Question Soldering to the PCB on Classic Controller, soldering question

Wulf

I've been dabbling at this for a while now. I've got a Classic Controller split in half, and I'm attempting to bridge the gap for each connection by scraping off the green stuff and soldering to the PCB.

A trained eye could probably even look at each connection and tell the order I did them in based on how terrible I was to start, and how slightly less terrible I am now.

Just when I think I'm getting the hang of this, a new hiccup appears.

My goddamn solder will no longer coat my goddamn iron.

It just balls up and won't stick to the surface. If I try to solder anyway, it wicks the solder away from the connection to the top of the iron.

I've recently replaced my overly-large iron with a pencil-tipped one, I've replaced my overly-thick solder with some appropriately thin stuff, and I've replaced my overly-heavy wire with some properly flexible stuff.

So, what's likely to be going on here?

Shitty iron tip? Shitty solder? Shitty solder-wielder? Angered elder god?

Wulf

Huh.

I knew that was a possibility, but my old clunker of an iron is still on its original tip after putting up with all of my abuse so I didn't expect it to be an issue this soon after getting a new one.

Thanks.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Huh.

I knew that was a possibility, but my old clunker of an iron is still on its original tip after putting up with all of my abuse so I didn't expect it to be an issue this soon after getting a new one.

Thanks.
In this case it may simply be that the tip you bought is cheap and has a bad coating