Recent content by Lab Minion

1. Question Battery Charge Management Output Current Question

I am using this "one port play and charge with CMB" board as instructed by this BitBuilt Guide. It works fine in my N64 portable prototype 1 (not stress tested though). As I move into a prototype 2, my concern is that the BCM module referenced above is rated at 3A max. Since the N64 is rated at...
  2. Question CMB LED Output current?

This is the CMB I'm using (see pic)? I want to use the LED output option (see black circle on pic) on the board to run LEDs up to the faceplate to indicate charging status. Easy enough, but I cannot find any specs on the output current to determine the LED requirements and if I need resistors or...
  3. Question Recommended Power Switch & Bypass

Here's how I shorted the power switch after removal (see attached). Works fine so far. I used 22G solid core wire to short the poles. Alternatively (if you don't want to desolder), you could have cut off the metal housing on the switch, tossed the plastic lever, then soldered the coper slides...
  4. Question Recommended Power Switch & Bypass

I'm at the point of installing a master power switch for the portable. I was wondering what is recommend for a switch and whether it's ok to bypass/short the N64's power switch. I've attached an abstract of my current power routing plan. I am currently using a SPST toggle switch and just leave...
  5. Question Battery Low Indicator?

Thank you both! I tried out the circuit and calibrated R4 for 7.0V and it works nicely.
  6. Question Battery Low Indicator?

I've got my N64 portable running on the bench with batteries now. I'm using this BMS (CX-74-2S): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent...2S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite/311721987212 . It doesn't have a gas gauge nor battery low indicator from what I can tell. I prefer not to use one of those...
  7. Question How are you handling audio?

I've been searching for a new, off-the-shelf solution to my N64 portable audio needs and have come up short. Ideally I would think we'd want an amplifier board that can do all the following: Drive external speakers (4-8 Ohm, 1-1.5W perhaps). Has built-in headphone jack. Headphone jack drops...
  8. Question Audio Amplifier for speakers and headphones?

Thank you for the reply! I was building a diagram for you to review and figured out that I reversed the R-channel legs on the headphone switch. Sigh... It works now, but 3W is too powerful/loud. Does anyone have a better amp that hovers around the 1-2W range for a speaker+headphone application...
  9. Question Audio Amplifier for speakers and headphones?

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it! I will consider that if I can't seem to sort out a pre-built, off the shelf amp. After some experimentation I did get three different amp boards working with both speakers and headphones (PAM8403, LM4853, and a TDA2822M). But, my headphone shielding is...
  10. Question Audio Amplifier for speakers and headphones?

I'm working on the audio amplifier for my portable N64. Currently, I'm experimenting with this PAM8403, and have made it drive some 8 Ohm speakers I had laying around. I would like to integrate a headphone jack that disconnects the speakers when plugged in. I am experimenting with this headphone...
  11. Question Recommended 7-inch LCD for N64 Portable?

I have a proof-of-concept running using a 5-inch ZJ050NA-08C based on suggestions here. Display looks great! It would be nice to have a slightly larger display. Is there a 7-inch (or close) display that looks as good as the ZJ050NA-08C on the N64? I see these two options in the BOM, opinions...
  12. Question Power suggestion for the 5” ZJ050NA-08C?

Thank you for all the advice! The display+control board is on order so I can't provide a closeup at the moment. I attached the largest pic I could find of the board for now. I certainly will try the bench test to see how low it will go when it comes in. Here's my power and video parts I'm...
  13. Question Power suggestion for the 5” ZJ050NA-08C?

I’m building an N64 portable and have been researching/collecting parts for the build based on the BOM and various threads posted here. For video, I’ve settled on the 5” ZJ050NA-08C using the KYV-N2 V6 driver board. Before I order the display I wanted to confirm it will work with my power plan...
  14. BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Hello! Greatly appreciate the depth of knowledge, activity, and intelligence of the community here. Excited to learn and build from you all.