Reusing power mangment compents on the wii?

Portables
0.25 (just started)
I don't have a very big budget for my portable I want to build, so insted of paying a bunch of money for the power mangament circut, is it possable to reuse the compenents already on the wii? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Viilmo

Portables
I don't have a very big budget for my portable I want to build, so insted of paying a bunch of money for the power mangament circut, is it possable to reuse the compenents already on the wii? If so, how would I go about doing this?
It might be possible but it is not recommended as their efficiency is really bad.

Portables
0.25 (just started)
I don't really care about effciency right now, I just want my portable to work, and be relivly cheep

Viilmo

Portables
Then you might be interested in building something like a Wii laptop. You won't achieve anything small while using the stock regs so trimming would be just a waste of time. If you find a old car TV you could use it like I did
IMG_20230318_141051.jpg

This currently runs of wall power but its just the prototype. Don't forget that you'll need a 4s BMS, since the stock regs need atleast 10.2V to work. You might also want to check this thread out.

Portables
0.25 (just started)
in that case, is ther any cheep regs I can buy? Or a custum pcb I can get printed fro jlpcb and assemble myself?

Last edited:

Sm6413

I made my own portable wii using 12V car phone chargers as regulators, it works perfectly.

You need to find some then open them up and check the buck regulator's datasheet, then you check if the output current is enough, and if it's good then you change out the feedback resistor values (R1/R2 divider) to get your desired voltages using the formula in the datasheet. Double check output voltage before connecting to the wii.

Portables
0.25 (just started)
wow really? nice, I might look into that

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
CrazyGadget is working on a new PSU revision that reuses components from the Wii. If this is your goal, it might be worth waiting for the release of that project. it should be soonish

nvm am dumb

Last edited:

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
CrazyGadget is working on a new PSU revision that reuses components from the Wii. If this is your goal, it might be worth waiting for the release of that project. it should be soonish
Uh.... it doesn't use anything from the Wii... not sure where that came from. It's just a new revision that has a 1v8 reg and uses readily-available parts from digikey.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Uh.... it doesn't use anything from the Wii... not sure where that came from. It's just a new revision that has a 1v8 reg and uses readily-available parts from digikey.
Whoops, I must have zombie brained while reading that post..... sorry my dude

Portables
0.25 (just started)
Do you have an estamate for when that will be released?

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
After it's stress tested at MGC, so sometime early next month.

Portables
0.25 (just started)
nice!