Recent content by blackcube

1. blackcube

Soldering check

Super clean!! Nice, shiny, and smooth!! Flux really is the "secret" to soldering. Just be aware that when you clean up with some IPA, it may dull the shine a bit. There's other solutions for cleaning the residual flux, but they tend to be more expensive than isopropyl alcohol. Even though no...
  2. blackcube

WARNING: DO NOT BUY FROM PORTAPACKIT!!!

I don't understand why someone would be okay with not securing the internals. Aside from being a potential electrical hazard, wouldn't one at least be concerned about impact damage from parts banging around against each other??? If there ever was a time to use hot glue...at the very least.
  3. blackcube

No output to composite in

Ordered another Wii, and just wanted to thank everyone for the input! Still have no clue what happened, but at some point, I might wire up WiFi and BT to see if it'll boot.
  4. blackcube

Soldering check

If it's already cut to the length it needs to be (and don't be afraid of leaving yourself a little slack), pull the wire back out from under the board, trim a couple mm of insulation and tin it. Then feed it back under the PMS and solder to the capacitor. Flux and load some solder to the...
  5. blackcube

Solved AVE Bridging

Plenty of flux, a clean iron, and drag the solder toward the tips of the pins. Clean the iron frequently and repeat. Keep applying flux and keep the iron moving with a sweeping motion. A wider chisel or flat edge of a J tip helps.
  6. blackcube

Soldering check

From what I could tell, none of your connections look bad. You could always use a drop of no clean and reflow any connections you're unsure about without additional solder, but it doesn't appear to be necessary. Give the connections a slight tug to make sure they're solid. My soldering station...
  7. blackcube

Soldering check

I've had great results stripping 20-30 AWG with these. Hakko also makes a great pair of flush cutters that I use for trimming the exposed conductor. Strip the wire, tin it with a little paste flux and solder, then use the flush cuts to shorten the tinned wire to about the size of the pad you're...
  8. blackcube

Update: Wired up VGA, as well as mode to 3.3V, and I'm still not getting a video signal. Changed source a couple times, but I can't even get the backlight to stay on (composite I at least had a backlight). Is it possible I need to relflow the NAND? It took a good deal of heat to remove LDO, so...
  9. blackcube

I didn't go through with this test based on what you mentioned, thanks for the heads up. I used the composite ground based on the guide, but I'll try another location. For composite, I tried the via you mentioned, but then relocated to the edge side pad at C91 on the other side of the board and...
  10. blackcube

Haha, thanks! I'll try that tomorrow, after seeing if I can get composite to output on another monitor. Much appreciated!
  11. blackcube

Would that require just switching the composite connection over to luma, leave everything else as is?
  12. blackcube

Thanks, it's good to rule that out. And I'll have to give output to another monitor a try. Here's the AVE. You can see the ground point for composite off to the left side. I'm currently pulling composite from the opposite side at C91.
  13. blackcube

Still no output after having redone the U10 connection. Voltages look good at both ends of the connection. Just out of curiosity, I had installed BBLoader before the trim with nowifi and VGA. I verified that 480p was enabled in the system settings. Would that make any difference in the post...
  14. blackcube

I'll give that a try tomorrow. I scrubbed the vias a little with a fiberglass pencil for the reset connections, but didn't think about doing that earlier when I made the U10 connection. Just want you to know that I really appreciate all your help.
  15. blackcube

Sure thing.