Question OM6 Trim U10 relocation question

Basically the thread title, I have a 6 layer in addition to a 4 layer I've been working on, and I'm beginning to notice significant motherboard differences (obviously).

But the way I generally like to trim is verifying the U10 relocation pre-trim. On a 4 layer I have to cut a specific trace off of one of the soldering pads when replacing the u5 with u10.
But I'm not seeing a similar trace on my 6 layer. Does the 6 layer require a scratched trace if relocating u10 pre-trim?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Basically the thread title, I have a 6 layer in addition to a 4 layer I've been working on, and I'm beginning to notice significant motherboard differences (obviously).

But the way I generally like to trim is verifying the U10 relocation pre-trim. On a 4 layer I have to cut a specific trace off of one of the soldering pads when replacing the u5 with u10.
But I'm not seeing a similar trace on my 6 layer. Does the 6 layer require a scratched trace if relocating u10 pre-trim?
In the Trimming Guide there's a link in the second paragraph to the 6layer expansion guide. It lists all the important differences and what that means for relocations

BLWine

I'm running in to the same problem, the 6 layer guide simply states.

The U10 to U5 relocation spot remains available on all Wii revisions.
Kinda hard to search for this considering I cant search for U5 or U10 due to keyword length.

As far as I can tell on my CPU-20 revision, cutting the trace from the right side of C2 to the via worked. The via goes to one of the inner layers so I'm not 100% sure, but it worked and is the only extra trace compared to the 4-layer trim

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm running in to the same problem, the 6 layer guide simply states.

Kinda hard to search for this considering I cant search for U5 or U10 due to keyword length.

As far as I can tell on my CPU-20 revision, cutting the trace from the right side of C2 to the via worked. The via goes to one of the inner layers so I'm not 100% sure, but it worked and is the only extra trace compared to the 4-layer trim
Basically you need to cut any trace connected to the output pad of the U5 footprint. We're hijacking the output to send the signal to the U10 via, so the original path for that signal needs to be severed. The other leg on the 2 leg side of the U10 should be fed 3.3v from the existing footprint, and all the legs on the 3 leg side should already be connected to ground. If ever a U10 relocation has problems, those are the 2 things to check after first verifying the U10 via wire is properly connected.