Worklog ScrambledFrequency's Wii R&D Thread.

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
This is a thread I'm making to document my little Wii projects in progress before posting them in their own thread. For now I'm gonna document progress on an OMEGA trim I'm working on.
IMG_0254.JPG

I intended to use the NAND flex boards from 4layer. However, I wrecked both trying to fix some joints that weren't connecting. Rather than order more flex boards, I said, "Screw it, I'm doing this by HAND!!"
IMG_0256.JPG

It works!
Has anyone else done a full NAND relocation by hand?
If anyone is curious, I used these threads as a reference.
Nold's OMEGA Trim worklog
Shockslayer's NAND Relocation Thread
Also check out the compendium, it's super helpful!
Big thanks to @ShockSlayer for releasing his notes on the NAND Relocation,
@Aurelio for coding the wizardry that is RVLoader,
Anyone else who helped make this trim possible,
And, of course, the awesome folks on BitBuilt, for answering all my dumb questions and offering helpful tips and advice.
I've got more planned soon (not sure when), so keep an eye out for more cool updates.

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
IMG_0281.JPG

Just a little teaser for something I'm working on. Will assemble in a few days. Can you guess what this is?

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Not to rain on your parade, but what width are those traces? For carrying up to transients and load currents of 2A like the Wii draws, I would be very surprised if the regulator board functions at all. You should use the polygon tool in your CAD program to make voltage and ground input/output planes so that there is no voltage drops. The general rule is more current = thicker/wider trace widths required.

ScrambledFrequency

Custom title wanter
Portables
You're right, they are pretty skinny. I realized that when I ordered them. These are just to test to make sure the reg board can make the voltages I need.
I am not intending to power the Wii on these as a permanent solution, or possibly at all.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
The datasheet for the part you're using will often have a recommended layout and/or a list of layout guidelines. Often you can just copy the provided layout if you aren't comfortable winging it!

Also, here are two application notes I really like that walk you through making a good switching converter layout:
AN-1149 Layout Guidelines for Switching Power Supplies
Five steps to a great PCB layout for a step-down converter

1660459491631.png

The gist is to put the inductor, input caps, and output caps as close to the IC as possible to minimize loop area, while using very short, very wide traces. Like StonedEdge said, polygons make it a piece of cake.