other wiis? Because my first portable had an original heat sink and become very hot inside lol; without overheating. And my current wii, running portablizemii; seems to overheat when it's only warm?

Should i buy... Another wii:blush:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
My wii doesn't even have a heatsink on it right now and I'm pretty sure it can go longer than 3 minutes. I would check that you put arctic silver on right, that your heatsink is making good contact with the entirety of both chips, and that you have decent airflow. Also make sure that it is an overheating problem. When I was testing out heating once on my gcp, my battery was low on power so it kept turning off after a couple minutes. If I waited a minute or two, it would come back on for a couple minutes. I thought it was overheating until I realized that it was just my battery. Just make sure it's not something like that :)

Yeah I've edited my wii connections to their basics; and i have been powering my wii off a 12v ac to dc adapter. So no problem with power. And with no luck on trying to sufficiently cool my wii; i think i wii have to purchase another wii... My 3rd lol.

I just think that this wii seems to run hotter than my last wii; so hopefully a different wii will run cooler... But at this point not sure what my other options are?
And then i would be converting my current wii into a home console or something lol

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Does it overheat when it's not inside your case?

Sigh yes; unless I have a large 12v fan on top of the heatsink... Which i can't put into my portable lol.

Yet, my last portable used an original wii heatsink; and a 5v computer fan with no directional air flow to the heatsink. And it's ventilation wasn't the best. And it still ran for 1hr and 1/2; without overheating. So have no idea as to why this current wii is over heating.:facepalm:

Does anyone's wii get hot enough to the point where they can feel heat inside their handheld? Emitting through the case and not just the exhaust?

At least that would happen with my previous handheld. Which makes me think my current wii is some how faulty?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
In those pictures you are using a 6 layer Wii, maybe before this one you were using a 4 layer one (which draws less power), so maybe that's why this one heats up more.
Anyway as Stitches said, you removed the cover from that fan, so the air flow is not optimal (it basically just moves the air next to the it in a sort of vortex way, without pushing it towards the heatsink). Also the heatsink in that orientation blocks any air flow moving towards it

In those pictures you are using a 6 layer Wii, maybe before this one you were using a 4 layer one (which draws less power), so maybe that's why this one heats up more.
Anyway as Stitches said, you removed the cover from that fan, so the air flow is not optimal (it basically just moves the air next to the it in a sort of vortex way, without pushing it towards the heatsink). Also the heatsink in that orientation blocks any air flow moving towards it
How would i go about determining the difference between a 6 layer, and 4 layer?
Also you said a 4 layer draws less power? So wouldn't the OMGWTF trim with custom regs draw less power? And create less heat lol?

Also i have tried using a flat piece of plastic to give the fan a direction to flow. Tried using it for all three heatsinks i have... With no success.
Has anyone tried using a copper heatsink as opposed to a aluminum one?
My thoughts are, copper is much better at dispersing heat?
But they are more expensive

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
How would i go about determining the difference between a 6 layer, and 4 layer?
Also you said a 4 layer draws less power? So wouldn't the OMGWTF trim with custom regs draw less power? And create less heat lol?
Read through the trimming guide and the links in it. There's a lot of info on there that will answer most of your questions. 4 layer wiis consume less power than 6 layer boards, regardless of the regs. It has nothing to do with the trim, they're just designed more efficiently. So a 4 layer untrimmed wii gives off less heat than a 6 layer. A trimmed 4 layer also gives off less heat than a 6 layer.

Also, please read through the rules. Double posting like that sends everyone watching this thread two emails. :)

As to copper vs aluminum, googling that will give you a better understanding of it. The gist of it is that there is a slight difference in how they cool, but the difference in efficiency is negligible.