Recent content by Tschicki

1. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Thanks! The PS2 was my first console, so I will also always have a soft spot for it! I've been modding mine already as a kid 20 years ago, so it's really fun to do something more serious with it now :) Also thanks for the infos regarding the CS, it's quite hard to find information like that...
  2. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

I appreciate the suggestion, but I decided not to rely on GSM for the same reason I decided to make miniature memory cards instead of using on virtual memory cards - it's not a plug and play solution and needs settings adjustments per game to get things working (and PAL games in general are...
  3. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Update time! Sorry, I completely forgot to post updates! (again…) Ever since the last update I’ve been working on FPGA stuff to get the video output of my mainboard up and running and I guess I’m slowly getting there. After the little experiments with my DPI LCD I know more or less what to...
  4. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

GTA Virtual Boy Edition! I had a couple hours to play with the FPGA and I think I've managed to get the proof of concept working! [Attached] are some measurements I did on the PS2 video output, they can be opened with DSView 1.3. The first capture shows the OPL menu with all pixel data in PAL...
  5. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Thanks! I actually don't have a recording of the signals right now, so this will be a good starting point! CLK, HS and VS should be enough to start defining the general timings, soon I will also need to identify the front/back porch and/or find a data EN signal to properly read the pixel data. A...
  6. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Small update! The video processor is showing the first signs of life! Last week I got the interface board assembled and in the last 2 days I had some time to give it a first try. I managed to create a little project for testing the DPI timings, it's just displaying a static image. The...
  7. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Time for a small update! I spent the last month mainly on integrating all circuits I made so far and working out how to best implement the video processor. Let's start with the system integration... My old modular setup with all the interconnects and hand-soldered wiring was starting to...
  8. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Thanks for the confirmation! The Retroid analog sticks look interesting too, I've ordered a set for comparison. They should even fit my prototye, assuming everything but the caps is identical to the switch sticks. For now both seem to have pros and cons. I feel like I prefer the...
  9. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Update time! This time there is not as much progress as I was on vacation, but I'm pretty happy with the things I was able to achieve: Mainboard: I'm slowly preparing for the next mainboard revision and for that I needed some reballing stencils for the EE, GS and Mechacon. Last time I had to...
  10. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Update time! MAX17320 fuel gauge & protector: I received the PCB I designed around the MAX17320 and got one populated. The basic driver for it is up and running, it’s essential function right now is to get the battery properties: SOC, remaining capacity, cell and pack voltage, battery...
  11. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

I really appreciate the idea of replacing the BCM5241 with something else to get wifi, but I don't think I have the time and knowledge to implement something like that. The vocore sounds interesting too, but I would only use it for SMB loading. It's already decided that I use the MX4SIO, but I...
  12. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Update time! It’s been quite a while since the last update, but I’ve been busy working on the project! There was quite some progress on a couple of topics. Battery and charge management: The board was designed and ordered in April, but it took 3 weeks to arrive. It’s not my finest layout...
  13. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Thank you, that is some very valuable input! THIS is exactly why I like this website so much and why I decided to post my progress! I really appreciate that people have a critical look at the stuff I'm doing and point out the things to improve by contributing their experiencees and knowledge...
  14. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

Please make sure to double-check that USB works at 5.3V input. The 4.5V you're measuring is without load I assume, when you connect some load to the USB port (eg. USB stick) I would expect that voltage to drop significantly. Yes, my 2008 EE is probably not the best one to compare, at least...
  15. Tschicki

Worklog Some PS2 Project

That's some nice runtime boost, thanks for sharing! For the BIOS: You can swap the BIOS chip between the 79k and 90k consoles, as @mixa232323 already mentioned. I verified that it works both ways (even though I don't know why you would put a 90k BIOS on a 79k console...). It doesn't seem like...