What Operating System(s) is(are) your choice(s)?

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Which Operating Systems do you like, and why so?

I'm partial specifically to Windows XP primarily, and then I run Mint on my netbook.

XP I use for basic game emulation and Fruity Loops primarily.

While I use Mint on the go for web browsing and minor graphic work mostly.

Noah

retired
Portables
I normally run Arch Linux on most of my PCs. I like the idea of starting from a blank slate and adding only what I need/want for my ideal setup. Most distros are already pretty lightweight as it is, but I enjoy setting up Arch from "scratch" and find that it is easier to make the software work with the hardware by adding new packages rather than removing what is already there.

I usually will dual-boot with Windows, normally 7 or 10 for applications that don't work too well in Wine and for games that Steam doesn't have Linux compatibility for.

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, then 7 for life. I didn't like 8, I didn't like 8.1, I didn't like 10, and I especially didn't like Vista.

Reactions: E64
Hating Windows 10 right now.
I use it every day in work and every day I have more and more urges to drown kittens...

XP is the least worst Windows for me.

The girlfriend recently moved to linux mint, but before used plain ubuntu.
Mint seems nice and clean to me.

Acronell

Aquafam
Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, then 7 for life. I didn't like 8, I didn't like 8.1, I didn't like 10, and I especially didn't like Vista.
VistAids was despised by everyone I've known to have the misfortune of having it.

Honestly 8 made me think of Windows Mobile, and compatibility issues all around.

Hating Windows 10 right now.
I use it every day in work and every day I have more and more urges to drown kittens...

XP is the least worst Windows for me.

The girlfriend recently moved to linux mint, but before used plain ubuntu.
Mint seems nice and clean to me.
As far as I know XP is the most solid version of Windows.

And yes, Mint is pretty nice looking and fairly simple to use.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I experienced Vista secondhand; whenever my classmates would screw up their stuff or need help, they'd bring it to me. So when I was offered the chance to "upgrade," I vehemently declined.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on my laptop, all linux on everything else except my desktop (haven't gotten around to putting linux on it yet). I've played around with arch (it's pretty cool, have to admit), but haven't really had time to install it on a daily driver.

Acronell

Aquafam
Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on my laptop, all linux on everything else except my desktop (haven't gotten around to putting linux on it yet). I've played around with arch (it's pretty cool, have to admit), but haven't really had time to install it on a daily driver.
Hard to go wrong with Linux truly.

Oh people should check out Lakka, it's a Linux distro specifically built for Emulation Gaming.
It's the official distro of RetroArch if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Ampz

I just use Windows 10 really the GUI is pretty nice and I've rarely had issues with it, also what's so great about Linux if you guys don't mind me asking?

cheese

Staff member
I just use Windows 10 really the GUI is pretty nice and I've rarely had issues with it, also what's so great about Linux if you guys don't mind me asking?
It's kind of the same argument of iPhone vs Android, one you can do the basic stuff with but it hides the advanced and more complicated things away from the user (windows), and the other allows you to do basically anything (linux).

Herma

I don't mind Win10, but I prefer 7. 8 and 8.1 were rubbish.

As for a Linux distro I'm partial to Scientific Linux (a Red Hat based distro).

cheese

Staff member
If you're just starting out with Linux, I'd suggest something like Ubuntu or Fedora since they make it pretty easy to use, and they have lots of guides for almost anything (since they are pretty well known)

Ampz

Wine is basically a windows emulator that runs in realtime with your linux operating system, most versions of linux are pretty easy to set up Wine with.

Porteus is pretty solid if you're looking for a portable Linux OS, it's also modular.
Ah ok, thanks for the info really appreciate it :D