Solved Is my wii fried, and if not how do I fix this

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It’s actually 3.16 out and 3.2 in, I think my PTHs are .1 off.

Also I’m using 22 gauge wire for gnd.

third, is there any way to verify the cut trace without desoldering the u10

fourth, I think I cut it properly since I did the u10 relocation before trimming and the board still booted.
I would adjust the PTH resistor so that you're actually getting 3.3v. it's always better to be a little over than under. Also, I would add another ground wire or use a thicker wire. The voltage may drop over the wire from the increased resistance of the thinner wire.

I would adjust the PTH resistor so that you're actually getting 3.3v. it's always better to be a little over than under. Also, I would add another ground wire or use a thicker wire. The voltage may drop over the wire from the increased resistance of the thinner wire.

I added another gnd wire and it hasn’t helped at all. Do you have advice for some resistors I could use? I couldn’t find the exact right ones.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I added another gnd wire and it hasn’t helped at all. Do you have advice for some resistors I could use? I couldn’t find the exact right ones.
If you can't get the exact resistance you need you can use two series resistors to give you some more flexibility. But it should be possible to get the right value with one resistor. Pick the value such that if it's a little off the voltage is like 3.35V instead of 3.25V for example.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What nominal voltage does this laptop charger output? Technically the input voltage shouldn't be more than 10v above the output voltage when using PTH regs, so 12v is max you should be using due to the 1v and 1.15v lines. I don't know if it would cause the trouble you're experiencing tho. I'd still try a lower voltage supply just to be sure

What nominal voltage does this laptop charger output? Technically the input voltage shouldn't be more than 10v above the output voltage when using PTH regs, so 12v is max you should be using due to the 1v and 1.15v lines. I don't know if it would cause the trouble you're experiencing tho. I'd still try a lower voltage supply just to be sure
I just realized it’s actually 19.3v

I thought it was 12.

What’s the minimum I can use?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I just realized it’s actually 19.3v

I thought it was 12.

What’s the minimum I can use?
Oof, yeah the PTH regs are only rated to 18v max input.

The minimum input voltage is 4.5v or (vOut + 1.1v), whichever is greater. So because of the 5v line, you need an input voltage of 6.1v or higher. A 9v supply is ideal for powering a Wii with PTH regs, but you'll most likely have to buy one as most appliances nowdays use 12v supplies. Which you can still use for testing btw. 12v is okay to use, you just don't want to power them off 12v for ages.

The minimum input voltage is 4.5v or (vOut + 1.1v), whichever is greater. So because of the 5v line, you need an input voltage of 6.1v or higher. A 9v supply is ideal for powering a Wii with PTH regs, but you'll most likely have to buy one as most appliances nowdays use 12v supplies. Which you can still use for testing btw. 12v is okay to use, you just don't want to power them off 12v for ages.

yeah, big oof on my part
I have a 12v power supply coming in the mail.
The PTHs are probably fried, right?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
yeah, big oof on my part
I have a 12v power supply coming in the mail.
The PTHs are probably fried, right?
It's possible that they aren't, after all you weren't _that_ far out of the acceptable input range. If they were still outputting on your last test they could still be fine. Of course it's possible that they are damaged. You'll just have to see when you try with the new power supply.

they seemed to still be outputting the correct voltage, so I think they'll be ok. I have a 12v psu coming later today so i'll test it once it arrives

Question, could I use a 5V Power supply and just wire the 5v line directly?

You can, but keep in mind at 5v input voltage the regulators will draw more current, so you will a power supply that can deliver at least 2 amps.
I think i'd need more than 2a in order to get enough watts for the wii right?

how many watts does the wii need?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Oh so it was the supply voltage then. Guess I should add that to the list of "shit what causes Wiis to act fucky"