Worklog The Next Wii

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
A cheesy name I know, and not just cause of cheese installer, but it is finally time for me to put out my worklog for The Next Wii portable. I have a few plans for this project starting out in baby steps. The mobo pictured is a Rev-01, but in the final product will be a Rev-40 trimmed and you know the such. More features below:
  • 4x 18650 in a 7.4v @ 6800 mAh configuration
  • Custom regulator boards
  • Hopefully an @Aurelio audio amp
  • Built-in controls
  • Bluetooth kept for Wii goodness
  • Plain old ZN-40 case
  • 16 GB built-in drive with external accessibility
  • Dock to hold up the unit while in Wii mode
  • Possibly wifi...
Anyway some pics of progress:
DSCF0346.JPG

Messy wiring I know, it will be cleaned up soon:
DSCF0347.JPG

Where are you planning on putting the batteries?
Also did you use a third party Controller, or an original one?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Where are you planning on putting the batteries?
Also did you use a third party Controller, or an original one?
That board is definitely third party. Official ones have more components, no epoxy on the chip, and are coated in an annoying layer of white obfuscating bullshit.

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
Yeah it 3rd party, this thing is so weird though, if you look at the bottom picture where the 1st Gamecube port you will notice that black is hooked up to 3.3 and yellow is hooked up to GND. At first, the Wii didn't recognize the Gamecube controller and I was like WTF. This is when I had yellow to 3.3 and black to GND. That glop top got so hot, but it survived!

Anyway, The Next Step is to find out trigger placements... yeah yeah. I should have planned it but it's not like there isn't room, there is plenty. More updates soon.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah it 3rd party, this thing is so weird though, if you look at the bottom picture where the 1st Gamecube port you will notice that black is hooked up to 3.3 and yellow is hooked up to GND. At first, the Wii didn't recognize the Gamecube controller and I was like WTF. This is when I had yellow to 3.3 and black to GND. That glop top got so hot, but it survived!

Anyway, The Next Step is to find out trigger placements... yeah yeah. I should have planned it but it's not like there isn't room, there is plenty. More updates soon.
Yeah these third party controllers aren't consistent at all. I've had some that don't work because 5v was going to ground, 3.3v was going to rumble, ground wasn't even connected and the dataline was going into one of the unused points.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Is the fan upside down?
Anyway I'm not sure about the audio amp yet. There are few software issues to fix first

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
I know the fan looks like it is upside down but there is plenty of clearance from the intake to the blower, it's an old PS2 fan. As for the front of the case, I have a bit more work to do before I wanna show it. Which reminds me...

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun
This project is on hold until I finish the second portable I'm working on is finished. I still have the case and all but I'm thinking I'll have to change the batteries and possibly completely rip out the old GC Controller from the front of the case.