Question Is it possible to use the wii mini drive on a normal wii?

Hfrox

I was wondering if it is possible to use the wii mini disc drive on a normal wii. Thanks in advance.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Potentially (with some manual wiring), but nobody has publicly posted the pinout of the wii mini disc drive, and rewiring would take more time than it would really be worth... You could always modify the mechanisms of the regular drive to work in the same way as the wii mini drive.

cheese

Staff member
Might I ask why you are trying to put a wii into a wii mini? More curious than anything...

It looks like they took the drive board of a normal Wii disc drive and hooked it up to the Mini drive, but that wouldn't work because it would never detect a disc in the drive, and would always try to eject or pull in a disc into it's nonexistent slot. That modchip looks like one of the ones that lets you play burned dvd games.

Hfrox

i just think it would be cool to have a modded wii with a toploading disc drive. if i could get this to work i would 3d print a custom case to house the motherboard and have a pretty cool custom wii.

cheese

Staff member
I don't have the Wii Mini @Shank sent me on hand, but I will say that the toploading drive doesn't support gamecube games (just in case you wanted to play those games). Getting this working might require either tracing out the drive's pins, or some kind of hack on the original board (and then swap it in place of the toploading drive's board).

Gotta do the mandatory plug for portablizemii that removes the need for disc drives altogether :P

Hfrox

Thanks for your help and by the way i love poriablizemii. As for my project ill put it on hold. i wlild try to map out the pins. who knows i might just make a "Wii Slim" where i strip down the wii using poriablizemii. again thanks for your help

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I think it would support GC games with that other motherboard.

vv32

Sorry if I'm digging up a dead thread but the Wii mini laser module and the dvd motor fit perfectly into a disk drive board of a 4-layered wii. Actually, the wii mini and the newer wiis use the exact same components for the dvd drive. I've tested it and it works perfectly!