Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I've been going through all 53 pages of this noob thread (which made me feel smart sometimes) and I came across this post from Cheese:
Do know, if you are using the PTH08080s on the wii, technically the maximum input voltage for the 1.0v line is 10v.
I hadn't realized this and was planning on using 4 Li-Ion batteries to make a 14.8v pack. Will this really be an issue? I'm asking because I tested my 1v regulator off of a 12v power supply and had no issues with it, but figured it would be better to settle this now rather than later.

Also, with the dremel tip, the "cutting" tool my dad had was actually more of a drill bit. So I'm going to check with my Projects teacher at school on Tuesday, because I'm pretty sure we actually have a few cutting tools there.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I hadn't realized this and was planning on using 4 Li-Ion batteries to make a 14.8v pack. Will this really be an issue? I'm asking because I tested my 1v regulator off of a 12v power supply and had no issues with it, but figured it would be better to settle this now rather than later.
It should be fine, but if you bring the voltage too high you can have issues.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've been thinking I want to have AV out on my wiip and I've been mulling over the best way (in my case) to go about it.

I was thinking of getting this kind of cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380856213310

And this kind of jack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321655994219

The idea would be that I could have composite and stereo audio through one small jack. The only issue I see would be that it's not a switching jack, so I would need to add a switch to go between onboard screen and external tv.

As far as I know, you can't put two screens in parallel right? So I would need to disconnect the video going to the built in LCD somehow to avoid causing issues. I'd like to do this using one switch and want to know if just cutting power to the screen and audio amp would accomplish this. Anybody see an issue with my logic there?

I'd also like your thoughts on that 4 pin jack setup. My thinking was that it's a generic cable so it could be replaced easily if lost, and the jack is small and can't be confused with any other port I'm using.

EDIT: Quality control aside.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I've been thinking I want to have AV out on my wiip and I've been mulling over the best way (in my case) to go about it.

I was thinking of getting this kind of cable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380856213310

And this kind of jack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321655994219

The idea would be that I could have composite and stereo audio through one small jack. The only issue I see would be that it's not a switching jack, so I would need to add a switch to go between onboard screen and external tv.

As far as I know, you can't put two screens in parallel right? So I would need to disconnect the video going to the built in LCD somehow to avoid causing issues. I'd like to do this using one switch and want to know if just cutting power to the screen and audio amp would accomplish this. Anybody see an issue with my logic there?

I'd also like your thoughts on that 4 pin jack setup. My thinking was that it's a generic cable so it could be replaced easily if lost, and the jack is small and can't be confused with any other port I'm using.

EDIT: Quality control aside.
I suppose the "right" way to do it would be to use some sort of video amp for the av out but I've never had any issues just piggy backing the video to the av out. There might be a slight signal degradation but it should be fine as long as you aren't driving like 3 or more inputs.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I suppose the "right" way to do it would be to use some sort of video amp for the av out but I've never had any issues just piggy backing the video to the av out. There might be a slight signal degradation but it should be fine as long as you aren't driving like 3 or more inputs.
What do you mean by driving 3 or more inputs?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
What do you mean by driving 3 or more inputs?
If you're familiar with live streaming, a lot of people use "splitters" or a cable that takes composite input and divides the output to two different sets of composite signal so that the input can go to the pc (stream) and the tv (for people to play on). When you divide a signal like that, the signal gets degraded as you're driving two inputs, the tv, and what's displayed on the stream.

This is essentially what you're doing when having AV out. You're driving the composite signal to your internal screen, and the external tv. Like Gman said, it should be acceptable to do this. The signal would probably look bad driving 3 inputs if you were to say use a splitter to livestream what's on your portable as you would have an input going to the internal screen, the external tv, and what's displayed on the stream.

The idea I was toying with for my portable (as I am also going to have AV out) is having a switch which kills power to your screen so when you choose to use the AV out, the signal doesn't reach your screen. Not sure if that would work though.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
The idea I was toying with for my portable (as I am also going to have AV out) is having a switch which kills power to your screen so when you choose to use the AV out, the signal doesn't reach your screen. Not sure if that would work though.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing to save on battery, but if I can get away without the switch, I might go that route.
Thanks for clearing it up :) I'll play with it some and see what I get.

Edit:
So, if I wanted component output to a tv, but composite on my built in screen, I could just have a switch that connects pin 8 to 3.3v to enable the component output, and composite would be cut off, correct?

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing to save on battery, but if I can get away without the switch, I might go that route.
Thanks for clearing it up :) I'll play with it some and see what I get.

Edit:
So, if I wanted component output to a tv, but composite on my built in screen, I could just have a switch that connects pin 8 to 3.3v to enable the component output, and composite would be cut off, correct?
According to this document you can still use composite in component mode so I'm not sure.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
On the trimming guide, do pins 2 and 3 correspond with USB port 0? Or is it 6 and 7?

Also any help with my U10 on a six layer board?

Thanks!

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
So I was desoldering some of the useless (for me at least) parts of my video board and found this:
20170424_213027-1.jpg

Is it component video? Because if so, I will be a happy boy, because component is higher quality than composite, correct?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I think my other question got overlooked. Can I solder the slider somewhere other than the ribbon cable? @JacksonS had a picture of his internals, and it looks like he accessed considerably larger pads to work with. Here's the pic.

What's the best way to get to those pads?
20170427_190340-1-1.jpg

JacksonS

Portables
The newer 3DS joysticks do have thru-holes so that you can access the pads from the back. For the old ones, you can peel off the ribbon cable and solder to the large rectangular pads underneath. You may want to put your iron on top of the cable while you're peeling it off so the solder melts underneath.

Nick

Is there a way to run multiple (2 or 3) wiis off of one USB thumb drive that has the portablizemii files on it? Don't really want to buy multiple USBs if I don't have to.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Is there a way to run multiple (2 or 3) wiis off of one USB thumb drive that has the portablizemii files on it? Don't really want to buy multiple USBs if I don't have to.
I mean you could move the drive from wii to wii and it should work fine, but you could only use one at a time

tyE

So did you guys order single resistors with values close to what you needed for your regulators ? Or did you wire multiple together .

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
So did you guys order single resistors with values close to what you needed for your regulators ? Or did you wire multiple together .
It's always better to use single resistor and with the best tolerance (1% or less) in order to stay in a range close to the nominal value and also to keep the setup as clean as possible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.