Question What are the best portable versions of these consoles?

I asked a similar question on a Reddit board and I was recommended this site. To put the long story short, I am looking for portable consoles to replace my old consoles as I want to play them while I travel. I am kind of new to this as I used to have the original consoles before I sold them. I still have some of my games but I wonder what are the best versions of these consoles? The consoles that I am looking for are:
  1. PlayStation 2
  2. PlayStation 1
  3. Sega Genesis
  4. Super Nintendo
  5. Sega Dreamcast
  6. Nintendo GameCube
Can anyone recommend me some good portable versions of these gaming consoles?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Define "good portable versions". Are you asking about publically available cases and kits?

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
I asked a similar question on a Reddit board and I was recommended this site. To put the long story short, I am looking for portable consoles to replace my old consoles as I want to play them while I travel. I am kind of new to this as I used to have the original consoles before I sold them. I still have some of my games but I wonder what are the best versions of these consoles? The consoles that I am looking for are:
  1. PlayStation 2
  2. PlayStation 1
  3. Sega Genesis
  4. Super Nintendo
  5. Sega Dreamcast
  6. Nintendo GameCube
Can anyone recommend me some good portable versions of these gaming consoles?
This forum is meant primarily for people who want to turn their consoles into battery powered handhelds. If that's what you're looking for, willkommen mein freund. If you're looking for an emulation device that can emulate the consoles, I've heard a lot of positive things about the Odin handheld.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ah yes, the well known pencil stache enthusiast phrase: saying hello

Define "good portable versions". Are you asking about publically available cases and kits?
I was referring to decent hardware and good emulation. I guess I was referring to kits or systems that allow me to put in the CDs into the system.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was referring to decent hardware and good emulation. I guess I was referring to kits or systems that allow me to put in the CDs into the system.
Afaik no such things exist for the PS1, PS2, Gamecube, or Wii. Portables here are created using real system hardware with additional hardware or software to eliminate the need for the disc drives, no emulation to be found outside of Windows and Pi builds. There are several commercial handhelds out there with enough juice to emulate PS1, and some that can manage most Gamecube games, but I've yet to hear of one that can do PS2. Also handhelds of that calibre cost many hundreds to over a thousand US dollars.

Check out a YouTube channel by a guy named Taki Udon. He does in depth reviews on all the current handheld emulation systems on the market. The AYN Odin that AFE mentioned looks really solid for anything up to PS1/Dreamcast. The AYA Neo also looks like it’s going to be awesome and might pull off some PS2 titles.

Like the other guys said, this site is geared more toward DIY projects to create handhelds using original hardware.