Worklog Retro Lite CM4 - A StonedEdge and Dmcke5 collaboration

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Last question (hopefully) when I go to print the pcb what are the settings I need from a online seller?
You just upload the zip file in the PCB section of the GitHub under the CAD directory (those labeled with Gerbers). No timeline on the build guide right now unfortunately as I’m quite busy but hopefully in the next month or so I’ll release it.

Just a curiosity question, where did you source the screen protectors? I am guessing off shore and bought a min quantity, but wanted to ask in case you know a resource I haven't come across.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Just a curiosity question, where did you source the screen protectors? I am guessing off shore and bought a min quantity, but wanted to ask in case you know a resource I haven't come across.
Yeah there is no resource really, the first ones were hand made from 3rd party switch lite screen protectors and painted, but I ended up buying samples from Retro Game Repair Shop (RGRS) for the final ones who had them custom made based on the specifications we provided.

Fair enough, thank you. I know I can go on alibaba and custom order a lot of 100-1000 of custom parts. Or I know some US suppliers that will do it, but for a bunch of money. Cool to see the resourcefulness that got yours made.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Hi all,

Life got a bit busy recently so I haven't been able to update as frequently as I would like, but the docking station is almost complete now after several bugs were squashed with the serial input routine handler loop! I'd say I'm about 60% of the way there.

A simple button toggles all of the metadata sent over to the end user. I have also integrated sleep mode now so that the display will sleep with inactivity after 1 min. The user can wake the dock by pressing the button or by doing any other command, like exiting a game or re-entering a different game, for example. This prevents OLED burn in (yeah, I know, pretty unlikely... but it never hurt to be cautious).

The remaining features include showing some play statistics such as most games played by times and duration, game description via hardware scrolling and other metadata + a small video of each game. Also shutting the dock down when the system is powered off should be relatively simple, too so that it doesn't hang when power is killed from the regulators.

Next post, hopefully in the cutting edge!

Last edited:

ubanov

I love this project. I want need one retro lite cm4... It have all that I need: big screen, very portable, and open with raspberry pi.

But... 900$ for 5 kits of mounted pcb... (what another user have said about Makerfabs)

And where and how could I ask the aluminum cover... may be I could try to print the std in a 3d printer as an alternative? (I prefer aluminum, but I don't know where to ask it).

And I haven't found the screen model. Where and how much is it?

I think it will be very difficult to build one of this :-(

Thanks in advance.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I love this project. I want need one retro lite cm4... It have all that I need: big screen, very portable, and open with raspberry pi.

But... 900$ for 5 kits of mounted pcb... (what another user have said about Makerfabs)

And where and how could I ask the aluminum cover... may be I could try to print the std in a 3d printer as an alternative? (I prefer aluminum, but I don't know where to ask it).

And I haven't found the screen model. Where and how much is it?

I think it will be very difficult to build one of this :-(

Thanks in advance.
Hi! None of these individual parts are for sale unfortunately as I’m not making kits & don’t plan to anytime soon. I am spending most of my time working on a new revision. Any generic 5 inch 40 pin TTL display that is 24-bit RGB (800x480p) should work in this version. As for the aluminum cases, I can’t really help you there. You’ll have to either reach out to a professional machinist to get them done if you can’t do it yourself, all of the files are on my GitHub and available. 3D printing the case as mentioned before can work but it’s very thin and feels cheap and flimsy. I have a couple of completed builds though that are for sale, if you’re interested you can message me through DM.

Last edited: