Worklog Noah's AG64 V2 - Commission for Crazy Inventor

Noah

retired
Portables
I've gotten far enough along with this to the point where I can start a worklog. Originally this was using a Lazerdoodle and PS1 screen but unfortunately the screen was causing issues. I got the go ahead to switch cases from the commissioner and so this project morphed into the AG64 V2.

Nothing too fancy as far as internals go, here's the basic rundown.
  • 4" Good Display with VGA in from GCVideo (assuming the display can handle 240i. I'll find out tomorrow!)
  • AG-85 Case, frankencased with Wii Classic controller buttons
  • Rev 8 N64 with jumper pak (no expansion pak was requested)
  • 1st party controller with 64CC
Here are some pictures:

More to come soon!

Noah

retired
Portables
Got the screen hole cut (need to finish it by taking a little more off the right hand side) and bondo'ed up the controls. The stuff on top now is glazing puddy which helps fill in the minor imperfections left by sanding down the bondo. Hopefully this will be my only layer!

Noah

retired
Portables

Since it was confirmed that GCVideo works on N64 (big thanks to @ShockSlayer,@Aurelio and @Herma) I am going to wire it up to the screen I will be using once I have it in my hands. The N64 outputs interlaced rather than progressive so I am not sure that the screen will accept the VGA signal. Unfortunately I don't have anything that would output 240i to test beforehand, so it will be a surprise for me tomorrow when the GCVideo is supposed to arrive lol.

I'll be using this unit as a template for future commissions. The AG-85 is big enough to make it easy to work with and allow for a larger display that accepts VGA for the best video quality you can get in a portable. The Wii Classic controller button scheme matched with black paint should make for a pretty uniform unit that will look very nice IMO. The case also allows for very large capacity batteries to be used in the unit for the longest battery life possible. I'll be using the cells Crazy Inventor sent me but larger ones can be swapped in later on if he's not happy with the battery life once it's finished.

Noah

retired
Portables
I was hoping to not need another layer but alas, there were too many small dips that needed filling.

The second layer is on now. Once it's dry (like an hour tops) I'll wet sand and shoot the case with a filler primer before heading to bed. If I'm lucky, I can just go straight from the primer to a little more wet sanding then right to paint tomorrow. We'll see!

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables

Those damned three buttons at the bottom are giving me some trouble as you can see. Other than that I am very happy with the way the case has turned out thus far. Tomorrow will probably be fixing those bottom buttons up and then drilling speaker holes.

Last edited:

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Since it was confirmed that GCVideo works on N64 (big thanks to @ShockSlayer,@Aurelio and @Herma)
Whoa I must have missed this. If the video quality is superb then I might have to make a build with this method. I always thought RGB/VGA output wasn't feasible in a handheld because it required the GBS8200 to up the RGB refresh rate from 15k to 31k VGA standard.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Whoa I must have missed this. If the video quality is superb then I might have to make a build with this method. I always thought RGB/VGA output wasn't feasible in a handheld because it required the GBS8200 to up the RGB refresh rate from 15k to 31k VGA standard.
Some screens can handle 15kHz even if it's not standard vga. The problem is that it's never specified so the only way to know if it works is to try it :D

Had to make an account over here just to say thank you again! It looks great and I really appreciate you finishing literally remaking this for me:D