3DS Screens

GC64

Portables
Has anyone ever tried using a 3DS screen for other purposes besides the 3DS? I'm curious about it's compatibility with other consoles. Could it display composite video for things like the n64 or gamecube, etc? I'm only asking because I realized it could play youtube videos and display clear pictures (things besides games). Idk much about screens and especially not the 3DS's.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Short answer is no. Unless you have the ability to reverse engineer the screen and make a custom fpga drive board for it, its not usable.

JacksonS

Portables
Datasheets for the screen aren't publicly available so it's not clear what kind of interface the screen uses. It may be similar to other generic LCDs on the market, but regardless, you'd need a custom driver like Shank said.

Portables
3/4
Agreed, possible but you'd have to have an oscilloscope and a VERY good knowledge of electronics to reverse engineer it from what I've seen. Besides, the time would take to do all that you could probably have ordered a really nice screen from China, have received it and built an entire portable. :)

Noah

retired
Portables
Agreed, possible but you'd have to have an oscilloscope and a VERY good knowledge of electronics to reverse engineer it from what I've seen. Besides, the time would take to do all that you could probably have ordered a really nice screen from China, have received it and built an entire portable. :)
Yeah, for an application such as this there is no point to put in the work required for creating a board that takes composite or VGA.

GC64

Portables
That's interesting. Well on the topic of screens, I have a couple 3.5 inch screens built for the raspberry pi that I've also been wondering if works for composite video or not (for things like n64 or gamecube). These things: http://www.ebay.com/itm/322368537178?hash=item4b0ea9825a:g:T4sAAOSw-0xYXaPg
If anyone knows anything about the raspberry pi's functions (I barely know anything about it) let me know. The screen is powered from the raspberry pi's port containing these pins:

JacksonS

Portables
I believe those screens don't have any sort of decoder to use digital HDMI or analog composite/RGB. Even if they do, they probably don't have a scaler because the Pi can produce the exact resolution you want, while a game console can't.