Question N64P Case Suggestions

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any case suggestions for a portable N64 that can fit a slightly trimmed mobo. I'll be using a 5" PS1 screen since that seems to be a great beginner screen (unless someone changes my mind before I order it :P ). I don't currently have a 3d printer, and am not really sure what to use, as it looks like a lot of people use custom cases.

Thanks in advance!

~NordFive

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The PS1 screen is outdated and not recommended to a beginner or quite honestly anyone. The car reverse monitors which can be found on ebay and amazon very cheap are much easier to use. They come in several sizes; 3.5", 4.3", 5", and 7".

Noah

retired
Portables
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any case suggestions for a portable N64 that can fit a slightly trimmed mobo. I'll be using a 5" PS1 screen since that seems to be a great beginner screen (unless someone changes my mind before I order it :P ). I don't currently have a 3d printer, and am not really sure what to use, as it looks like a lot of people use custom cases.

Thanks in advance!

~NordFive
Yeah, as Gman suggested get a screen off of eBay or Amazon. As a beginner the ZN-45 (or 40, whichever is the thicker one) from PolyCase is probably the safest bet. It's large enough to hold everything with ease and comfortable enough for solid gameplay.

Yeah, as Gman suggested get a screen off of eBay or Amazon. As a beginner the ZN-45 (or 40, whichever is the thicker one) from PolyCase is probably the safest bet. It's large enough to hold everything with ease and comfortable enough for solid gameplay.
Thanks! I'll check those out right now.

That should work. I'm pretty sure the ones advertised as 800x480 pixels are complete BS. I've seen some reviews of them saying it is not true. Either way, it's still a decent screen.
K, well seeing as it isn't too expensive I think I'll give it a try. I'll make a work log once I get everything going. Thanks a lot!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Heads up on the ebay/Amazon screens: over the years they have started making them cheaper and cheaper and some screens have an issue that affects the vertical hold. All of the 5" screens I've purchased so far have been problem-free, so you should be in good shape. But where I've run into trouble is with 3.5" (and possibly 4") screens when connected to 5th gen consoles (N64,PS1) and older. I bought a 3.5" screen a few years ago that I put into a SNES portable, but each of that size of screen I've bought since then won't play ball.

Keep in mind I've only gone with Amazon screens. Dalian/Good/Adafruit screens are built better and shouldn't cause any hassle.

Heads up on the ebay/Amazon screens: over the years they have started making them cheaper and cheaper and some screens have an issue that affects the vertical hold. All of the 5" screens I've purchased so far have been problem-free, so you should be in good shape. But where I've run into trouble is with 3.5" (and possibly 4") screens when connected to 5th gen consoles (N64,PS1) and older. I bought a 3.5" screen a few years ago that I put into a SNES portable, but each of that size of screen I've bought since then won't play ball.

Keep in mind I've only gone with Amazon screens. Dalian/Good/Adafruit screens are built better and shouldn't cause any hassle.
The screen I plan on buying is 5" so hopefully that means it's alright.

Portables
3/4
The PS1 screen is outdated and not recommended to a beginner or quite honestly anyone. The car reverse monitors which can be found on ebay and amazon very cheap are much easier to use. They come in several sizes; 3.5", 4.3", 5", and 7".
Coming from ModRetro and having the problem of of working off old information I can personally tell ya that the screens that Gman, (and everyone else) suggested are WAY better than the PSOne screen. I got half way through my GCp build with the PSOne screen when I got this info and ended up tearing out the PSOne screen and replacing it with one I found on eBay. The picture and viewing angles are SOOO much better... You won't regret it. I figure I will use the old PSOne screen I have here for my PS1 portable since the graphics weren't that great anyway.

Using a different screen does mean you will have to build a audio amp though... But that's not too hard. :)

The ZN-45 case from Polycase.com is thicker, a little bulky but not too bad IMO, (more room for batteries:P). I have two, one for a N64 portable and one for a PS2 portable. I don't know about the PS2 motherboard yet but I can tell say that an uncut N64 board will fit into that case with only slight modification. Basically just removing the A/V, Power and controller ports will pretty much let it slide right in. :)

Portables
3/4

This I can also agree with, although I've only gone with 5" screens some are more cheaply made than others. The only problem I've run into thus far, some had problems dealing with lower lower voltages. One ran fine off 8 volts, (as low as I've tested so far) while the other started getting static and some viewing issues at that voltage. I think it is the luck of the draw but the other screens @fibbef mentioned "Dalian/Good/Adafruit screens" are a lot better and personally worth the extra $10 or so. :)

P.S. Sorry for the multiple posts... Working from an older Android phone I use to play Clash of Clans so it can posting/editing can be a challenge, lol!!

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Just be warned that if you buy a screen off of amazon that you may have issues with the composite input. I bought a 5" screen and it doesn't like the signals coming from the N64. It will play audio but I just get a blank white screen. It works fine with other composite inputs, so sometimes the N64 can be a little finnicky. The best part about the backup camera screens is that they are pretty cheap. If you buy one and it doesn't work, you aren't out a ton of money.

Portables
3/4
The best part about the backup camera screens is that they are pretty cheap. If you buy one and it doesn't work, you aren't out a ton of money.
This is true. Or if it just doesn't work with that project you can always find a use for it somewhere... A bench test screen, another portable, etc. It's bound to come in handy somewhere. :)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
A bench test screen, another portable, etc.
Well, not if you need it to test another N64. :P

Like I said, 6th gen and newer I haven't had a single problem with even on the cheapest of screens. Clones like NOAC and Atari Flashback are no-go, but I've found that Raspberry Pi is fine, so that's one way to get retro games to work on cheap screens.

What about audio? I'm planning on a n6Np build soon and looks like the Amazon cameras are the way to go. But do they have any audio ?