Worklog An attempt to recreate the PS2 PCB

I bought the buttons on the psvita slim 2000, the button options are many, I'll look at these now and see if they match the case/shell.
the buttons of the psvita slim 2000 look really good
it's true when it comes to design there is always soo many options
Thanks for the tip
you welcome if it's help you I'm happy

and by the way seeing the great work you have done I think you should change your name from Mister M to Mister revolution (sorry for the lame joke:XD:)

Portables
Hi guys. The project is still ongoing and we have new updates. In 2018 I met Bitbiult and one of the things that fascinated me was the PCBs (Printed Circuit Board) the idea of being able to create boards for the projects we had in mind was an incredible thing. since late 2020 i am studying about PCB and reverse engineering on pcbs. Now I'm perfectly able to create any pcb I believe, so if you have a project in mind and want to hire me to do it, don't hesitate to call me, because I know it's very bad to look at a project, to have the ideas , but not knowing how to execute it and not having someone willing to do it.
I'll go all the way with this project and you will be updated on all the progress, difficulties, discoveries, challenges and finally completion.

This is the transformer on one of the versions of the 7900x,
View attachment 22908
With that I don't need to use an RJ45 connector that has built-in transformer, if you open the RJ45 connectors of the console end series, you will see the transformer inside.

WE CAN HAVE AN OVERVIEW OF HOW THE PROJECT IS GOING, IT HAS VERY SMALL DIMENSIONS.

View attachment 22893
View attachment 22901
View attachment 22896

The console PCB received another update, we updated the pcb with new custom regulators, digital audio amplifier with headphone output, thanks to @Gman, but also keeping the original audio dac, a micro sd card slot for load games via memorycard with the MX4SIO mod and USB-C to load the console, several FFC connectors for flat cables connecting the main board to the secondary boards. What's new in this update is the Ethernet transformer used in other console series.

View attachment 22906
View attachment 22904
View attachment 22903
View attachment 22907
View attachment 22905

Speaking of Ethernet transformer, I chose to use the PS2 with a game server, the device I chose was a well-known mini router that proved to be an excellent device for this function, being compact and consuming little battery, I decided to use it.

View attachment 22894

The use of a memory card can be used with an sd card, for this reason it has two card slots in the image, because I can create one of the options with the MX4SIO or the mini router, I can also create with the integrated circuit of the card an internal storage like a flash drive but then I would need to transfer data via USB and that's not what I want, so I created a pcb to connect the mini router and in it the sd card slot and an FFC connector to connect the PS2.

View attachment 22899
View attachment 22897
I created a 3d model of the mini router that is not functional, just to see how it will look and help when creating the shell.
View attachment 22895

View attachment 22900

View attachment 22898

I mentioned in a past post that I had also made a screen driver, and yes the screen driver is complete. In addition to the specific function, it also brings other functions such as the analog audio amplifier for those who prefer and thus keep the original play dac, it is also for this reason that it has another headphone jack and also has a slot to solder the memorycard if he wants. In the screen driver there is an STM32 responsible for the control and gaming on the console, the idea is from a friend called Epaminondas, the guy has amazing projects and things that can be revolutionary for this scenario of portable consoles. That is, it is a pcb with the peripheral functions of the console.

View attachment 22888
View attachment 22889
View attachment 22887

The screen commands and volume control and console power button.
View attachment 22885View attachment 22886View attachment 22884

The control buttons are inspired by PSvita, using the analog of the nintendo switch.

View attachment 22891

View attachment 22892

View attachment 22890

The project is in development and I'm not working with deadlines, my ideal is to make everything work out. Nothing is impossible, thinking that something is impossible is just a matter of opinion.

Need to create your pcb? I am here.
Amazing work,

I have tried this 3G/4G router without the RJ45 port on the PS2 and it did not work, i had to resolder the jack for it to start reading the games.

Amazing work,

I have tried this 3G/4G router without the RJ45 port on the PS2 and it did not work, i had to resolder the jack for it to start reading the games.
The reason it doesn't work without the RJ45 port is because of the ethernet transformer present in the connector, as I reported in some posts back, it only works with this transformer either internal or external to the RJ45 port.

beke23

Any thoughts on whether the pixel fx gem could be integrated into this project?

Miggas

Sorry I did not understand your question.
I think his question was, if the PixelFX GEM which is a mod that taps into the digital video signal coming out of the EE+GS and converts it into HDMI, completely bypassing the video encoder chip that decreases image quality by converting the digital signal into analogue signal, can be made to work with this project?
I think it's a good idea, not sure on the difficulty to make the necessary changes to accommodate the Mod, this would bring very high quality picture to the already amazing project you're creating. Hope this helps,

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I think his question was, if the PixelFX GEM which is a mod that taps into the digital video signal coming out of the EE+GS and converts it into HDMI, completely bypassing the video encoder chip that decreases image quality by converting the digital signal into analogue signal, can be made to work with this project?
I think it's a good idea, not sure on the difficulty to make the necessary changes to accommodate the Mod, this would bring very high quality picture to the already amazing project you're creating. Hope this helps,
The mod is quite expensive, $190 for decent deinterlacing and 1080p. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work, though.

I have two options, I can make a mod that takes the RGB888 from the GS "GPU" from the PS2 and converts it to an HDMI output or I can convert the RGB888 from the GS into MIPI DSI, this DSI signal is used on smartphone screens, PSVITA among others devices. The mod I'm currently working on is RGB to DSI and I intend to use a PSVITA screen.

Miggas

I have two options, I can make a mod that takes the RGB888 from the GS "GPU" from the PS2 and converts it to an HDMI output or I can convert the RGB888 from the GS into MIPI DSI, this DSI signal is used on smartphone screens, PSVITA among others devices. The mod I'm currently working on is RGB to DSI and I intend to use a PSVITA screen.
I was thinking of using an HDMI screen as those are more widely available and cheaper, for the RGB to DSI, what RGB are you using? The RGB888 from the GS or the RGB from the video encoder?

I was thinking of using an HDMI screen as those are more widely available and cheaper, for the RGB to DSI, what RGB are you using? The RGB888 from the GS or the RGB from the video encoder?
My first idea was to use a screen driver with an HDMI input, I was going to take the RGB888 signal from the GPU and convert it to an HDMI signal and then take that HDMI signal and transmit it to the screen driver, however, I thought a lot, discussed the idea with some friends and we thought about the possibility of eliminating the amount of signal conversion bridges, so I came to RGB to DSI, it will be just a chip between the GS "GPU" and the screen, DSI screens are incomparably cheaper than TFT, TTL screens, LVDS and others, the image quality of the standard DSI screens are superior to the others, for example, we have the LED and amoled ones, the PSVITA 1000 screen is a good screen and it is very cheap, so I am working on projects to use it, but really with these designs any MIPI DSI screen can be used and it goes beyond the PS2.

RGB888 is 24bit RGB, this signal is output from the GS and goes to the video DAC.

So I'm curious how you added the SD card to this?
Since SD card mod for the slim solders in an IDE connector. Or is there another place to add it to the board without changing the BIOS

So I'm curious how you added the SD card to this?
Since SD card mod for the slim solders in an IDE connector. Or is there another place to add it to the board without changing the BIOS
In this project I intended to use a mini modem with SMB through the ethernet port with a microSD card reader for USB.
The chip that gave us an HDD port was removed from the PS2 starting with version 79k, making such an adaptation impossible at the moment.

I don't think I've ever seen an ethernet to SD card before. The only thing I can see is Arduino and that does 600kb a second.
Also silly question as I haven't looked closely at the differences between 79k & 70k, but isn't the DVD drive an IDE drive so, shouldn't the controller still be there? So it could be added back in?

The PS2 board has arrived, now it's time to work on it, no more just designing, now let's complete this project that has been in development for years, it took a lot of learning and improvement to get here. Reverse engineering is not an easy task, especially when you are working on so many other projects.
IMG_20231209_080323.jpg
IMG_20231209_080336.jpg
IMG-20231208-WA0084.jpeg