Discussion Ben does it again

Noah

retired
Portables
> PS1 Screen
> No RAM swapping

> SOLDERING TO THE ORIGINAL POWER VIAS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Man, he is really out of touch with the scene. Nice to see him use methods like RAMBUS slot bending though. I don't even remember when that one came about. I'll have to watch the rest of the video later when I get back from class.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
> PS1 Screen
Yeah I squirmed a little when I saw that. I skimmed through the video while at work with the sound off, but it looks like he won't be doing any board trimming. That will make for a hefty portable, not that I'm one to talk.

Basically this vid he (spoilers)
  • Uses PS1 screen
  • Fucked up the first board desoldering the n64 expansion connector
  • Folds n64 expansion pack ram over
  • Battery Power (14:25) - 4 batteries. 2 sets of 2 in series.

Interesting video, seemed that some of the techniques seemed pretty crude, but idk.

Making a "small" N64 portable is not going to happend with that screen and seemingly no boardcut ?

Luke

Portables
Makes me giggle when I turn my car on, and I think back to this guide and the part where it talks about how dumb the ds is for giving safety warnings before each use and how ridiculous it would be if cars had a warning pop up before each use.

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Ben's portable is a little disappointing. I feel like its a missed opportunity to showcase Marshallh's UltraVGA. I'm sure the video was shot and the portable finished long before Marshallh announced the UltraVGA. When this video hit my YouTube subscription feed I immediately thought: What if Ben has an early prototype of Marshallh's UltraVGA and this is going to be how its unveiled? Instead we get Ben telling us how common and affordable the PSOne Screen is. And how the N64 needs to be ran off of 12 volts.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Yeah, while it is disappointing, I understand why he's doing it. He knows a tiny bit, and he has a limited amount of time to put into each episode. He has to research, design, shoot/create, finish and test the project all within a few days to give time for his editor (forgot his name :P) to edit, render, and upload the video on time each week. If it's faster to put together a 12v boost circuit and a PS1 screen that "works" rather than put the research in to make it work better.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Not only that, but I think we've set our standards for Ben way too high when he's all but dropped out of the scene years ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong; I don't really follow Ben.) Just because he gave this hobby the kickstart it needed doesn't mean his techniques are on the cutting edge. Had he stuck to portablizing then I think they would be, just like how the brains of BitBuilt have become the kings of the Wii. (Oh crap! Did I just get something on my nose?)

I've decided to cut the man some slack. He's doing what he knows and the best way he knows how. And I'll second cheese in that he may just be doing things this way in the interest of time.

Edit: Embedding part 2 of Ben's build for posterity.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I've typed and deleted like 10 different messages here, but none of them have been able to convey the disappointment this video makes me feel.