Recent content by Beans

1. Question Short to ground on 1.8 V line

Story time: I trimmed the board, relocated U10, and connected voltages to the board from the PMS. The board booted, to my delight. But then, disaster struck. I was considering removing the LDO to save some room in my case, and so I was probing with my multimeter to find where the 1.8 V output...
  2. Portable Thoughts

I'm in the process of building my first portable. Although it is a lot of work, I would argue none of the work is especially hard to comprehend. Making a Wii portable seems to be tread ground at this point. You don't need to figure too much out, just do it. To be honest, a very good chunk of the...
  3. Best way to protect delicate solder joints?

Hey y'all, I'm currently working on my Wii portable. There's several sensitive solder joints on the main Wii motherboard. These include AWG 38 magnet wire soldered to tiny AVE pins, as well as that *one* via that you can solder the U10 wire to. Anyone know how to make sure those wires never come...
  4. The Wiiboy Color

Oh God that is clean. Excellent craftsmanship and PCB designing Ginger. I hope to achieve this level of skill one day.
  5. Question A couple of questions from a newbie

Welcome! Q1. It's certainly possible to have 6 cells, but it's kind of impractical. The 18650 cells must people use are somewhat large and heavy, so *portability* can be a bit more difficult to achieve. You'd probably want a 2s3p configuration (2 cells in series to get ~7.4 V, and 3 parallel...
  6. Worklog The Grippii

Looks great man. I'm currently doing something similar, but using an Xbox 360 controller shell instead. Excited to see how yours turns out!
  7. Question don't currently have the funds to make a portable, but I should be able to soon, and I'd like to get an idea of what I'll need

Check out GMan's excellent N64 portable in a GBA SP-eque case. That design might help you.
  8. BBLoader v1.3 - beta

Unfortunately, while doing the soldering, the VSync pin came off my AVE :( Am I fucked in terms of this particular motherboard? I've already enabled the VGA patch in BBLoader and I don't think it's possible to undo that :/
  9. Question No VGA output on untrimmed Wii

Unfortunately I don't have another "thingy" (you mean a controller board). Other vga displays don't work either. :/ I've run out of troubleshooting ideas so far. I think I'll try the sync wiring once more. It'll kill my soul, but as Wesk said, I should at least be getting a black screen, not the...
  10. Question No VGA output on untrimmed Wii

@Wesk I redid the sync wiring, unfortunately still nothing :/ @Ginger I missed that! I added a conductor. Doesn't work though just yet, but thanks for that :) And I know it looks like Hsync is shorting to ground with that solder blob, but it's not.
  11. Question No VGA output on untrimmed Wii

Hi guys. Unfortunately I'm not getting any video out on my untrimmed Wii. I'm trying to do Aurelio's VGA mod. I enabled it in BBLoader already. I'm using AWG 38 magnet write for some of the lines due to having to solder to vias, and AWG 30 for soldering to pins. My Wii turns on all right...
  12. BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Just another post to say "hello". Excited to be a part of a really cool hobby community.